What's new

Reopen American Adventure Theme Park

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
And I thought the people still trying to save Geauga Lake from evil Cedar Fair's corporate greed had no lives.

rob666

Hyper Poster
You could get half a million people on it...but it will still not happen.
Absolute waste of time and effort.
It closed because it was not making money, nothing has changed, it will not reopen, ever.

Gazza

Giga Poster
4c8661f932c2ae569bb0e110a68385a59ac7f5f5c8c11292e88908d239c0cb17.jpg
Screenshot_20180108-205908.jpg

davidm

Strata Poster
A petition to bring back the park will now be discussed at an Amber Valley Borough Council meeting on January 24.
LOL!
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/owner-american-adventure-site-speaks-1041747
The managing director of the owners of the site, near Ilkeston, said “as far as I am concerned there is no prospect of a theme park” returning even though there is a groundswell of support.
LOLx2.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/american-adventure-unlikely-returned-former-1027257

Will

Strata Poster
Their manager sounds a right miserable git :p

All joking aside though, I'm amazed this was deemed newsworthy - but then Derbyshire's not exactly the most lively place in the world!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What a waste of time.
Declan Salmon, 19, of Newhall near Swadlincote in Derbyshire, set up the petition 22 months ago.
Says it all really, doesn't it? Some goon wants the creds in his backyard, with no practical outlook on how it's actually going to happen. Moron.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wow. Enough signatures to half fill Thorpe or Alton on a single day?

So if those people are willing to commit to say, going for about a quarter of all opening days of the park each year - that would at least show some sign of potential commercial success.

THAT would have people listening.

Maybe they should crowdfund at a few grand each to show how serious they are?

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster
From the drone footage on that article the place looks in a better state now than when it was open!

Still, I look forward to a dark ride depicting how it looked in the opening days: a Wild West saloon at one end, a pirate ship at the other and a long strip of tarmac in the middle. Certainly give the Haunted Mansion a run for it's money.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This thread kind of makes me curious as to how the place was managing to be open at all. Did it ever make any sort of money, and how?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's kind of quite a long and complicated history, but essentially.

It opened in the late 80's with quite a bang and without any massive amounts of competition. Alton Towers at the time wasn't really THAT much and Drayton Manor was still finding a place. So locally, it was okay in terms of competition.

There was good investment initially, but that dried up due to changes of ownership, etc. Basically, the interest in competing with the bulldozering advances of DMP, Alton, Blackpool (and further afield parks) just wasn't there. Also other bad investments from companies and the like. Basically, no money to really become what it needed to be.

Once you're on that decline, there's no coming back. If you can't have a line up or USP that makes you distinct from other places within an hour of your location, there's no point by the time you hit the 2000's.

It was definitely popular to start off with and well regarded in the early years. It just didn't get the investment. Bit of locals complaining and difficult planning permission and that's it.

At a push, it could have maybe tried to continue like Twin Lakes and just appeal to young families, but Twin Lakes bought most of their stuff LOL

There just wasn't the interest from investors, locals or potential guests. I think it probably made money in those early years.

I love the history of the place though. Owned initially by the same group that owned Camelot, then sold to John Broome's company (who built Alton Towers (along with numerous other failed theme park enterprises, including Trentham Gardens between Stafford and Stoke and Battersea power station)). It was then taken over by the group who had Blackpool Tower, who Merlin then eventually got the Tower from. It's all wonderfully incestuous in the UK Theme Park industry :)

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I love the history of the place though. Owned initially by the same group that owned Camelot
Yes, that period when Granada TV ran three theme parks and Little Chef, before it all went wrong thanks to ITV digital.
then sold to John Broome's company (who built Alton Towers (along with numerous other failed theme park enterprises, including Trentham Gardens between Stafford and Stoke and Battersea power station)). It was then taken over by the group who had Blackpool Tower, who Merlin then eventually got the Tower from. It's all wonderfully incestuous in the UK Theme Park industry :)
I think it's closer than you imagine - Hemmings and Broome are still in business together, wheeling and dealing.

Will

Strata Poster
Yes, that period when Granada TV ran three theme parks and Little Chef, before it all went wrong thanks to ITV digital.
I do remember that, there used to be adverts for them at the services - was always very curious about this ludicrous looking thing
Skytrak.jpg

Smithy

Strata Poster
I feel like a like doesn't really do justice, but thank you Furie for the brief history lesson.

Far more valuable a post than this topic deserves.

Matt N

CF Legend
If this actually happens, then it won't be reopening the park, will it? Because all the rides and theming were demolished, you'd basically have to build a new theme park, so there's no point unless you've got lots of money.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I feel like a like doesn't really do justice, but thank you Furie for the brief history lesson.

Absolutely doesn't. I didn't even touch on how Granada took over the Forte group - who were responsible for close Belle Vue in Manchester LOL

The UK amusement industry (apart from what we have today) was a catalogue of disasters from the early 70's. Mostly due to dodgy dealings and takeovers.

It's really a tale of greed, corporations and rampant NIMBYism :)