What's new

Zip World Tower | Tower Coaster | Wiegand CoasterKart | 2021

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Certainly longer and more substantial than expected, still not rushing down to ride it, especially at £25 a go...

Dial up the speed a bit and you'll have a much better ride, and more worth the journey.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
From what I've been hearing, the ride actually runs faster when the track is dry, and the weather was **** in that POV. I actually saw clips of another POV from a news article I read about the coaster where the weather was fine, and it did actually look to be running a bit faster.

I've also heard it runs faster on-ride than how it appears in POVs; I think how wide the track is compared to regular alpine coasters also doesn't help the appearance of speed. Here is a vlog from Coaster Crazy from the site where Andy checks out the new coaster, there is some cool drone footage towards the end of the video that I have set the video time stamp to (28:38):-

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've also heard it runs faster on-ride than how it appears in POVs; I think how wide the track is compared to regular alpine coasters also doesn't help the appearance of speed.
I do think that first POV from Coaster Crazy suffered a lot from the "GoPro effect". On flat ground with relatively little other stuff around to help the perception of speed, I'm sure it looked worse than in reality.

Will

Strata Poster
I notice coastercount seem to have decided this is a cred - at £25 a time (not to mention the rather inconvenient location), I'm hoping the majority disagree!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
In my opinion, if you consider a normal powered coaster (e.g. from Mack or Zamperla) to be a cred, this should be too. It's fundamentally no different imo besides the fact you control your speed. Honestly, I'm surprised Wiegand Bobsleds/Bobkarts aren't considered creds when Mack/Intamin Bobsleds often are.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This actually sort-of cropped up before, and I went on to cover these models later in the thread:

I think these would fall under their own category for me, and look something like this:
Normal Coaster - rails, no speed control, uphill coasting = coaster
Powered Coaster - rails, no speed control, requires to be fully powered round the whole circuit = coaster
Mack Bobsled - no rails, no speed control, uphill coasting = coaster
Alpine Coaster - rails, speed control, no uphill coasting = not a coaster*
Powered Slide - no rails, speed control, requires to be fully powered round the whole circuit = not a coaster
Alpine Slide - no rails, speed control, no uphill coasting = not a coaster
Alpine Cart - rails, speed control, requires to be fully powered round the whole circuit = not a coaster

To my mind it comes down to the "steps removed" argument again. These feel like one too many for me.

Will

Strata Poster
Probably infinitely more fun than an SBF Visa spinner though, so I'll bare it in mind if I'm ever anywhere near Swansea :)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Sorry to bump this topic but looks like this may now have closed permanently. A member of the ECC has been in contact with Zip World, and they have apparently confirmed the closure.

Unfortunately haven't ridden it myself but it did look fun. However, if the ride can't run in rain, it's not going to hold up in Wales...

Edit: screenshot removed on request of ECC.

Last edited:

cocoa

Mega Poster
lolwut

did the electronics fry, or is it just that it rains all the time? pretty funny all up

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Great news... Looks like the ride is staying and is reopening this weekend!