What's new

Youtube muting protest.

Just uploaded the first of mine. It's probably a complete waste of time, but at least I'm doing something other than sitting and whining on a Rollercoaster website about it :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7AjJtEY9Ow[/youtube]

Record companies seem to be completely oblivious to how stuff like this can IMPROVE sales.

I mean.. could you see Rick Astley requesting every single piece of his music was removed?

And how many of you younger ones wouldve even HEARD of Rick Astley if it wasnt for youtube rickrolls?

I don't have a youtbe account, so I wont be joining in the protest, but I admire those of you who are doing something about it. Good on you.

Smelly said:
And how many of you younger ones wouldve even HEARD of Rick Astley if it wasnt for youtube rickrolls?
Me.

But anyway, moving back on topic, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't been muted yet. Two of my videos had copyright claims made on them by UMG, but because they're more sensible they just put adverts next to my video and left the music as it is.

If and probably when they mute any of mine I'll follow Furie's excellent example.

Until then...

jayjay said:
Two of my videos had copyright claims made on them by UMG, but because they're more sensible they just put adverts next to my video and left the music as it is.

Ditto. I had the same thing on one of my videos, I was asked to either remove the video or place an ad next to my video. Umm, let me think that one over guys...Advert should be fine :roll: At least one company is being clever about this.

I'm going to check my videos for muting, if any of them are muted I'll join in on this protest, sounds like an excellent idea Furie. Lets hope these fools of the music industry wake up one day and smell the bacon.

Ollie said:
Lol I'm working towards getting on that Partner program. I'm about halfway there now which is good. :D

You do realise Ollie that once Saw is open your subscribers will ebb away. Its a sad fact of life that once the purpose of your videos has gone then your subscribers decide they don't see a point viewing your videos.

But good luck anyway :--D I'm sure if you will find some way of keeping them with your talent, I've just had this problem before :lol:

I'm joining, I've never had the problem but I know a friend who had it really badly and they are letting me use their vid to protest!

I'll post it here when I am done

^It's not just SAW videos I make though. I'm being clever and giving them what they want. Since the ride has a massive following of people on Youtube my Saw videos get thousands of views in days. Once it's open I'll probably do a POV or something which will get loads as not everyone can get to the park to ride it.

Then I'll just continue making videos of coasters and parks like I did before my Saw videos. And all the subscribers I got during this period will be notified of my new videos and will view them because they liked my other ones.

You've got to be clever and not just throw in random videos. And give them what they want to see.

I have decided to create a Facebook group similar to this cause. I have searched on Facebook for a similar group that shares the same values, but failed to find one, so as far as I am aware, my group is unique.

Please join and invite all your friends. It must not just be CF users who suffer, but probably all your friends as well.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35474744976&ref=nf

or search 'Stop music companies muting videos on Youtube!'

EDIT: There are others :p Oh well, join this one anyway and make it bigger than the others :p

^That's funny because I searched Youtube Muting groups on Facebook and found about 6 straight away. :p

^Damn :p There are 5 other than mien on the page, but only 3 with a similar to mine in the title.

But they are tiny. I hope this group will be huge :D

My one and only video that I've ever posted on there,has been muted.

As it's just the one,I'm not too bothered,but I could see people with multiple videos being very pissed off.

I'm tempted to go and just pull it off.

As far a I can see, If you infringe copyright laws and get caught. Then you should accept the punishment. Just because you see it as good advertisment does not make it so.

If you shoplift and get caught. You should take the punishment. Just because you say its in the shop's best interest does not make it so.

I agree, but this isn't quite the same. When you're not profiting from it - where is the harm? When all it does is increase awareness, then where is the harm?

That's why I'm not complaining about me breaking some law, I am, and fair enough. The point is though that the law is being used by the companies against their own, and their clients interests. It's a protest against the ridiculous situation, not so much against "being caught".

This is like taking a Mars bar from a shop, leaving £1 on the shelf for it rather than going through the till - with a note to the shop keeper saying "keep the change".

It's still shop lifting even if you left the money for it. Yet the shop is in money from it, and you have made the effort. If everyone did that, the shop would be making lots of money, and would be fools to start arresting everyone who did it.

furie said:
I agree, but this isn't quite the same. When you're not profiting from it - where is the harm? When all it does is increase awareness, then where is the harm?

Using music on a public, youtube video means that possibly lots of people will see it. These people are now able to listen to that music whenever they want without paying a penny. The musicians are then losing money which they have rightfully earned.

It does increase awarness but only a small percentage of people will go out and buy the musicians singles as the music is available for free by the click of a mouse. If you offer somone the choice of buying a piece of music or getting it for free on the internet, they are much more likely to choose the latter.

That's why I'm not complaining about me breaking some law, I am, and fair enough. The point is though that the law is being used by the companies against their own, and their clients interests. It's a protest against the ridiculous situation, not so much against "being caught".

Being exposed across the internet will not nesessarily increase sales. Popular musicians with music being widely sold will lose money as the music can now be easily listened to over the internet. Is it really that ridiculous for a buisness to protect it's profits?

This is like taking a Mars bar from a shop, leaving £1 on the shelf for it rather than going through the till - with a note to the shop keeper saying "keep the change".

It's still shop lifting even if you left the money for it. Yet the shop is in money from it, and you have made the effort. If everyone did that, the shop would be making lots of money, and would be fools to start arresting everyone who did it.

I agree with you on this point but if you then went on to reproduce this Mars Bar and distrbute to the public for free then you have broken copyright laws and the shop which sold you this initial chocolate will end up losing money.

Sorry, but I think it's crap.

How many people have put my Southport Holiday video on their iPod so they can listen to a poor quality version of Holiday by Green Day while they're on the bus?

There's not a single person out there who will choose to listen to a poor quality YouTube broadcast copy of a song instead of getting hold of a decent copy of it. It's like saying that because you can listen to music on the radio - nobody will ever sell a CD. Radio play hurts record sales.

It doesn't. People who buy music, will buy music. People who buy music need to find ways of discovering new music to buy. YouTube hurts nobody any more than any other radio station (and remember, this is about an argument over the cost of the license fee for YouTube to pay for them to allow music to be played - just like radio, only they want more).

The only people losing out are the musicians and the people who love their stuff enough to add to a video online.

Don't forget though, furie, that the musicians get royalties whenever their songs get played on the radio. I agree that muting is wrong, but you are gonna need a better argument than that.

There's not a single person out there who will choose to listen to a poor quality YouTube broadcast copy of a song instead of getting hold of a decent copy of it.

Say your sitting at your computer would you go out to buy CD or listen to the version which availble for free at the click of a mouse. I'm not saying I dont do it because god knows I'm one of the worst culprits.

It's like saying that because you can listen to music on the radio - nobody will ever sell a CD. Radio play hurts record sales.

It doesn't. People who buy music, will buy music. People who buy music need to find ways of discovering new music to buy. YouTube hurts nobody any more than any other radio station.

Radio is very different to the internet. You can only hear particular songs on the radio when the station chooses to play them. The public dont get a choice to play what they want to hear. On youtube however, in a matter of seconds, anyone, anywhere can find the music they want to hear whenever they want, for free. This means they dont need to wait around for song to be played on the radio or go out to buy the CD.

The only people losing out are the musicians and the people who love their stuff enough to add to a video online.

The musicians are currently losing out on the money they should be getting. People should go without as they are in my eyes stealing.