What's new

WTF Merlin?

bmac

Giga Poster
This is kinda like how Anheuser Busch broke up competition in the Williamsburg area by buying up and parceling all available land plots above 100 acres in the area so that Busch Gardens remained the only amusement park in the Historic Triangle.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think this is mostly because Merlin has dominated the London/South England area for theme parks for ages now. The only park that could even have a chance is Paultons. So any competition probably scares them. I hope it makes them step up their game (especially in Thorpe..)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I get why people are annoyed with Merlin. But at the same time, isn't this what businesses do? If a supermarket has a monopoly on an area, and another supermarket comes and tries to set a branch up, wouldn't the original supermarket do whatever it could to stop that supermarket marching in on its territory?

You could argue as well that Merlin's reasoning is pretty fair, given they seem to arguing against an issue with how the application was submitted, as opposed to the application itself (as I understand it). Can see why they'd be miffed if they want a level playing field in that respect, even if it is a low move from them.

In some twisted way, this kind of is a positive thing, no? It shows that Merlin see the London Resort as a more credible and possible thing now. If they didn't think this would happen, then surely they wouldn't waste their time with this. I still am in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' camp, but yeah, it's a positive thing in some way.

Also, it's not exactly like Merlin are trying to steamroll a tiny family business and make them bankrupt, they're going against another huge company with a ton of money too.
Ultimately, it's a bit of a low blow move, but it's business.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Yes this is common but doesn't make it ok as a customer. Spending time and money on something that doesn't better their own offering absolutely deserves it's shame here. Can they not do well and be great?

Last edited:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

otwidalepda

Roller Poster
I get why people are annoyed with Merlin. But at the same time, isn't this what businesses do? If a supermarket has a monopoly on an area, and another supermarket comes and tries to set a branch up, wouldn't the original supermarket do whatever it could to stop that supermarket marching in on its territory?

You could argue as well that Merlin's reasoning is pretty fair, given they seem to arguing against an issue with how the application was submitted, as opposed to the application itself (as I understand it). Can see why they'd be miffed if they want a level playing field in that respect, even if it is a low move from them.

In some twisted way, this kind of is a positive thing, no? It shows that Merlin see the London Resort as a more credible and possible thing now. If they didn't think this would happen, then surely they wouldn't waste their time with this. I still am in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' camp, but yeah, it's a positive thing in some way.

Also, it's not exactly like Merlin are trying to steamroll a tiny family business and make them bankrupt, they're going against another huge company with a ton of money too.
Ultimately, it's a bit of a low blow move, but it's business.
You are exactly right - and this was my thoughts exactly.

As theme park enthusiasts, we see it a bit differently to Joe public or the business perspective.

In my local area - a retail park had a small Aldi. They then built a larger premises as part of its expansion for Lidl. Aldi then 3 months later submitted plans to Council to build a new, bigger Aldi opposite the park and move into their. The owners of the retail park appealed stating it would reduce footfall at their retail park. The plans got approved anyway. Everyone in the areas knows of the objection - but still visit the retail park today (even with Aldi now over the road).

The top and bottom of this - it is business and ultimately won't change the opinion or attendance of Joe public, their target demographic.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
At the end of the day, mask exemption doesn't risk the individual, it risk those around them so I think this is totally fair.

This may be really inappropriate, but I also do question how someone who has a genuine mask exemption is capable of riding a rollercoaster, given most of the exemptions seem to be around either severe asthma or serious anxiety.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This may be really inappropriate, but I also do question how someone who has a genuine mask exemption is capable of riding a rollercoaster, given most of the exemptions seem to be around either severe asthma or serious anxiety.
In my (limited) experience, the people who make a big song and dance about being mask exempt are usually the ones who actually aren't mask exempt, they're just morons. In general, the people who genuinely have difficulties wearing masks tend to be much more discrete about the whole thing.

There's a correlation between stupidity and shouting, not always, but there's definitely a pattern.

The "back of the bus" argument is great - don't they realise that's the best row?!

:D

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Goodness, my brain and heart both ache from reading that Twitter thread. Well, that, or I should probably call 999.

Of note, one reply (seemingly from a disabled person) remarked they had never once complained about having a special allocated row from joining via the disabled queue.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Comparing it to racial segregation is frankly offensive and pig ignorant to what victims of racial segregation actually faced.

Indeed, I know a few people with severe conditions that would make them exempt and they're either not going out as much as possible (which sucks, I get it) or wearing one anyway and just dealing with it.

I hate wearing them, but I do because I understand the fundamental fact that they are there to protect others from me if I am infectious. Thorpe's decision has been made to protect others whilst still allowing the mask exempt to ride, essentially what the law would call 'reasonable adjustment'. So far from being illegal like many are saying, what Thorpe have done is as compliant with the law as it could possibly be.

I've got a lot of criticisms against Merlin which I've voiced on here before, but their covid response has been frankly exceptional.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Surely if the persons daughter is genuinely exempt, then she also has a disability and would have been sat in the back anyway? Be angry about that. I was gutted when they wouldn't let me do Swarm backwards! I've never experienced front row Stealth either. Both because I'm disabled. I understand and accept why they do it but it still sucks. You can imagine my joy when I first went to BPP, a place where most of the ride ops couldn't give a flying **** wether you're disabled or fast past and in most cases ask you where you'd like to sit!

I'm technically exempt from wearing a mask myself but unless I'm really struggling, mostly during heatwaves, I will wear one. On the rare occasion that I have had to go into a supermarket or whatever without one I'm faced with constant challenges from all kinds of people. Because I'm young and not obviously disabled I get lumped into the same category as the anti-mask brigade. It's tiring.

Will

Strata Poster
Hmm, I think that counts as my daily reminder to myself to get my theme park news here and not on bloody Twitter.

Part of me was hoping it would take off so I could conveniently lose my mask if I wanted the back seat on Nemesis...

Will

Strata Poster
About to set off into the drizzle to Towers...

Just checked the app and noted Oblivion, Smiler, Hex and Thirteen all currently closed. I gather Smiler is having some (slightly poorly timed) routine maintenance and has been down over a week now, whilst Thirteen has recently decided it can't run in the rain (thank God they didn't decide that on its opening day!!)

Obviously, I'm sure none of this is intentional, but the rest of the park is currently burdenously busy as a result :(

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
From what I have heard, The Smiler is awaiting a new part from Gerst which is stuck in Brexit Customs purgatory.
Take this with a pinch of salt though, it could be total BS.

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Duel has had a 45 min queue recently, I spoke to a staff member who said she could'nt load most the car's due to broken or faulty guns.
Seems alot of rides have had alot of downtime recently aswell, wonder when The Smiler will reopen

Attachments

• 245352223_2978258202487845_6446210518587219444_n.jpg
    245352223_2978258202487845_6446210518587219444_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 26