What's new

Wooden coasters dwindling in number?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Lord Morton brought up the fact that there are now only 175 wooden coasters operating worldwide in the 'Milestone Coasters in Your Count' topic, which spurred a bit of discussion and I'm moving those replies here in an effort to keep the other topic from getting hijacked.
david morton said:
Re:200 woodies.... scared me to realise that RCDB only lists 175 woodies in the world - how many have gone defunct in the last few years :(

(I'm on something around 117 of them, most still there but ~15 gone)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Milestone Coasters in Your Count

^Holy **** that's crazy! I never even stopped to think about that.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

That is crazy. Since becoming a enthusiast I've grown to love wooden coasters more and more but now they are incredibly outnumbered by steel coasters and are kind of a rare treat in a way. It's kind of sad to think about. This would make a good topic. I'm on my phone now so if someone else would like to make one sooner than I can get to my computer that's fine.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

There is a beautiful traditional feel to a wooden coaster, I haven't ridden many, but I love the authentic feel they have and they are often extremely aesthetically pleasing too. I am surprised that there are so few to be fair, this ties in with the 'inversions or airtime' topic, because usually (I know this is a MASSIVE generalisation especially on the airtime front so don't shoot me) woodies are the airtime makers, whilst steel are the inversion makers, and almost unanimously, us enthusiasts prefer airtime over the inversions, so we need more wood. Tayto Park's woodie this year is an excellent start, with anything at any Merlin park in 2017 building on from that. We all need more wood!

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I think the thing with woodies is, parks see them as a type. Basically, one is enough a lot of the times. You don't see too many parks with multiple woodies. Steel has much more variety and thus parks are installing multple steel coasters in different shapes and sizes.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Wooden coasters dwindling in number

Yeah I think you're probably right. Also, the general public, like those who want to show off to their mates that they have the biggest balls would rather ride the likes of Stealth that's 200ft, or the Smiler with it's 14 inversions than a woodie that goes to 100ft (maybe), and, in most cases, no inversions. They look tamer, there's no doubt about it, but that often means they're a better ride in general. Certainly have more re-rideability anyway.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

With the recent closures of Gwazi, Rolling Thunder, White Canyon, and Son Of Beast as well as the RMC conversions of Texas Giant, Rattler, Medusa, Cyclone and Colossus, there's never been a decline quite like this. The success of the RMC Iron Horse conversions only makes it seem like that decrease will continue.
However, there are new wooden coasters being built of course, including the much hyped (on CF) Tayto Park addition, Gravity Group's first switchback, Starliner's return to Panama City Beach as well as numerous new woodies in China. Then there's RMC's new woodies like Outlaw Run, Goliath at Six Flags Great America and Wildfire coming to Kolmården next year. So is the wooden coaster count really dropping or are are we just overreacting to the recent closures?
I think it's the latter, as the numbers would suggest. In the last five years there have been 12 wooden coaster closings, whereas 15 new woodies have opened. Granted, that's only a +3 difference, but with Gravity Group joining RMC in adding inversions to their woodies, I only see that number increasing as parks see that as an added incentive to pick wood over steel - especially if the park doesn't already have a wooden coaster, which many don't. Then there's the success of the Gravity Group small footprint woodies like Twister, Roar-O-Saurus and Wooden Warrior, in addition to the previously mentioned Switchback at ZDT'S Amusement Park.
My wooden coaster count is at 169 and although I'm likely to hit 1200 overall before I reach 200 woodies, I'm really not fretting over the recent closures.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As Jerry mentioned, there has been a sudden swing of larger, notable wooden coasters being removed. And wooden coasters have always taken a minor share in year-over-year new roller coaster additions (of the 123 roller coasters opening in 2015, 9 of them will be wood, 6% of the whole).

However, I think it boils down to a matter of how the question is framed to gain better insight on overall wooden coaster trends. Is it really a matter of parks choosing between wood and steel? Or are there more factors that play into design choices?

One unique characteristic about wooden roller coasters is they are all pretty much the same. Yes, some are larger and some are faster, but the design of the wooden roller coaster remains the same: they all have lap bars, they all have airtime hills, and majority do not invert (save for Outlawn Run, Hades, and Wildfire). There is a significant amount of continuity throughout the wooden coaster industry, as the design remains pretty constant.

Looking at steel roller coasters, the first thing one will notice is there is anything but continuity in design. Let's do a quick rundown of just about every steel coaster variety that is currently on the market:

- Multi-looper sitdown
- Mine train
- Launcher
- Flying
- Floorless
- Stand-up
- Dive machine
- Inverted
- Hyper
- Giga
- Kiddie
- Water
- Shuttle
- Spinning
- Powered
- 4D
- Indoor
- Bobsled
- Suspended
- Pipeline
- Wingrider
- Sit down

Pretty extensive list when compared to wood, isn't it? (However we are getting that shuttle wood for 2015!)

My point is a park does not simply build a steel or wooden roller coaster. They build an inverted or bobsled or hyper or suspended or etc. OR wood roller coaster. The real choice an amusement park makes is not between two types of roller coaster (wood or steel), but hundreds.

Wooden roller coasters are then just another type of roller coaster to be added to the list. While they have lost a competitive edge to a variety of other types of steel designs, they will be chosen by parks that are looking at those key characteristics of a classic wooden roller coaster: good airtime, fun layout, and a classic ride experience.

The choice is not between wood or steel roller coasters, and has not been for quite some time.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I think, at least in the UK, there's a perception that woodies are rough, rickety rides. People only really have Blackpool's coasters to go on, unless they go to Oakwood.

It'll take someone taking a real risk to change that perception and show people that Grand National isn't the pinnacle of woodie design :p

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'd like to take note that most of the closures are classic woodies. While most newer woodies are better, the classics are what started the coaster business. While some classic woodies are protected by us goons(Phoenix at Knoebels, Coney Island Cyclone, Leap the Dips at Lakemont, etc), many are just rough, low attendance coasters, rotting by the day. I think that more parks need to buy classic-esque wooden coasters, but still have a modern twist. ZDT's Switchback Railway is a great example. And I don't worry about the decrease in wooden coasters. If they are in fact slowly on the decline, I'm sure parks around the world will take notice by the time the count gets to around 50. No need to worry.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
It is a shame. Woodies give you a classic or nostalgic feeling. Plus they are a nice change from riding steel coasters, most of the time.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I think with the number of steel coasters being so high it makes the amount of wood ones look a lot less than what it is. I have been on 36 and am always looking to up that. This year I think I have maybe 10 or so on the docket? Might be more than that I'm not sure. I am really hoping to see an even higher increase in wooden coasters than in recent years but who knows. Maybe I can convince my rich friend to open a small gravity group in his backyard? :lol:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
While wood coasters are cool and rickety and classic and all that, I have to agree with those who say steel coasters are more diverse. Wood has certain limits as a building material, which means that unless you want to be dangerously experimental, if you choose to go for wood you have a lot fewer options as to what your coaster can do. Inversions are usually out of the picture, you have to place footers and supports all over the place, and your ride will get a very distinctive look, limiting its uniqueness if you get what I mean. Painting a woodie requires a humongous amount of paint (and time), and choose the wrong colour and it'll end up as a bit of an eyesore. Aesthetically, it seems like woodies can be natural in colour or painted white, so that means that one woodie usually looks a lot like very many others out there. You're stuck with a few colour schemes and the support structure will look the same almost every time, unless it's using the terrain exceptionally well. Add to this that it rides pretty much the same as most other woodies, and it all boils down to woodies being perceived as rigorously unflexible. If you've got one of them already (or there is one in a nearby park), you won't have much of a sales argument when marketing the other. If a park wants to offer its parkgoers a diverse experience, they probably shouldn't buy another woodie before the one they've already got has grown quite old. A woodie is perceived as a single coaster type along the line of floorless ones, inverts, spinners, Dive Machines... you get the picture.

This leads into another interesting point: Look up a timeline of "world's first" for coasters. You'll find that all launching coasters, inverts, floorless coasters, Dive Machines, Eurofighters, Wing Coasters, 4Ds and probably a many other mainstay design categories all debuted within the past 15-20 years. Simply put, there are a LOT more types of coasters to choose from now than there was 25 years ago, and when woodies are considered a single ride type the same way spinning coasters are, it's only natural that the woodies' share of the pie shrinks. It's not competing as a material, but as a ride type, and there have become many more ride types in the pool in recent years.

There's also another point with woodies: Size. Even a comparatively tiny woodie is still many times bigger than a small kiddie steel coaster. I daresay you can't build a "true" woodie kiddie coaster (though I suppose it is possible, but no standard manufacturers seem to provide the necessary narrow-gauge trains, among other things). Whilst the fans tend to notice the big coasters the best, fact remains that most of the coasters in the world are quite small. More parks order small coasters than big ones, and small coasters are usually made out of steel (though I suspect we might see some made of polymer composites in the not-too-distant future). This is an entire category of rides that woodies can't compete in, and it just so happens to be the biggest category too, by numbers.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. Wooden coasters tend to be cheap, distinct and marketable enough that they will usually find their way to a park's lineup sooner or later. Most parks that have big steel coasters (which, when you think about it, is a minority) seem to get a wood coaster or two too. They're not overwhelmingly exotic or complex, they provide fun for all ages by virtue of not being extreme unless you build them very big, and they're not that expensive to make. I wouldn't say that woodies are on the decline in the grand scheme of things, just that they are competing (and staying afloat) in a much bigger market. Woodies may appear to be on the decline, but rather I think everything else is on the rise, and since the share of woodies is higher among the aging, about-to-be-decomissioned group of coasters, it's only natural that the numbers go down for a short period. They will probably stabilize in a few years.

andrus

Giga Poster
^That's a great in-detail post, and I agree in most everything you wrote! :)

There are just a couple of minor things like:
Pokemaniac said:
If you've got one of them already (or there is one in a nearby park), you won't have much of a sales argument when marketing the other.
I think that, with some efforts, you could easily have 2-3 different woodies in a park and be able to market them as completely different ride experiences. You could, let's say, have a twister-, a hyper- and an inverting woodie with completely different characteristics, that even the general public could easily distinguish!

The twisting and winding structure of a GCI coaster communicates the ride experience in a really good way, plus it's a beautiful piece of architecture that would enrich any park! The sheer size of an Intamin prefab (à la Colossos/El Toro) is easily distinguishable as a ride full of speed, height and airtime. Finally, the brightly painted track of an RMC with all of it's inversions (and other wacky elements) would make it three very different coasters; both in terms of ride experience, but also in visual appearance.

Also, I think a major reason for parks not buying more woodies has to do with the amount of maintenance and upkeek required. It takes a lot of work and money to keep a woodie continually running well. Plus a lot of woodies degrade quickly, making for a rough ride experience, which is never a apopular thing among the general public.

therick311

Mega Poster
andrus said:
I think that, with some efforts, you could easily have 2-3 different woodies in a park and be able to market them as completely different ride experiences. You could, let's say, have a twister-, a hyper- and an inverting woodie with completely different characteristics, that even the general public could easily distinguish!

I think you are seriously overestimating the intelligence of the general public.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Taking an anecdotal sample of major U.S. amusement parks, wooden coasters seems to max out at two-per-park: Classic Out-and-Back and large twister. A few of the former Paramount parks hit 3 woodies (KD has 4), with the addition of a John Allen kiddie woodie.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
As I mentioned from the other topic, I'm really suprised there aren't more operating. Granted that Six Flags have got RMC to lump a few of their woodies with RSJs and turn in to Hybrid monsters, but even so I thought there were more than there actually are.