What's new

Your Credit Approach at a New Park

Intricks

Strata Poster
Honestly, I'm a mix of A and C. If it is a park that I know I won't be getting back to in a reasonable time, I am immediately running through A as I want to make sure I get all the creds in on the off chance something may close st the end of the season and I would have the spite instead (as I lnow I would not be bacl for a coupme years). I've done this for a LOT of my park trips, as I would rarely get the chance to get back with the rare occurance.

If I can get back to the park easily, I turn it into a more of a C styled adventure. When I first went to Hersheypark (as this is the easiest example I can think of atm), I did not really bother trying to hit all the creds on that first trip as I knew I would be able to get back again relatively easily (cause, you know, a 5 hour drive one way for a park is easily doable) to nab whatever I did not hit. Ironically, the park was not too slammed and I was able to get rerides in and still nab all the creds (went the year prior to Skyrush opening and fell in love with the park as a whole).

So mix of A and C based on circumstances involved with the trip itself.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I'm a definite B.

We tend to do any cress that we're worried about missing (due to reliability or weather) first, then we try to go from the worst ride to the best and don't make too much of a distinction between coasters and flats and dark rides, we'll go on anything we like the look of or have heard good things about.

We used to always go straight for the best things in the park but it often made going on the smaller rides a bit worse because you're always comparing it to the best thing there. I always think of Dragon Khan and Shambhala. Dragon Khan is a great ride taken on its own merits but it's overshadowed (literally) by the hyper and it's just hard to enjoy it as much if you do it second. Do it first and you get even more hyped (too many puns) for Shambhala as it looms above you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

emoo

Hyper Poster
If I am on my own its mostly C, and then feeling sad later about any I missed. The buzz of doing A with a group of other A's is great fun. Either way will always want to head to whatever I consider the most critical, be it new or otherwise.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
C or B. There are kiddie creds I still need at parks I’ve been to loads of times. I count my creds, and log them, but have never really cared enough about a number to ride 20 wacky worms. Might try a different approach from next season, sick of having a low, albeit nearly all thrill, coaster count.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I find it interesting that this forum is filled with stories of people driving two hours for an SBF Spinner (the old +1), but in this thread A. is clearly a small minority answer, and suddenly most people don’t have time for coasters that are beneath them. :D Not a criticism, of course — I asked because I was genuinely curious. But when did coaster enthusiasts start turning up their noses so much at credits right in front of them? ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I find it interesting that this forum is filled with stories of people driving two hours for an SBF Spinner (the old +1), but in this thread A. is clearly a small minority answer, and suddenly most people don’t have time for coasters that are beneath them. :D Not a criticism, of course — I asked because I was genuinely curious. But when did coaster enthusiasts start turning up their noses so much at credits right in front of them? ;)
Not sure about anybody else, but I’ve never been one for the smaller creds, my local park which I visited twice weekly as a kid only had 4 creds... On almost all visits, I only ever rode the 2 thrill creds.

I guess it comes down to why you enjoy the hobby. Some people like to collect the statistics etc, have an ambition to ride as many different coasters as possible. Some people, like me, just enjoy the thrill of riding some of the best coasters in the world, and visiting different parks, with less interest in ‘collecting them all.’ Neither is right or wrong, just personal preference.

Actually, I’m genuinely thinking of mixing it up a little next year by trying to become a true cred whore ?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Not sure about anybody else, but I’ve never been one for the smaller creds, my local park which I visited twice weekly as a kid only had 4 creds... On almost all visits, I only ever rode the 2 thrill creds.

I guess it comes down to why you enjoy the hobby. Some people like to collect the statistics etc, have an ambition to ride as many different coasters as possible. Some people, like me, just enjoy the thrill of riding some of the best coasters in the world, and visiting different parks, with less interest in ‘collecting them all.’ Neither is right or wrong, just personal preference.

Actually, I’m genuinely thinking of mixing it up a little next year by trying to become a true cred whore ?
I’m a cred fiend only at a new park, really. When I’m revisiting an old park I don’t care about the lesser coasters, unless I’m visiting with an enthusiast new to this park.

That said, when I was a kid, I’d visit the local parks (Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Knott’s) about once a year, and when I did I HAD to go on all the rides, big or small. Maybe I still have a touch of that in me. Not an OCD thing; just a desire to soak it all up, I think.

Get the major creds first in case they spite later in the day (whether due to mother nature or maintenance), then I just like to go around the park and hit things as I pass them. I would never go on a day where it's going to be so rammed that I have to rush around and get creds because then I'm not enjoying myself, which is the whole point of gping to parks.

Jacolby

Roller Poster
I haven’t been to too many parks, so I can’t say for sure. When I went to Cedar Point for the first time recently, I probably tried, but failed, to follow A, at least for the coasters outside of camp snoopy. I didn’t get to ride Raptor, Wicked Twister or the Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

Heth

Mega Poster
Definitely B.

When I visit a new park I always try and do what makes that park special and unique. Generally this is a mix of the best coasters, dark rides and water rides.

An example would be my first trip to Gardaland in 2016 I had one day and I only went on 3 coasters:

Oblivion x2
Mammoth
Raptor x2

I did these because I knew Gardaland had two weird dark rides and some great water rides, and to me I didnt want to waste time waiting for an SLC, some kid creds, a standard Vekoma (done it at Efteling) or Sequoia Adventure (this one is unique but I hear it's painful).

If I returned another day I might do these rides, but for me I'd rather do the greats multiple times than cover stuff that I could ride elsewhere, isn't special or is notoriously bad.