What's new

WTF Merlin?

Will

Strata Poster
Like I said in the other thread, Funk 'n' Fly is better than any flat they've had since Dynamo was scrapped.

That... is probably because the alternatives are pretty much Ripsaw and Submission.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Depends on the flat ride though doesn't it. You don't see any funfair madhouses, top spins, sky fly's, gyro swings or disk'os do you? And also if it's a themed experience, that makes a huge difference as @Nicky Borrill had said.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I was under the impression that the **** opening hours were enforced upon them by the local authority to keep the complainers happy?

Indy

Hyper Poster
To be fair, I was having this conversation with a friend the other day about how UK parks seem to have garbage operating hours. Even in some of the summer months, some parks close by 5pm and a lot close by 6. It's utterly perplexing to us as Americans. Granted, a lot of parks throughout Europe seem to close early by American standards as well.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Suits me... I start work at 5pm and can get home in time 🙈🤣

In all seriousness though, if you've seen how quiet the parks are during these weeks, you'd understand why! How anyone can demand that they stay open later with more staff on the park than customers by 3pm (school run time) is beyond me.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
In all seriousness though, if you've seen how quiet the parks are during these weeks, you'd understand why! How anyone can demand that they stay open later with more staff on the park than customers by 3pm (school run time) is beyond me.

I guess this then comes down to the age old debate: is the park shutting at 4pm because they're so quiet from 3pm, or is the park quiet because they shut at 4pm?

In saying that, I seem to remember last year the park had very good opening hours, and had no 4pm midweek closures? So maybe it simply is the former...

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Suits me... I start work at 5pm and can get home in time 🙈🤣

I'd argue that with a smaller park 10-4 is ok, But for a park that covers as large an area as alton towers, where walking from one ride to another can take 20-30 minutes, it's pathetic! EVen today, looking at the queue times, wicker man is 30 minutes +, so hardly empty!

I'd rather see them close on one or 2 weekdays, if it meant opening until 5 when they are open..

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I guess this then comes down to the age old debate: is the park shutting at 4pm because they're so quiet from 3pm, or is the park quiet because they shut at 4pm?

In saying that, I seem to remember last year the park had very good opening hours, and had no 4pm midweek closures? So maybe it simply is the former...
The park is quieter (borderline empty!) all day at this time of year. Pretty much always has been. It’s even quieter from 3 as all of the local adults with children at school leave, as well as the coach / school trips. (Or in my case I have to leave around 3:30pm for work, just in case I hit traffic.)

Hasn’t been a factor the last 2 years, one, because the park wasn’t open at this time of year. As I kept pointing out, when I was posting how they really hadn’t ‘lost’ much of their profitable season due to covid, because the park is always dead outside of holidays through these months anyway. Two, because when it was open, at traditionally quieter times, there was a lot of pent up demand to ‘get out and do something.’

On the other hand, now we have a worsening economic climate. It really is best they play it carefully to see what demand is like… Having visited Towers 6 days out of the last 10 week days, I can tell you now… Not only is earlier closing completely justified and understandable, but also that I wouldn’t be surprised to see mid week closures again!

I'd argue that with a smaller park 10-4 is ok, But for a park that covers as large an area as alton towers, where walking from one ride to another can take 20-30 minutes, it's pathetic! EVen today, looking at the queue times, wicker man is 30 minutes +, so hardly empty!

I'd rather see them close on one or 2 weekdays, if it meant opening until 5 when they are open..

You could have done the park twice over in 6 hours on midweek days this week! We’ve been turning up after mid day, leaving around 3, doing things at a very sedate pace, and still getting loads of things done with time to have a sit down meal in woodcutters or RCR!

Midweek closures would not surprise me though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Can you imagine if the geniuses at Alton actually installed a portable Huss Top Spin on the former site of Ripsaw?

'Thoosies would be CRYING.
Is there a huge difference between the park and travelling Huss models? Genuine question as I’ve no idea…
Take this with a pinch of salt, but apparently, Ripsaw was actually a travelling top spin that Tussauds simply themed in as opposed to a park model like Rameses, so it wouldn’t technically be any different to what was there before aside from in theme…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Take this with a pinch of salt, but apparently, Ripsaw was actually a travelling top spin that Tussauds simply themed in as opposed to a park model like Rameses, so it wouldn’t technically be any different to what was there before aside from in theme…
I’ve just checked wiki and Huss, and whilst some variants seem to be specifically designed for parks, the classic seems to be adaptable to travel or sit stationary… (including Ripsaw and Rameses.)

Would love some firm clarification on this.

Will

Strata Poster
Can you imagine if the geniuses at Alton actually installed a portable Huss Top Spin on the former site of Ripsaw?

'Thoosies would be CRYING.
Personally, I'd find it hilarious. Though I'd rather see a breakdance in the old Dynamo space (nearby, I know there's a corrugated shed of pointless in the way) that would make me a very happy man.

I've had a few mooches around the park on weekdays this season and the 10-4 is fine for the current crowd level. Was a bit yucky when Wicker was on one train but no issue at all now that's resolved :) Agreed with Nick - I'd have forgiven them if they had the midweek closures through Spring and Autumn but for a number of selfish reasons, I'm very glad they don't :)

One thing that I can see would be a problem for some visitors is the current Skyride closure. I enjoy a wander through the gardens but I know not everybody's lucky enough to be able to. Latter half of this week I can see the weather would be a problem, but not before that.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I honestly think 10-4 is really not okay, as stated above, a smaller park would be fine. But Alton Towers is one of the largest parks in Europe, 6 hours is really not enough. A big problem i have with Alton is that The Smiler to Nemesis without Skyride is about a 20 minute walk, that is a good chunk of your day gone right there. And i'm a fast walker!

I think 10-4 can get you a good day but it makes you have to seriously run a regime to get those things done. Which is not something i want when i go a theme park. I know the locals pose an issue, but at least another hour would make a lot of difference. Even on quieter days 6 hours is a really short operating day.