What's new

Worst Down Time

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
FaceYourNemesis said:
Th13teen. It breaks down nearly every time I visit Alton Towers.

Completely agree, when I went several weeks ago it broke down 3 times...and that was only when I was in the dark forest...

Meanwhile, Rita was running perfectly and didn't break down once, so th13teen is the new queen of breakdowns!

The worst downtime I've ever experienced on a ride was G-force at DM...it broke down at around 1 and didn't open for the rest of the day! Nobody was trying to fix it anyway!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Can I nominate Orphan Rocker?

As for coasters that are actually running on a regular basis, I've heard that Dejà Vu takes the cake.

On the other hand, what would the most reliable coaster type be? Apart from kiddie rides, I mean (honestly, how often can a ride like that break down?)?

Sam

Giga Poster
Never had a problem with Thirteen or Saw....

Colossus and Air both have a habit of breaking down quite a bit (when I've visited anyway) and the usual suspects like TTD and Ka I guess too....

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Sam said:
Colossus and Air both have a habit of breaking down quite a bit (when I've visited anyway) and the usual suspects like TTD and Ka I guess too....

With Colossus it's sometimes not just because the ride has broken down...

I was in the queue line for Colossus once and the queue wasn't moving at all. After wondering why, the ride operator announced that a rider had had too much mcdonalds before riding and she had covered the train in her own*....Well I think we can work it out for ourselves...

*Sick :eek:

Mike

Giga Poster
I'd bet Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain would be pretty high up there.
That thing's always down, and I heard I was pretty lucky to even get on it in the first place.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^We seemed to get on it alright when we were there. I think it was closed when we got into the park (can't remember if that was a fault or if it just opened later), but after it had opened it was running nearly all day I think.

Guess I'm a lucky one. :p

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
Kingda ka most be the winner! Something happened mid/late August. and now it's going to be closed the rest of the season.

Colossus

Giga Poster
dj-fireball999 said:
Jubilee Odyssey...? I swear that thing is never open...

That`s not because its broken down, its mainly because they just don`t open it full stop, though i don`t think its been so bad lately.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I think Saw has got better though. We were stuck in the final brake run earlier this year, and on the same day, we got stuck again before the lift because the woman in the station at the end said a men had a panic attack in the station and they had to get paramedics to take him away... odd times :/

D1993

Hyper Poster
Its gotta be anything Intamin. They make amazing stuff, but constantly their stuff brakes down.
Kingda Ka ..... man dont get me started on that. Its so temperamental. Probably my worst experience with a coaster, although once you actually get on the thing, its one of my favorites.

T0M

Hyper Poster
In terms of just being unavailable, Jubilee Odyssey.

In terms of having actual technical, mechanical or electrical issues, probably Stealth.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Th13teen at Alton Towers. I must've been to AT about 8 times so far this year, and Th13teen has always broken down on each visit. I know it's a prototype, but jeez...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
D1993 said:
Its gotta be anything Intamin. They make amazing stuff, but constantly their stuff brakes down.

Would be even worse if they didn't, wouldn't it?

Also, I think the "Intamins are less reliable than toys that come with children's magazines"-craze is overhyped. After all, there are hundreds of their contraptions on the market today, and we only hear about their prototypes breaking down. A coaster like Ka or Dragster would be sure to break down regardless of who built it, it's a fairly complicated machine after all. They have dozens upon dozens of "tried and true" rides as well, such as their Inverts, the Woodies, Mega-Lites, smaller launchers, Spinners, Zac-Spins, Hypers, etc, etc.