What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

pvnks

Mega Poster
I'm (hopefully) going to Orlando in January and having trawled vlogs to amp up the hype; alot of Disney World looks tired, flat and outdated.

Some of the restaurants look like they had the budget of a 90s youth club to theme it up.

I don't see too much of that chatter out there as I suspect most are wrapped up in that Disney 'high'.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't see too much of that chatter out there as I suspect most are wrapped up in that Disney 'high'.
In my experience, the discussion on the Disney parks falls into two categories:

1. The aforementioned "Disney high" seen on places like ThemeParkTourist or some YouTube channels like Offhand Disney. Everything is Disney, all the time, and every nitty-gritty aspect has to be examined in the tiniest detail.

2. A sort of "Oh my bob just shut up about Disney already" sentiment where the Disney parks are seen almost as a semi-obscure sub-genre for the particularly devoted and mildly uninteresting for everybody else.

pvnks

Mega Poster
In my experience, the discussion on the Disney parks falls into two categories:

1. The aforementioned "Disney high" seen on places like ThemeParkTourist or some YouTube channels like Offhand Disney. Everything is Disney, all the time, and every nitty-gritty aspect has to be examined in the tiniest detail.

2. A sort of "Oh my bob just shut up about Disney already" sentiment where the Disney parks are seen almost as a semi-obscure sub-genre for the particularly devoted and mildly uninteresting for everybody else.
And that's a shame, polarised tribalism kills rational debate.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
I have a couple following my recent trip to Legoland & Paultons, as well as some more general ones based on some conversation with others:
  • Lego Ninjago: The Ride at Legoland Windsor is one of my favourite UK dark rides, up there with Hex & Flight of the Sky Lion. I don’t think it necessarily tops either of those two, but it’s definitely up there with them for me.
  • While I love a good physical theming dark ride as much as the next person, screens and/or 3D are not the evil they’re often portrayed as and can really add something to a dark ride if done well, in my opinion.
  • Legoland Windsor has arguably the country’s strongest selection of non-coaster rides, in my opinion, and is the closest thing to an Orlando-style theme park we have here in Britain.
  • I prefer Legoland Windsor to Chessington, out of the 2 family-orientated Merlin parks.
  • I didn’t enjoy Cyclonator at Paultons very much; it wasn’t floaty like I was expecting and was a bit too intense & spinny for my liking.
  • Paultons Park is my 4th favourite UK park, behind only Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach & Thorpe Park.
  • Roughness can inhibit my enjoyment of a coaster regardless of restraint type.
  • The likes of Grand National, back row Megafobia, Saw and the Big One are too rough to enjoy.

Bjprice

Roller Poster
The Ninja in STL is a good ride (in the front car, god save your bones behind it)

six flags should provide chiropractor support if you back row.

Last edited:

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Fairly sure this isn’t too common: Furius Baco is a brilliant ride and one of the best night rides out there. All I’ve heard is bad about this ride, it’s rough blah blah blah. It’s brilliant!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ya know, it's been a while since I sat down and went through some of my opinions. Have some fun ones to share!

I think Skyrush's restraints are a large part of why that ride works as well as it does. It's a thigh crush for sure, but the freedom allotted by the restraints makes the ride even more insane that it would be otherwise, especially when it goes into that wicked overbank. I think Intamin and Mack have both found a great middle ground between freedom and comfort with their lap bars that come from above your head used on Helix and Taron (respectively). Still, the size of the lap bar makes those rides feel much safer than the downright dangerous feeling I get from riding Skyrush.

Kingda Ka's launch is better than Dragster's, by a fair margin. I think the way it seems to accelerate you in waves as opposed to one continuous acceleration adds to that ride's rougher, edgier experience. I think I still put Dragster above it for the airtime on the top hat, the view, and the superior restraints. However, I think the margin is very slim, and there are certain days where the increased intensity of Ka seems preferable to the smoothness of Dragster.

My favorite part of El Toro is not the first drop, the two succeeding hills, or the infamous rolling thunder hill. Rather it is the twister section immediately afterward. It is the most brutal part of the ride, with that ride's distinctive wooden crunch hitting a whole other level. Without that good dump of positive Gs at the end, the previous intense negative Gs wouldn't have the same impact. I believe it is because of the twister section that the rolling thunder hill ever got the acclaim it has gotten. The switch between those two extremes is one of the greatest moments on any coaster.

I prefer the best SLC (the impeccable Great Nor'Easter) to all the Batman clones by a LOT. Nor'Easter sits at 57 whereas Batman (Over Georgia) sits at 118. In fact, Nor'Easter beats a lot of notable coasters and is right below Black Mamba in my list of favorite inverts. One aspect of why it ranks so highly for me is that it has the second best lift hill out there, only behind Millennium Force. The view climbing up on the front row, looking out to the endless ocean and beaches in front of you while also looking at all the water slides snaking through each other right below you. I think it was certified as such when I kept waving to a water slide op as I rerode it over and over.

Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride at Knoebels.

Matt N

CF Legend
Here’s my latest hot take; I prefer Rita to Stealth, and it’s not even particularly close for me.

This opinion might admittedly shock some of you, but let me explain myself.

I’ll admit that Stealth’s launch is perhaps a little bit stronger than Rita’s, in my opinion, and that top hat is an excellent moment of airtime. However, I think Rita has a stronger layout after the launch than Stealth; you get two or three surprisingly excellent bursts of airtime, and even though the drawn-out turns admittedly aren’t the most interesting, the ride maintains a real sense of speed throughout, and the twisty hills do provide some fun turning forces!

Perhaps the more controversial element of me preferring Rita to Stealth is that based on my recent experiences, I actually think Rita is noticeably smoother, in spite of its reputation for roughness! I used to find Rita horribly, horribly rough, but it hasn’t been rough at all the last few times I’ve done it. On my recent trip just over a week ago, I had two back-to-back rides, and my front row ride was perfectly smooth, if not absolutely glossy smooth! Heck, even the 2nd ride in row 8 had only a very, very slight rattle!

Stealth, on the other hand, seems to have been really quite jolty lately; the last couple of times I’ve done it, including the times at the start of this month, it’s been bouncing its way up the top hat and jostling my head about a fair bit as it goes up, and even on the drop down, it’s been rattling a fair degree. I’ve come off some of my recent rides with a slight headache, although not an absolutely pounding one like Colossus gave me in the same day by any means!

I feel like I’m literally going insane, as most seem to find Stealth the perfectly smooth one of the two and Rita the jolty one of the two, whereas I’m finding it to be the other way round… does anyone else find Stealth jolty and/or Rita not too bad?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In pulling together my Top 20 for the other thread, I was reflecting back on my trip to Energylandia a few weeks back.

My "unpopular" opinion is that I don't think Energylandia is even close to a world class theme park (yet). It's a mess of a layout, has a huge majority of complete crap "+1" coasters, has generally pretty substandard theming, and it doesn't really have anything else decent to do other than the two/three good coasters.

In its defence, it does have two genuinely world class coasters (although that's almost a matter of odds at this point), is clean and tidy and the food is okay. Not enough to make it a Top 10 (or Top 20!) park, though.

Top 20 coasters will be posted soon... as if anyone cares. :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
In its defence, it does have two genuinely world class coasters (although that's almost a matter of odds at this point), is clean and tidy and the food is okay. Not enough to make it a Top 10 (or Top 20!) park, though.
I'm yet to find a decent food option at the park, but I didn't look for anything in the Dragon Zone, which may be better.

Agree with the rest though, the vast number of 1 and done's really drags the overall feel down a bit. But... Put Zadra, Hyperion, Abyssus, Formula and the Dragon coaster in any other park and you have a good quality selection, it's just that the park is so big and full of crap you almost forget they have a quality line-up, just not presented well.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm yet to find a decent food option at the park, but I didn't look for anything in the Dragon Zone, which may be better.
I didn't say the food was great, but it's a step above most of the offerings in the UK. :D

But... Put Zadra, Hyperion, Abyssus, Formula and the Dragon coaster in any other park and you have a good quality selection, it's just that the park is so big and full of crap you almost forget they have a quality line-up, just not presented well.
Like I say, it's probably just statistical at this point. When you've got 20 coasters, surely at least a couple of them are going to turn out okay. Perhaps the two you bother to actually spend decent money on. Formula is solid, but didn't rate Abyssus much to be honest - same tier as Dragon Coaster. Not bad, and would be a good star attraction at somewhere smaller, but it's swamped by the crap at Energylandia, I think.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I didn't say the food was great, but it's a step above most of the offerings in the UK. :D
I disagree, generally there is something decent in a park over here. Generally 😂 Or at least there's somewhere within a short drive if not.
The best thing I have found so far at EL was a chicken burger place which was also a bit ****. And it's in the middle of nowhere so not even a local pub as a backup. I hope they've focused a bit on the catering side in their recent zones, it's a massive let down currently.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My "unpopular" opinion is that I don't think Energylandia is even close to a world class theme park (yet). It's a mess of a layout, has a huge majority of complete crap "+1" coasters, has generally pretty substandard theming, and it doesn't really have anything else decent to do other than the two/three good coasters.
I feel like that’s not unpopular at all at this point… More a general consensus…

I’ve not many many who think as highly of the place as I do 🙈😂

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Indeed, hardly a "hot take" as our American friends might say. It just came over me in a wave just how... meh that park actually is.

I’ve not many many who think as highly of the place as I do 🙈😂
I've always assumed you thought very highly of the two big beasts, not the rest of the place... ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Indeed, hardly a "hot take" as our American friends might say. It just came over me in a wave just how... meh that park actually is.

I've always assumed you thought very highly of the two big beasts, not the rest of the place... ;)
Definitely love them… But I also enjoy Speed, Formula, Dragon and on the last visit, without the inflated expectations, I really enjoyed Abussus too. Katie and Liam said it was an incredible dark ride (pitch black, no lighting) but I missed out on that. :( Mayan is definitely the most enjoyable SLC I’ve done, with it’s new style trains on a track that isn’t rotting, the forceful layout, though done to death, is quite enjoyable when it’s a touch smoother.

I also enjoy the vekoma family and boomerang coasters, though usually only once per visit. So that make a good 11 ridable coasters on each visit. And some of the water and flat rides we do every visit too.

With the park much busier this weekend for their halloween event, it was actually the first time I’ve visited and not managed to get round to everything I enjoy. 🙈 The mazes were decent, the scare zone had a great atmosphere.

I’ll just have to go back asap!!!

I know what you mean about layout though, the constant construction is so frustrating!!! Hate the split park!!! With the amount they’re investing, I think they could have rerouted / tunnelled the road, instead of tunnelling a path!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
"Zen rides" are pretty much never a good thing. You need the extra weight in the train to ensure that it carries as much momentum as possible.
Exhibit A: Orion running "Covid" trains in 2020 half-full. The added weight this season was night and day.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Counter-take, Goudurix. Had a near-Zen ride on that with my partner and it's smoother empty.
Or if the coaster is not all about top-level intensity. I had two consecutive early morning zen rides on Verbolten this summer and it was quite immersive going through all that wackiness alone.