What's new

Your top transportation rides

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ok so nobody ever talks about this but I always joke about how peoplemover is one of the best Disney rides and there are some great cable cars around. I know not everyone does these kind of rides but for those who do which are your favourite to chill out on in-between creds?

Here are my first thoughts on this.

1. Busch gardens Tampa cable car
2. Cedar point cable car
3. Six flags Great adventure cable car
4. Peoplemover (wdw)
5. Busch gardens Williamsburg cable car

Honourable mention to the old Alton monorail when you could actually see out the windows.

I'm thinking the Kolmarden cable car thing is good but I've not done it myself. Or maybe he Rhine River cruise? Again, not done it.

Last edited:

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
peoplemover is one of the best Disney rides
Off topic this, but there's a wacky inter-terminal subway system at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston which I looked up after riding it a few years ago. Turns out it's the same technology as the Peoplemover at WDW and is the only such system built by Walt Disney Imagineering that isn't on a Disney property.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Hogwarts Express at Universal Orlando by far!
I actually really don't like that ride, no views and just screens and just like they're trying to distract you while you go between the parks. Would much rather just walk through a gate with less faff but maybe that's just me.

Interesting choice.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
1. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay train ride. For me, this is one of the most nostalgic theme park attractions ever. I first rode it when I was a baby! Aside from that, I love how the train ride interacts with many of the major coasters at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, passing over and under Kumba, SheiKra, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and most recently Cobra's Curse.

2. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay sky ride. This is nearly as nostalgic as the train for me, and provides great views of Cheetah Hunt and the Serengeti Safari.

3. Busch Gardens Williamsburg train ride. Although this one doesn't have as many ride interactions as its Floridian cousin, I still enjoyed the breathtaking, natural views and 80-foot bridge that spans their Rhine River.

4. Cedar Point sky ride. There's something quite magical about being surrounded by record-breaking and first-of-its-kind coasters at the Point, and the sky ride offers splendid views of everything in the front half of the park. Although it's a tad lacking on the length side compared to the other ones I've ridden, this ride is a great way to get across the main midway in style.

Even though I would've loved to ride the Busch Gardens Williamsburg sky ride, unfortunately it was closed for the entirety of my visit and I only caught it testing in the morning and late afternoon.

Matt N

CF Legend
I actually really don't like that ride, no views and just screens and just like they're trying to distract you while you go between the parks. Would much rather just walk through a gate with less faff but maybe that's just me.

Interesting choice.
I think the point of the Hogwarts Express is to link the two Harry Potter areas as opposed to the two full parks so that riders can get the experience of "travelling to Hogwarts" like they do in the films.

As a transportation ride giving views of the park, I admit that it isn't great as you can't see out of the windows, but as a themed experience, I find it simply wonderful! For that reason, I am going to agree with @Matthew Fair here and say that Hogwarts Express is probably my favourite transportation ride! Honourable mentions go to the Walt Disney World Monorail and the Alton Towers Skyride.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I think the point of the Hogwarts Express is to link the two Harry Potter areas as opposed to the two full parks so that riders can get the experience of "travelling to Hogwarts" like they do in the films.

As a transportation ride giving views of the park, I admit that it isn't great as you can't see out of the windows, but as a themed experience, I find it simply wonderful! For that reason, I am going to agree with @Matthew Fair here and say that Hogwarts Express is probably my favourite transportation ride! Honourable mentions go to the Walt Disney World Monorail and the Alton Towers Skyride.
Well, yeah obviously but I just personally find it a one and done thing that I didn't even enjoy that much in the first place and it's the same every time (as far as I know??). I think it's in it's own kind of category of transport like a themed experience transport kind of thing. I am a potter fan but I don't really like forbidden journey and i'd rather do a proper coaster than gringotts so that gives you an idea where I stand with that kind of stuff lol. I guess it's a neat way of connecting the areas but just doesn't really excite me personally. (Still annoyed they spited Jaws for diagon not going to lie!)

The nice thing about rides with views of the parks is that you always see different things happening and doing it at different times of day can be fun.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, yeah obviously but I just personally find it a one and done thing that I didn't even enjoy that much in the first place and it's the same every time (as far as I know??). I think it's in it's own kind of category of transport like a themed experience transport kind of thing. I am a potter fan but I don't really like forbidden journey and i'd rather do a proper coaster than gringotts so that gives you an idea where I stand with that kind of stuff lol. I guess it's a neat way of connecting the areas but just doesn't really excite me personally. (Still annoyed they spited Jaws for diagon not going to lie!)

The nice thing about rides with views of the parks is that you always see different things happening and doing it at different times of day can be fun.
I suppose Potter doesn't suit everyone!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Honestly my examples for this are garbage compared to the above but figured I'd give an opinion anyway as I do like some of the UK's options.

The Alton monorail for example, offers a great experience for first time visitors, taking you over Air and Nemesis' valley (particularly if they're running as you're on it), the music in the carts adds to it, it's just a good start to the day (if you haven't had to queue and don't see the miles of queues at the gates).

Pleasure Beach Express was always fun for the side-by-sides of the rides too.

Other than that, I can recall the train at Port Aventura being a bit of a non-event due to it being quite tucked away for large chunks.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I loved the Kolmarden cable car but it is vaguely terrifying whenever the wind picks up.

I remember when I was kid at AT my dad would always tell me about them evacuating them over the valley and having people abseil down, never knew if it was true but it definitely stopped me from rocking it!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I loved the Kolmarden cable car but it is vaguely terrifying whenever the wind picks up.

I remember when I was kid at AT my dad would always tell me about them evacuating them over the valley and having people abseil down, never knew if it was true but it definitely stopped me from rocking it!
Definitely true. It was all over the news at the time. It would've been back in the '80s or early '90s I guess. My aunt's ex-husband's (husband at the time) brother was on the rescue team.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Sky Way downward at Everland. View of one Intamin masterpiece is always great.Better thqn the view of s*** Arrow looper(cable car next to this chair lift)
93cafbf60ecf650c81633a4bdec0e9eb.jpg

나의 SM-A520K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄