What's new

Your Pre-enthusiast Days

CMonster

Giga Poster
I was always interested in coasters, but I probably became an enthusiast when my parents bought me a big book about coasters and I read it like 100 times.

Then, a year or so later, I found this site, and voila!

Nic

Strata Poster
I went from just liking coasters to actually taking an interest in the designs and suchlike whilst planning my trip to the US in August '07. However, I still wasn't a true enthusiast at that point, and had no idea of what a "credit" was. Therefore, the only park we went to was SFMM, and even then, didn't get all the "credz". When in Vegas, we only rode Speed. However, we had an amazing time and enjoyed everything we did ride. The difference is, that it was just a holiday, where we happened to ride some coasters while there. If I went again now, the entire trip would be planned around park visits and coasters.

That change happened after I joined CF in Nov '07. I'd been spending a fair bit of time learning about different types of coasters and maufacturers etc. For me, it made trips to parks more interesting, as it meant I could make more informed comparisons between different coasters etc. I decided that if I wanted to learn more, it'd be a good idea to join a forum. I googled, and after discounting several others for being non-UK based, park specific, pay to join, or just generally crap... I found CF :)

I quickly discovered what a "credit" was and worked out that, at that point, I already had 36 (plus probably a few more from when I was tiny... but if I can't vividly remember it, then it doesn't get counted). I very quickly went to places where I'd never riden rides before (Southend, Brighton Pier), and a few that I'd been to as a kid, but had new "credz" to get (Lego, Chessie, Drayton). I also went back to Alton and made sure to get the Beastie "cred". I was now up to 49, but wanted to up the ante...

So went on my first live! The Yorkshire Tripper in May '08. Since then I haven't looked back. I've been on loads of trips with CF (both Lives and private trips) to a lot of parks that I never would've been to otherwise. It's also taken me to places that I never would've seen otherwise (although, that'as not always a good thing - 2 trips to Belgium in one year?!). It's a fab hobby and I'm glad I got sucked in. Not to mention, of course, all the fantastic people i've met and amazing friends that I've made.

So I'm currently on 162 "creds". It's unfortunate that I've had to take a break from parks this summer, and I really miss it. I can't wait to get back on a coaster, and GF can't come soon enough. As for new "creds", it's mainly lack of money that's stopping me making any plans at the moment... but that'll just make it all the more exciting when the opportunity does come about!

Woah, that was long. Sorry.

IHeartArrow

Mega Poster
I've always loved coasters and I knew that there were other parks out there, but as far as I was concerned, it was only necessary to go to my homeparks and if it was near where we were vacationing.

What made me recognize that I loved coasters was when I rode Big Bad Wolf back in 1999. I was scared to death, but I realized that it was so much fun and such a rush. Since then I rode whatever I could that I was tall enough to (Anaconda, Loch Ness Monster, and Python (BGT) when I was 5).

The only things I refused to ride until I became an enthusiast were Flight of Fear and Shockwave. My friend rode Shockwave while I was a tad too short and came off bawling so I refused to ride it. Then my cousin brainwashed me as a toddler and told me that when you rode FoF, aliens killed you (I believed that for a couple years, I have no clue why I wouldn't ride it after that.)

What made me start searching for more information and joining forums was when I rode Dominator on its opening day. I don't know what caused it but after that I actually had a desire to travel to parks and discuss them with other people.

So I would assume that the official date is May 24th, 2008.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My story is kidna interesting I think.

My family went to Chessington every year since 1994, after my first visit.

In... 1999, we went to Australia and I rode my first looping coaster. A glorious SLC. Sister forced me on it because she's evil. I, thankfully, do not remember it.

My family went to Benidorm (ew) in 2001 and before visiting my mum googled Terra Mitica. And SHE found CoasterForce!

After I caught interest I then went about nagging parents to take me to Alton, and we made our first visit that Halloween.

We then went to Alton for Halloween for a couple of years running and then mum and dad split up.

In 2003, pissed that I'd get no Alton that year, I tried out Thorpe for Halloween using public transport since mother is useless without a man and refused to go to Alton just us and dad didn't want to go either, because he "hates queuing all day".

I came to my first live, the original GhosterForce, in 2004.

And ever since, you've been stuck with me as a live regular.

A

Anonymous

Well, before and after, I have to admit I haven't been on that many rides/parks - Just the same ones at Thorpe Park over and over again, plus Chessington and a couple of small parks on holiday when I was a kid.

I suppose I only went on rides once a year or so until 2008, and these were kiddie rides on holidays, when I outgrew these i didn't go on any rides at all for a couple of years. Then my school had a trip to Thorpe Park in 2008 and I tried Nemesis Inferno, and loved it! That day I went on quite a lot of the rides at Thorpe Park, and begged my parents to take me there a few weeks later. I went again with my younger sister and this time discovered Stealth. Since my first day at Thorpe Park, I've been to Thorpe 18 times and Chessington about 3 or 4, and I've been on Stealth 171 times. I haven't travelled far to get to theme parks, mainly becuase i'm only 14 and my parents don't like going abroad or travelling too far - But I might be going to Alton Towers this season or next season, fingers crossed.

Before, I didn't really care about rides. Now, I go on them loads of times, I just haven't been on that many different ones (yet).