What's new

Your 2023 in Review

You tripled your cred count from 51 to 158?

Bloody hell, raising a glass to you mate, that's a seriously good year.

The joys of becoming a coaster enthusiast with adult money, ample PTO built up from the COVID years and limited expenses. While I do not expect to triple or even double my count in 2024, I would be surprised if I do not get to 250... Though 300 or doubling isn't totally out of the realm of possibility especially if I can make a California trip work in late Q3 or Q4. A Florida trip is booked for January, northeast trip in June or July and then, if I can make it work, possibly a California trip late in Q3 or Q4. Biggest thing holding me back is that I'm not much of a plus 1 guy. If a park doesn't have a potential "7" or better I'm not visiting anymore.

Last edited:
2023 has been an absolutely meme year for me. Work wouldn’t allow me to drive far enough from home to visit new parks so I’ve literally accomplished everything except that. So for better or for worse, here’s what I’ve done instead;

New credits; 16 (half from carnivals)
New-for-2023 Coasters; 2 (Snoopy’s Racing Railway & Outlaw Zyklon)
Parks Visited; 4 (previous visits) + 2 new FEC’s
Fairs Visited; 10
New Credit Count; 110

Highlights; Despite living 30 min away I revisited my home park Marineland for the first time in a decade to finally ride Dragon Mountain! In July I cycled through the mountains for an alpine coaster during what would turn into an active tornado. And this past weekend I also achieved Dominican Republic credit completion whilst sightseeing in the capital.

Work; Once again I was at my local waterpark several days a week, for quote-on-quote unofficial “oversight” (glorified title if ever). It’s cool to be able to wander and converse with everyone from lifeguards to managers.
I also worked for a fair showmen while they were local in the Fall. I both operated and disassembled rides - I’ve posted a tutorial on Reddit if anyone would like to know how to pack up a Scrambler. While I attended our other unit’s show, one of my attractions collapsed mid-ride - everyone is alright but for privacy I won’t give context.

Mistake; I kept an eye on shipments of waterslide pieces being exported out of a shipping yard. When I eventually shared images anonymously of a certain Middle Eastern project, they were taken down and the factory from now on will not label their package destinations. I regret accidentally creating a conflict for the manufacturer.

Community Service; Hopefully as redemption I’ve made further research contributions to the community. My industry news service has nearly 150 Discord servers subscribed to our output right now and my highlight Wikipedia projects published this year are those of Mission Ferrari, SFX Coaster, and Tibidabo.

People; Met lots of really cool ones. E.g. whilst chilling with local enthusiasts I happened to run into Alex of CoastersWorld admin… at Darien Lake of all places! Also went to dinner with a Chinese real estate firm who may or may not have ideas… not rumor material unless you’re desperate but t’was noice.

What might 2024 bring on?

Last edited:
Coaster Count Increase - 55

Favourites

New-to-me coaster of 2023 - Toutatis
New-to-me non-coaster of 2023 - L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele at 53 King Street in Manchester - well themed and excellent food
New-to-me park of 2023 - Motiongate because of the DreamWorks section alone
Positive surprise of 2023 - It was free to ride Tonnerre 2 Zeus backwards and how good that row was
Enthusiast achievement of 2023 - Riding my 1,000 coaster before my life officially begins, just. Not entirely agreed with myself which one it was but doesn't matter as I'm going to recount in a way that makes it Nemesis next year.
Exciting announcement for 2024 - Thorpe getting good again

Highlights

Rushing round Blackpool in the pouring rain to get my friend all remaining credits so we could relax. Then re-riding Valhalla given we were already soaked through.

Mission Ferrari - I've been waiting so long for this to open and was able to time a weeks trip with a landmark birthday. It's possibly the most complete dark ride in the area even if the coaster is janky and closed on 2 of my 3 visits to the park.

Sitting in my hotel room late at night after a long day with a good glass of wine, decent spag bol, looking at the city lights. Shattered but happy & content of the days I finally got to have.

Discovering a long distance friend is in Italy visiting family and within a week we were both heading to Fiabilandia & Mirabilandia for the first time. A few new to us old school terrific rides had been waiting all this time. Katun is my star of Italy and the grandfather of all Big Apple Wacky Worm coasters was wholesome and the least amount of shame possible.

Superman / la Atracción de Acero had my eyes watering in the front row.

2 major new for 2023 coasters, I should do that more often.

Let down/mistake

Booking a reasonable hotel in Abu Dhabi with balcony looking towards Flying Aces - the the slow realisation it wasn't running given its scheduled maintenance & due to reopen the day after I go back to Dubai. The costly redo on the final trip day to get my rides in and not getting on the tiny free shuttle bus as it was full. Worse of all I got grumpy when staff at the rides entrance sometimes insisted my bag went in a locker even though you can put stuff to the side in the station. So dumb of me, just be happy everyone and don't get bogged down by things that don't matter. However also always check if parks have a maintenance schedule and avoid a school boy error.

The alcohol offerings at Dubai's high vantage points. Overpriced, small, basic and a faff. Grumpy privileged moments they were and turned out to be unnecessary. For a traditionally non drinking culture trying to appeal to polite drunks I wanted more.

iSpeed's restraints

Many Blackpool's coasters I remember being good now running appallingly and low expectations for Icon not being met.

Green Hornet: High Speed Chase & Now You See Me: High Roller

No coasters stood out to me at Parque de Atracciones de Madrid and the entrance fountains were off. Operations were so poor it was worth a fast pass just for a few hours.

I didn't get to Germany which would have completed my set of country's that skip to the finals in Eurovision.

Best non-park moment - Completing my Satisfactory Factory's to make 4 Nuclear Pasta p/min

I'm not going to go into the same detail as some others, but here's a few bits:

Coaster count at start of 2023: 1717
Coaster count at end of 2023: 1843
Coaster count increase: +126 (Up from only 18 in 2022 and now currently my 8th best year)
New Parks: 54 (but that includes stuff with just an alpine coaster, or a Chinese city park with a cred shoved in)

New Coaster Highlights:

Cannibal, Lagoon
Lightning Rod, Dollywood
Falcon, Sunac Wuxi
Beyond the Cloud. Suzhou Forest World
Jungle Dragon, Dragon Valley
Fighter Jet, Fanta Glorious Orient
Wrath of Zeus, VinWonders

I'd probably put Beyond the Cloud in the top spot, followed by Cannibal/Lightning Rod.

Best New Dark Ride: Jurassic World, Universal Beijing

Best New Parks: Universal Beijing, Suzhou Forest World, Glenwood Caverns, VinWonders Phu Quoc

Best Overall Trip: Uzbekistan, but not because of the parks/coasters

Biggest Surprise: Thunderhead being even better than it was 13 years previously, possibly being better than Lightning Rod. Broken Rail Coaster being soooooooooo much better/smoother than the previous Jinma tilt coaster I'd done.

Biggest Disappointments: Coaster at Playland Vancouver being ruined with very tight seatbelts. Both Denver parks being absolute s**t. Lagoon being a bit crap while charging Disney prices (great operations though, it has to be said). Being spited by the Cheetah Hunt clone at Happy Valley Nanjing

Oh yeah, 2023 happened.
  • Coaster count at start of 2023: 1407
  • Coaster count at end of 2023: 1589
  • Coaster count increase: 182 - covid years aside (which were still over 100), lowest and first sub-200 since 2016. I suspect I may never hit 200 again.
  • Park count at start of 2023: 384
  • Park count at end of 2023: 441
  • Park count increase: 57 - 2nd best ever (2018 holds the record at 72). New creds may drop but can probably keep the new parks up a while longer.
  • Number of coaster laps: 275 - only one coaster hit double figures and with good reason
  • Number of park days: 59 - also 2nd best ever to 2018 @ 64. Makes sense.
  • Favourite new-to-me coaster of 2023: God damn ArieForce One, the aforementioned double-digiter.
    Top Honourable Mentions:
    Toutatis, Wildcat's Revenge
    Other Honourable Mentions: Batman Gotham City Escape, Falcon, Wooden Dragons, Iron Rattler, Wrath of Zeus
  • Favourite new-to-me non-coaster of 2023: Hmm, something dark ride. Probably Forest Drifting @ FT Wild Land for inspiring the greatest sense of wonder.
  • Favourite new-to-me park of 2023: Yup, FT Wild Land again. Nothing is more up my street these days than the perfect Fantawild visit.
  • Biggest positive surprise of 2023: Maybe Vietnam in general.
  • Biggest disappointment of 2023: Beyond the Clouds spite probably.
  • Favourite coaster ride of 2023: The Flying Aces is better than Skyrush lap.
  • Favourite park trip of 2023: Can't go wrong with Liseberg.
  • Biggest enthusiast achievement of 2023: Probably all woodies in China, Europe (again). 1500? Nah.
Feels like I left a bunch of things out of there, but that's always the way.

Last edited: