What's new

Worst theming attempts

Sandman

Giga Poster
This doesn't have to be for an overall coaster/flat etc. It could be one really terrible animatronic on an otherwise great ride, or just a badly themed ride from start to finish. I'm just interested in seeing some of the really shoddy 'attempts' at theming many of you have seen on your travels. Post photos if you have them!

Non themed rides don't count as bad theming attempts either :wink:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The "Slowpids" at Twin Lakes.

Black bin bags stapled to the edges of the ride and Asda bargain bin Halloween decorations (literally with the bargain price tags left on) scattered around it.

Just the worst.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
27ba4570c667a5813dcae212388b2660.jpg

From The Underground at Adventureland. Literally sounds like a typewriter. The rest of the ride is also pretty shoddy.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Relative to the newer rides in the park (Europa-Park) like Matterhorn-Blitz, Poseidon or Wodan, I find that Eurosat's theming is pretty poorly and neglected. The outdoor part of the queue isn't themed at all, inside it just looks so old. The ride itself doesn't really look like space at all. Mainly colorful lasers, and a few papier-mache asteroids with blacklight (with "a few" I mean like 5 or 7, with the size of a basketball). And then there is this tunnel of light which still uses those lightbulbs with blue glass (half of them doesn't even work anymore). So much missed potential. They could make stars of small LEDs, they could add cooler effects into that tunnel by using LEDs, put in more physical theming like asteroids, renovate that station so it doesn't look like it's from a black and white science fiction movie. I hope they only hesitate to update it because they have bigger plans for it. Darkride + Space is a great combination, but not very well executed in Euro-Sat. It might have been cool when it was first created, and for sure done with love, but for today's standards it is pretty boring.

Edward M

Strata Poster
ATI said:
CanobieFan said:
Pretty much... anything Six Flags calls theming
You mean Cedar Fair...

Ya, I feel like at least Six Flags TRIES. Sometimes the theming works quite well I think (Batman clones, El Toro, Kingda Ka, all of Fiesta Texas). The Justice League rides are actually amazing rides. However, Cedar Fair just rarely even tries with theming. For every Banshee, there are 10 Windseeker themed rides. Aka not themed.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Six Flags Bizzaros and those horrid facades/random items.

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Bizarro_664572_i0.jpg

3ec34ff7ffc5371f-2012_SixFlagsGreatAdventure_10_Bizarro.jpg

Edward M

Strata Poster
Hyde said:

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Bizarro_664572_i0.jpg

3ec34ff7ffc5371f-2012_SixFlagsGreatAdventure_10_Bizarro.jpg

Call me crazy, but I always kind of liked the theming on SFGAdv's Bizarro. What can I say, I'm a sucker for mist.

andrus

Giga Poster
Hyde said:
Yeah, really anything Six Flags cardboard would qualify for worst theming attempt imo. Better just leave the attraction without theming. No one will ever think they're in the DC Comic world by placing a few cardboards portraying Green Lantern anyway.. Cardboards are just plain ugly and cheap!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Six Flags may do some sort of effort, but at least the Cedar Fair coasters tend to look a lot nicer than the Six Flags ones.

Lofty

CF Legend
Kumali at Flamingo Land - they decided to spite the wire mesh over the shaping metalwork, meaning it's all collapsed in on itself.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sanchezmran said:
Six Flags may do some sort of effort, but at least the Cedar Fair coasters tend to look a lot nicer than the Six Flags ones.
Or, at least, Cedar Fair is able to name rides beyond a slate of preset names: Titan, Goliath, DC Comics, etc.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
What Cedar Fair has been doing recently has been really good. Not every park needs to spend loads of money theming everything up. Having a really presentable and tasteful entrance plaza can be enough. Six Flags is consistently nauseating.

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
Six Flags has messed up alot of the themed areas at SFGAm but County Fair is definitely the worst. I don't recall the last time I encountered a pirate, military jets, demons, or gladiators at a county fair. They might as well just rename the area "Six Flags Plaza" haha

EuropaFTW

Roller Poster
Zufari at Chessington is probably the most pathetic attempt I've seen at theming.
They had a decent budget, before Merlin slashed it, leading to a unfinished, poorly themed mess.