What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

zen

Roller Poster
I like Goliath at SFMM. I wont wait longer than 20 minutes for it but honestly I like the speed and yes the elements suck and the floater hill is so mild but considering how low the lines can get at some points even being a walk on me I find it quite enjoyable.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
considering how low the lines can get at some points even being a walk on me
Interesting. I don’t often make it to MM in the off season these days, but in my experience Goliath usually has one of the longest lines in the park.

zen

Roller Poster
Interesting. I don’t often make it to MM in the off season these days, but in my experience Goliath usually has one of the longest lines in the park.
Yeah alot of people go to it because its the tallest at least the tallest full circuit coaster but ive have many walkons and it makes it worth it

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump, but I’ve got a new one that I feel could be very controversial…

After last night’s rumour discussion about Towers getting a cross-valley B&M, I had another look at the 2003 cross-valley plans. And controversially, I don’t think Alton Towers’ 2003 cross valley plans looked like all they were cracked up to be. In fact, I dare say that I’m glad we got Wicker Man instead of a cross valley woodie.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the 2003 cross-valley woodie would have been a great ride had it been built, but I’ll admit I’m not salivating over the plans like most seem to, and based on the plans we’ve seen, I actually think Wicker Man was a far more interesting ride than the cross valley coaster would have been.

Now, saying such a thing probably makes most of you want to see me banned, so let me explain myself. For me, I think it all boils down to the simple fact that the cross valley coaster had very little to it besides two drops; the valley simply isn’t big enough to do too much interesting with. Yes, they were very large drops, but there were still only two drops during the entire ride, while Wicker Man is a lot more varied and has a lot more substance to it while still packing awesome thrills (in my opinion).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
VelociCoaster's On-Train Light Package is Bad, Ruining Night Rides

It is such a tormented, opinion, as we get such amazing views like this:

Yet at the cost of having a quite intense blue-aura light in your immediate vision the entire ride, giving some obscurity/inability to really feel like you're riding in the dark. A la:

A big reason for this: while red light is lower on the spectrum, allowing your pupils to naturally dilate/activate night vision (this is why we use red light to read star charts at night, so you can still easily see stars for instance), blue light causes your pupils to constrict, essentially ruining night vision.

Honestly, the real culprit is simply the placement of the lights. While other trains have lights on the side/bottom of trains, outside of the rider's view - VC has lights build into the headrest, hence the "headlight" effect while riding.

This a minor gripe (let's be honest, how good is a night ride when you are so exposed to nearby/surrounding lights, versus Hagrid's where you are able to truly separate from the park), but I was a bit boggled by folks raving at "How amazing" the VC night ride was, compared to Voyage, X2, Beast, etc. night-rides that truly remove the riders from light pollution.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They should alternate - 30mins lights on, 30mins lights off, or something. However annoying it might be on ride, we shouldn't sacrifice those photo opportunities. <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
They should alternate - 30mins lights on, 30mins lights off, or something. However annoying it might be on ride, we shouldn't sacrifice those photo opportunities. <3
It is undoubtedly the most gorgeous train lights package out there, which is why it's so hard to gripe about it. 😅
A99D5C1C-9212-40A8-8B2A-97FB9605B5B6.jpeg

davidm

Strata Poster
Honestly, the real culprit is simply the placement of the lights. While other trains have lights on the side/bottom of trains, outside of the rider's view - VC has lights build into the headrest, hence the "headlight" effect while riding.
Hmmm that seems like a real design-oversight - but also something that could be fixed.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I've seen absolutely no one share my opinion that Cannonball Express at Pleasurewood Hills is one of the best, most fun, and downright enjoyable coasters in the UK. That's a compliment.

I thought the first time I rode it was just a fluke, but when I got a second ride an hour later it was still running as fun as it was the first time. It's one of the only coasters where I came off with an uncontrollable smile. It relentlessly throws you about from the second it gains speed right until after the final brakes, and on ride one I forgot the layout momentarily so I prepared for a left turn and instead it was a straight drop. It was chaos and I don't think I'll experience something like that again for a while.

From start to finish Cannonball Express is genuinely some of the most fun I've ever had on any coaster so far. It's in my top 10, and I'm debating whether or not I should move it up even further. It is good. Yeah people enjoy it, but nobody to the degree of me.

If this is "just a jet star, what's so special about it" then I cannot wait to see what other 'average' coasters ride like.

Will

Strata Poster
One of the best themed parks in Europe has no coasters.

(Sent from the top of the temple at Pairi Daiza)

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Not sure if controversial, but Munich Looping/Olympia Looping is meh. Shockwave at Over Texas is superior in every way. I find people hype up Munich WAY too much, like sure its the best travelling coaster. But one ride was enough, and even for the UK its not elite. I rode it at night, it pulled some okay G's. Nothing too worth shouting about, nothing near the positives that Shockwave gives, and no negative G's like Shockwave.

I think an actual hot take of mine is that i think Intamin are just kinda eh. They seem to always come armed with a bolt load of problems.

Will

Strata Poster
Funk 'n' Fly is possibly the best flat ride that's operated at Alton since 2004. I have no idea why, but I really like it.

A straight piece of track with a few bunny hills is a BORING, unimaginative way back to the station. Few rides can pull it off, but Behemoth is one.

pvnks

Mega Poster
Not a slight against the effort, creativity or work ethic of those performing but I find parks' roaming entertainers are unbearable cringe. Not in a good way, either.

You can see the anxiety levels of those crossing the Thorpe Park bridge upon exit just trying to get it over and done with as the latest gimmick is to have entertainment staff cheer and dance in people's faces as they leave...

By extension; the stage shows are drossy and largely unattended / promptly walked past at both Thorpe and Alton Towers. Even the children these endeavours are aimed at are raising their eyebrows.

These personnel would add greater value in other roles, surely?

I fully realise this makes me sound a killjoy.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Not a slight against the effort, creativity or work ethic of those performing but I find almost parks' roaming entertainers are unbearable cringe. Not in a good way, either.

You can see the anxiety levels of those crossing the Thorpe Park bridge upon exit just trying to get it over and done with as the latest gimmick is to have entertainment staff cheer and dance in people's faces as they leave...

By extension; the stage shows are drossy and largely unattended / promptly walked past at both Thorpe and Alton Towers. Even the children these endeavours are aimed at are raising their eyebrows.

These personnel would add greater value in other roles, surely?

I fully realise this makes me sound a killjoy.
Alton Towers killed off their "Grand Parade" many years ago for good reason...No bugger watched it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Mildly building upon the comment that @pvnks made about roaming entertainers, I’ll admit that I’m not personally that interested in shows/entertainment while at a theme park. I totally get why they’re there (not everyone likes constant rides, and they do offer variety in terms of non-ride activities), and I will applaud parks for investing in entertainment as I know that a lot of people are interested in it, but it’s never personally been a part of theme parks that I’ve been hugely interested in. A lot of enthusiasts seem to view entertainment as hugely important to a theme park day, but I’m more about the rides and theming myself, on the whole.

One possible exception I would make to that is nighttime spectaculars, if they’re there; the Disney one was rather good, as was the Universal one. But for the most part, I’m not personally that invested in entertainment at parks; during the day, I’d personally rather spend the time riding.