Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reopen American Adventure Theme Park

Discussion in 'General Discussions & Opinions' started by CrashCoaster, Dec 30, 2017.

1. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    I know the chance of this place reopening is slim, but a petition on Change.org, that will be sent to the council has reached over 9,800 signatures out of 10,000. So, I think we could help out, if some of you could sign this. Are you really a true enthusiast if you don't? By the way, it's free. I think this is likely to reopen more than the London resort construction ever starting.

Here's the petition:- https://www.change.org/p/derbyshire...-and-reopen-the-american-adventure-theme-park

2. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Balder
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Are you serious?

I'll park the whole "Change.org is such a :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing stupid 2017 thing where idiots think they can change the world by typing their email address" argument and focus on just how utterly, utterly pointless the whole discussion is.

And I know I'm not the only one because I've seen people try and defend it with "you never know" paper-thin replies on Facebook.

The chance of the place re-opening isn't slim. Slim implies there's actually a chance. The closest you're going to get to an American Adventure is if you're travelling to the states from a majority Muslim country in the near future.

What would signing this achieve? Are the council just going to decide to open up the mass of open, empty land, take on the massive loss-making site and pump imaginary money into it to get it back operating again?

Do these 9800 idiots think if they kick and scream loud enough a business just appears out of thin air with the money, expertise, experience and desire to run a successful theme park?

Matt N, Jarrett, Edward M and 12 others like this.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Who Knows...
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Yeah, there's a reason the place shut down in the first place...

4. Mysterious Sue

Mysterious Sue Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Schwur des Kärnan
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    This obviously won't happen because, as has been said, you can't simply petition a business into existence.

However, you can't knock petitions entirely...sometimes. For example, forcing the government to debate things can be quite useful, even if it's just to keep it on the agenda. I signed one against the badger cull that was later debated in the commons and the published discussion was actually really interesting.

But a theme park coming back from the dead...err no.

GigaG likes this.
  5. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Imagine being Derbyshire County Council reading this petition and actually considering re-opening a former failing theme park for 10,000 people. Now imagine the headlines.

Pokemaniac likes this.
  6. gavin

gavin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Dunno
    Best Park:
    Tokyo DisneySea
    Coaster Count:
    Nah.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Lofty likes this.
  7. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I like following construction of rides all over the world, travelling ages to places to ride a bloody Wacky Worm for a +1 to my count, spending countless hours go ride great rides, etc. etc.

But I'm not a true enthusiast because I'm not putting my email on a petition.

K.

Matt N, Lofty and Benenen like this.
  8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Balder
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/counc...n_search_index/budget_consultation_201718.asp

Sandman likes this.
  9. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    I've seen these sort of petitions at a local level for years with residents pushing for a re-opening of Frontierland. The best bit is that the local council are struggling to even get a bargain basement business like B&M (not the manufacturer) onto the site. If you can't get a :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing home bargains, how are you expecting a theme park?

10. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    With this compelling argument, I'm amazed it only has 9,800 'signatures' :eek:

In reality, I'm shocked that what is effectively the inane babbling of an over-enthusastic millennial has managed to attract that much interest.

CSLKennyNI likes this.
  11. davidm

davidm Well-Known Member

Someone just needs to write "Giga" in the Derbyshire mud and it's a nailed on certainty.

toofpikk, Pokemaniac, Matt N and 4 others like this.
  12. Matt N

Matt N Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Mako
    Best Park:
    Alton Towers
    Coaster Count:
    If they were to reopen the park, then they would basically have to build a whole new theme park from scratch, because the park has been shut for 11, going on 12, years now, all of the roller coasters and other rides have been removed so it's basically now a flat, withering bit of land, so if they were to "reopen" the park, then it would be a completely different park to what once was, so it's better to call it a new park. And for it to be popular or for it to have a remote chance of succeeding, it would either have to be built by a large and well known company or it would have to have some sort of commercial backing. I don't know this for certain, but something tells me that you can't just build a theme park from the ground up with a couple million pounds anymore. You need big money to build a proper theme park now. Yes, I know there was a project considered in Llanelli a couple of years ago with a load of Vekomas in it, but that sort of disappeared into nowhere. Basically, what I'm saying is that in American Adventure's current state (flat bit of land with no trace that a theme park ever existed there), it's not reopening American Adventure because you're basically having to build a new park, and that's not financially viable unless it's got major financial backing (e.g. London Resort) or is being built by a large, well-known company (e.g. Six Flags Dubai and the number of Legolands Merlin is spurting out). It could be possible to build a theme park with a couple million pounds and a flat plot of land and it could be successful for all I know, I'm ever the optimist. For reference, I still think that London Resort has a chance of happening, and judging by you guys' opinions, that takes a certain degree of optimism. I think it would only have been good for them to pursue reopening American Adventure if there was infrastructure and some rides still there (e.g. SFNO and Kentucky Kingdom from 2010 to 2014), which there obviously isn't at American Adventure.
    P.S. Sorry for the long post.

13. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    ^You apologize way too much. :)

Matt N likes this.
  14. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I hate to be the dissident voice (actually, that's a total lie) but I think there's more chance of Woolworths reopening. In fact, I miss Woolworths more than AA.
    Also, that bloody petition website sends me too much spam email as it is.

Matt N likes this.
  15. Lofty

Lofty Social Media Team Staff Member Social Media Team

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    What a :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing stupid petition.

16. CrashCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    Well it has just cleared 10K supporters, and the new target is 15K, just saying.

17. toofpikk

toofpikk Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Wicked Cyclone
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    wow

so??

18. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Balder
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    [​IMG]

Benenen and Matt N like this.
  19. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Mountain monkey Staff Member Administrator Moderator Social Media Team

Increase that by three orders of magnitude, then maybe it'll get somewhere. Maybe.

20. Edward M

Edward M Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Tokyo Disneysea
    Coaster Count: