What's new

Your biggest surprise?

Snoo

The Legend
In terms of coasters, parks, flats.. pretty much anything.

Recently, Patriot at Worlds of Fun was a big hit for me.. along with a few others on the CFLive. I had heard nothing but bad things about the ride, including being rough, lacked g's, and boring in terms of layout.

It comes off as one of my favorite inverts, one of the smoothest rides I've ever been on, and the best Zero G roll you could ask for.

So.. POST ON MY FRIENDS!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Mine had to be Prowler, it was only two weeks after opening, and I was expecting nothing close to the out of control feeling it had. It was just a true shocker for me.

Another one was Wicked Twister, when I rode it, all I had heard was how it was mediocre, but I absolutely loved it. Can't really think of any others at the moment.

Worlds of Fun as a park was definitely a surprise.. I expected it to be like Carowinds or something, but it was actually a decent park with some nice coasters. Patriot wasn't a huge surprise for me since it wasn't amazing (smooth, but not amazing), but I agree that the zero-G roll was incredible.

Afterburn was another one, because even though I knew it would be good, I didn't think it'd be as good as it was.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Kennywood was the biggest suprise, since everyone raves about it, and it was pretty horrible. Horrible setting, horrible people, horrible woodies and lame almost everything else.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Tonnerre de Zeus really amazed me, but that probably doesn't count as it was my only my 2nd ever coaster. I didn't think it was going to be that good at the time though, it was fantastic.

Since riding more coasters a more recent surprise was Revenge of the Mummy at USF. I didn't expect much from it at all and it was brilliant, lots of effects with an upward launch with crazy airtime at the top of the hill, great ride. Other coasters that were better than I expected are: Montu (BGT), Everest (WDW - DAK), Colossus (Thorpe) and Wild Mouse (PBB).

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Ghostrider in the back seat. I thought I was gonna die, but ever since, I've loved Ghostrider.

As for new, recent, rides, I was pleasently surprised by how much I loved Apollo's Chariot (wasn't expecting that much air) and Alpengeist (heard it was running awful this year).

Volcano and Great Bear were also a lot of fun, and although I knew Phoenix would be good, I didn't know it would be that good.

Lastly, I was a little worried about Boulder Dash because I began to think it may turn out like Voyage (good ride, but extremely rough and hard to enjoy) but it was actually pretty smooth and overall the best coaster ever. :--D

Tony

Hyper Poster
!

Jet Rescue at Sea World, Austalia. I had not read any reviews of this coaster prior to my visit so didn't know what to expect. Well it was awesome! High speed, decent launch with an awesome booster launch. The ride takes extremely tight banked turns at high speed and it's just an incredibly fun coaster, nearly as good as Superman Escape! The perfect family coaster and more parks should get them :p !

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Going back to last year, Apollo's Chariot was quite a surprise for PLCP and me. We heard pretty meh reviews about it, but we found the ride to be full of good airtime in which you were up against your lap bar and some great terrain interaction.

From this year, take what Snoo said about Patriot for me as well.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Kennywood was the biggest suprise, since everyone raves about it, and it was pretty horrible. Horrible setting, horrible people, horrible woodies and lame almost everything else.

Thank you!

What a white trash sh#t tip that place was. HATED it!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I visited Carowinds for the first time today and I'd have to say Carolina Cobra would have to rank as the biggest surprise of the day, and one of the bigger surprises I've had. It's only the second boomerang I've ridden, but considering the other one sucked and boomerangs in general don't have a great reputation for smoothness, it far exceeded my expectations. The new trains & restraints must have a lot to do with that. It was actually a very fun, smooth ride.

The other big surprise today was Thunder Road, which I really, really liked for some reason.

Biggest surprise I've had? Probably Tennessee Tornado. It's by far the smoothest Arrow coaster I've ridden, and one of my favorites.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
What a white trash sh#t tip that place was.
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I still love Kennywood.

I'm getting a vibe here... Neurons are connecting and a thought is forming... ;)

I'm often surprised by how bad rides are when compared to their "reputation", but it's rare they outstrip them. I might think of one eventually... Maybe Jubilee Odyssey... In the front, it was nothing but sheer awesome the rid eI had. Yet most people have a very negative opinion of it. That's one of the problems with just getting to ride a ride once... Well, not if you get it on a good day mind...

I should probably take more notice of other people's opinions, but I just don't :p

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Biggest surprise ever was riding Galaxy Express 999 before RCDB knew it had an inversion.

I got off the ride totally shocked that I'd just gone upside down without knowing it was coming.