What's new

Wooden coaster question

A

Anonymous

I was just wanting to know is a wooden coaster still a "wooden" coaster if it has steel supports or is it still considered wooden?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's 'technically' a Hybrid coaster.

Steel track - Wooden supports (Gemini @ Cedar Point)
Wooden track - Steel supports (Voyage @ Holiday World)

They're both hybrids, although to be honest, I'd probably consider the track to define the coaster type. In that way, Gemini is steel and Voyage is wooden.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
Just thought of a problem that might arise if the Rocky Mountain Coaster Topper Track is ever put to use. That is steel box on top of about 2/3 of a regular wooden track. So therefore the running rails would actually be both wood and steel. I would think that it would be classified as a steel coaster due to both the road wheels and the upstops running on the steel portion of the track and only the guide wheels touching the wooden portion, but i don't know if that would be correct.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well it depends how you look at it. Like I (and UC) said above, you can either call it Hybrid because it has wooden supports and a steel track, or steel because the trains run on steel rails.

So yeah, it is Hybrid, but could fall under the category of steel too.

Ben

CF Legend
I like to call it a steel hybrid, but, I don't know if anyone else does...

People talked about things like Voyage and Ravine Flyer II as wooden hybrids, so I figured the other way made sense as well.

Cause they're not *really* steel coasters, they are hybrids. It's just steel is the prominent element in the hybrid-ness in terms of ride experience, so I like to point that out.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I guess that would be the most sensible naming system. It encompasses both aspects of the coaster. I'd never thought of it like that before, so today I've learnt something new!

:lol:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Don't wooden coasters run on steel track anyway? v
zipmid.jpg