What's new

32 hurt in Big Dipper Crash

Brookes

Giga Poster
This is a real shame, it seems like it was always going to happen though with how old it is. I'm going in a couple of weeks and wanted to ride it as I haven't ridden it before, but hopefully they will open Rollercoaster instead.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Accidents are popular reads with everybody and sometimes there can be a negative backlash so a fair perspective must be documented.

Thats right and hopefully the public don't panick after seeing this accident and the one which happened on Invertigo a few days ago. We wouldn't want to see people put off visiting parks.

Its awful to see any accident were people are injured at a park. From the photo on the BBC site it appears at least the train stayed on the track and its looks intact. Hopefully there isn't much damage done.

Nice to see CF get a mention in the article too.

marc

CF Legend
The public are already in a panic saying they wont go on it again etc, I wonder if they know about the Big One accident lol.

I still find it strange that 2 trains would be on the track at the same time when there is no way to stop the 2nd train if the 1st one does not make it round. I bet if and when then coaster opens again they will change this, so the next train can not go until the first is back.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
jokerman said:
It does seem risky putting two trains out on track if there are no block sections to stop crashes.

Big Dipper has been open since 1923.

It used to run on three trains.

This is its first crash.

I think that says it all really, I think its come down to human error and I am pretty sure it wont happen again.

marc

CF Legend
If the train got stuck had passed the point that they are allowed to send the 2nd train it can not be put down to human error. It has to be put down to the park procedures I would have thought?

As you say though I am sure it will change from now on.

The trains are bloody strong though, the 2nd one looks in ok shape.

Emmett

Giga Poster
jokerman said:
^I could not understand a word said by the man they interviewed after the fireman.

:lol: , that guy is Irish and I couldn't even understand everything he was saying. There is always one around anytime there is a big news story.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I still find it strange that 2 trains would be on the track at the same time when there is no way to stop the 2nd train if the 1st one does not make it round

This past my mind last week, when queuing for Infusion. I noticed that the trains on BD were being dispatched very quickly, and at one point, one train was at the top of the main lift hill, and the other was still on the last couple of drops.

I thought that is a bit risky runnining it like that. After all, on Nash, they wait for the other trains to be back in the station before sending the others.

Nothing really needs to be changed, apart from staff training. Only dispatch train one, when train two is back in the station. Pretty simple really, and pretty obvious, this should already be in place for a ride like BD. With the way they have been running it, it was bound to happen.

(Another ride to add to the ever growning closed rides list at BPB...)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
As soon as I told my mum last night,s he panicked and told me she was worried for me xD I then had to explain you're more likely to be killed on injured getting to the park than at the park itself.

It's a shame. This accident has made it quite high up in the news, and so it should, as crashes like this are very rare. After all, that is the only reason why it is such big news.

Human error? Yes, as well as errors that could not be prevented.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
I still find it strange that 2 trains would be on the track at the same time when there is no way to stop the 2nd train if the 1st one does not make it round

This past my mind last week, when queuing for Infusion. I noticed that the trains on BD were being dispatched very quickly, and at one point, one train was at the top of the main lift hill, and the other was still on the last couple of drops.

I thought that is a bit risky runnining it like that. After all, on Nash, they wait for the other trains to be back in the station before sending the others.

Nothing really needs to be changed, apart from staff training. Only dispatch train one, when train two is back in the station. Pretty simple really, and pretty obvious, this should already be in place for a ride like BD. With the way they have been running it, it was bound to happen.

(Another ride to add to the ever growning closed rides list at BPB...)

Rollercoaster and Goldmine have re-opened as permanent attractions.

And I doubt much will change, they havent run Big Dipper any different this year, than they have done in the past, except when it ran three trains and the dispatch time was even quicker.

marc

CF Legend
Yes but you can bet they wont run it like that any more Bicko that is what I am saying.

They will probably wait now until the 1st train is back, for the sake of a few minutes this could have been avoided.

Lessons have to be learnt.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
marc said:
Yes but you can bet they wont run it like that any more Bicko that is what I am saying.

They will probably wait now until the 1st train is back, for the sake of a few minutes this could have been avoided.

Lessons have to be learnt.

I honestly doubt they will change the way its run.

When PMBO had its crash, they didnt change the way it run.

When Avalanche had its crash, they didnt change the way that run either.

They will sort the issues out, and then once its re-open, I am pretty sure it will have quick dispatch times.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
AmandaPanda said:
^ I thought they made the MCBR slow the train down more? Does that count?

They didnt change anything.

The only major change now, is that they run two trains, instead of three trains, but the two times it crashed, it was running on two trains.

If they wanted, they could use three trains again, they usually test it on three trains in the morning.