What's new

Worlds Steepest Drop

mouse

Giga Poster
Ok, I know that the current worlds steepest drop on a coaster is mumbo jumbo at flamingo land.
So here is my question:
Why doesn't Screaming Squirrel at Mysterious Island count?

mysterious_23_536.jpg

Its a lot steeper than mumbo jumbo,
does it not count as a drop?

That is all. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It is argued that it doesn't count as a true drop because there are trims all the way round, however quite honestly it's just down to how the park markets it. The Screaming Squirrel coasters, and the El Loco's are both made by S&S, so it really is down to the park.

World's steepest drop is load of **** anyway. Oblivion's drop is 10x better than the ones on Sequoia Adventure (they are good, and a lot of fun, but nothing on Oblivion obviously). So yeah, for me World's Steepest drop is just daft.

mouse

Giga Poster
I agree that Oblivions drop is better, but I think that it's a good record to have. It must be hard to manufacture a safe, steep drop, it's a good thing for manufacturers to show off.

A

Anonymous

The reason why the drop on Mumbo Jumbo is counted as the steepest drop (already succeeded by the new one at Fuji-Q, but I guess that it won't be official until it opens) and not the one on the Screaming Squirrels, is because of the reason that it's a real drop, where as the ones on ss's have brakes (or other device) to control the decent of the whole "drop"...

A

Anonymous

The one at Fuji-Q is 121° which is 8 more than the one in France...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
How steep does it have to become before it's just an inversion? Surely the Screaming Squirrel isn't a "steep drop", but rather just a shallow drop into an inversion?

mouse

Giga Poster
It couldn't possibly be an inversion because it's not on coasterforce!
That clears that up...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
yea steepest drop is a load of bull they need to define what is a drop and what is a inversion
it seem that these kind of coasters never get credited for the record

T0M

Hyper Poster
Anything beyond 90 degrees is rubbish, unless someone were to invent something that goes over at some real speed so you think you're going to fly off. The Mumbo Jumbo drop and Eurofighters are nothing compared to Oblivion (or even suspended rollercoasters with 60 degree drops).

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
yea steepest drop is a load of bull they need to define what is a drop and what is a inversion
Who are 'they'? Surely that's our job as enthusiasts!

I don't think many people would look at a Screaming Squirrel and call it a drop. I'd call it more of a sideways turn!

p.s. Screaming Squirrel <3 I love you. Like the crazy love child of Slammer and a Wild Mouse

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mysterious Sue said:
Who are 'they'? Surely that's our job as enthusiasts!

I have an almost perfect image reserved for such times you sick little puppy you!

inversions.jpg

Hmmmmm... Needs updating a little... :lol:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I remember that chart from ages ago!

I agree, Screaming Squirrel's "drops" are more coaster elements than steep drops, entering the world of inversions.