What's new

Your first Drop Tower experience

Jer

Strata Poster
I hate drop towers, ask any one of my friends they will tell you, so my first legitimate drop tower was this year at Six Flags America, it was a small, and I mean small, Intamin Gen 2 drop tower. Needless to say I hated it from the beginning, I hate the suspense, I hate the feeling of free fall. I will happily be anyone's bag lady for a drop tower.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Certainly Space Vertigo in Gardaland, which is still the only classic drop tower on my list (just drop, none shots or anything). Well, I first rode it when I was 9, and it put my mum away from drop towers for life :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Pretty much the same for me, except the not knowing part is far worse than the intense feeling. I don't mind the intensity if I know when it's coming.

The adrenaline rush when you drop is incredible, yet horrible at the same time?! I always feel like my body is on the verge of exploding!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Demon Drop at Cedar Point <3. Hands down my favorite drop tower of all time - it was the first thing I RAN to when I visited Dorney this summer.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can't remember my first Drop Tower experience but I'm sure it was over too quickly and I made it a cup of tea before its taxi arrived.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida. I know you're about to say "That isn't really a drop tower", but it is, so maybe my first one wasn't that big, but who freaking cares.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I believe it was Vuelo del Ave Fénix at Terra Mítica when I was around 15. I had read a lot of stuff about how intense Intamin towers were but nothing could prepare me for that. I literally came off white, but I repeated quite few times.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I was horrified of Drop Towers, they were the only rides in the world that I'd stay far away from. But I promised myself, the first time I went to PortAventura I would ride everything...

It must've taken me an entire week of whoring Khan and Baco to pluck up the courage to step into the queue line, Hurakan Condor was the scariest thing ever to me. I quiver looking at Apocalypse, but this thing is horrible, standing 330 feet high it was the tallest ride/coaster I've had to experience. What actually freaked me out the most about it, was the creepy slanted roof at the top of the tower, seeing it from miles away just gave me chills.

Standing in the queue made me feel ill, and the whole build up was uneasing. I found the ascent a rather exhilarating feeling, I think I was worried so much about he ride that the adrenaline sent me into such an unusual state. Then the drop, was alright I suppose no where near as terrifying as I made it out to be.

I'm still hit and miss with towers, I remember riding stand up apocalypse and it really hit my stomach, but I still give them a try. Hurakans still my favourite tower, it has a special place in my heart.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
I'm thinking of Ice Blast at Blackpool, although it was probably called Playstation back then! Nothing fancy or exotic I'm afraid.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Detonator again, I have only done a small handful because in general I don't like drop towers, I think I have only done, Detty, Apocalypse and the one at Pleasurewood Hills.
Apocalypse in the standing position (as I think somebody else mentioned) weren't too bad.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
My first was Apocalypse. I was about 6 and I didn't really expect how intense it would be. I remember looking at the on-ride photos and seeing my Dad looking secure in the harness, thinking how loose it looked!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My first tower ride was Ice Blast, which probably wasn't called that then, in 2001. I was **** myself going on it, not too impressed when i got off.

My first actual drop tower is Gyro Drop at Lotte World. Again, absolutely crapping myself, but loved it.

marc

CF Legend
1st shot tower was doctor doom ioa

1st drop tower was tower of terror Orlando.

1st normal drop tower was the one at holiday park Germany. Slade got the photo, I was so scared.

1st bouncer type one was at adventure island.

2010shaneallen92

Roller Poster
Mine was Drop Tower at King's Island, well at the time it was Drop Zone: Stunt Tower. I had never been on any type of thrill ride in my life, I was 6 years old, and my church decided to put me on this thing first. Honestly, I wasn't too afraid because you couldn't see the tower while waiting in line. However, by the end of the ride, I was amazed at what a rush it was!! After that experience I've been a thrill junkie ever since.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
My first drop tower experience was Apocalypse at Drayton Manor, about two days after my first CFLive, with Tom, and I was bricking it! I was still at the stage of not wanting to open my eyes on Nemesis, and I was going on this tower-thing. I've never been brilliant with heights, and especially when i'm quite exposed, so going on the stand-up floorless side of Apocalypse was pretty scary, even afterwards!

Still to this day, drop towers are the thing I find scariest. Its the whole exposed feeling that adds to that thrill for me, and that's great, because very little does scare me anymore!

Looking at Kebab's experience of Hurakan Condor, I can completely understand that feeling though, apart from the fact I never rode it! Sadly (no, really), it broke down the evening we were there, so I never got the chance, but jesus it looks scary!

Lucy

Hyper Poster
My first drop tower was the Pepsi Max Drop which was at the Trocadero in London. I was nervous beforehand but loved it. I've always liked drop towers and will continue to enjoy them :D

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
My first drop tower experience was Apocalypse at Drayton Manor. I had done Oblivion many times before and was quite smug that Apocalypse would be tame compared - wrong! I hated the whole affair from the ascent to the drop itself. I came away from the ride shaking and feeling very uneasy.

I forced myself on the same ride several months later, and learned to love it. Apocalypse is now one of my favourite rides in the country.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
My first was 'Big Ben' - the shot n drop tower at Funderworld travelling fair. I remember being far more taken a back by the force of the shot, rather than the drop. In general drop towers freak me out too much. On my last trip to Thorpe, Detonator dropped mid-way through its' special Fright Night voice-over! I was totally unprepared.
My fave is Magma, the controlled spinning drop tower at Paultons. It's the only one that doesn't terrify me beyond enjoyment!