Votes: 0 0.0%
  • steel

• both

• Total voters

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
From an either or perspective, if this was a US forum, wood would win. Because it's UK based, Steel is going to win.

I said both. Because I'm boring.

I've not been on many poor wooden coasters. They are all a hell of a lot of fun. But saying that, there are very, very few outstanding ones. Steel coasters are just a whole lot more varied, from exceptionally ****e to exceptionally awesome.

I think wooden coasters are samey and boring sometimes, I consider "wood" to be a type of coaster in the same way that you'd group all looping coasters.

I only think of them as being totally separate when it comes to rating, mostly because it enables a more interesting list.

When is Mitch's poll? I can't wait to do it this year now I have a big US coaster count. Fffff.

s15c

Mega Poster
My top ten is perfectly split. So is my top two. And top four. And top six. And top eight. Woodies take 1,3, 5, 8, and 9. Which leaves steel with the others. If you really like math and add up the rankings, then woodies win by three... points, we'll call them. But yeah.

nealbie

CF Legend
My top 10 consists of 2 woodies, 7 steel and 1 water coaster.

1. Tonnerre de Zeus, Parc Asterix
2. Dragon Khan, PortAventura
3. Nemesis, Alton Towers
4. Monster, Walygator Parc
5. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
6. Silver Star, Europa Park
7. Piraten, Djurs Sommerland
8. Colossus, Thorpe Park
9. Vliegende Hollander, Efteling
10. Troy, Toverland

I'd say each ride as it comes - being prejudiced one way or the other is silly and nonsensical.

But what I will say is that wooden coasters have to have a soul, be a bit out of control and have a nice jerky bite to them. Which is why the plug'n'plays don't make it into the top 10 despite copious airtime (well, in Colossos' case anyway, Balder didn't have EPIC airtime, but was decent enough); and that Expedition Ge Force WOULD be awesome if it was a woodie, but it isn't and just upsets me with lost potential! :(

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
steelvs wood

In order for a wooden roller coaster to compete with steel, it has to be good.

There are 18 steel roller coasters in the US to top 200 feet.
There is one wooden (Son of Beast) and it is currently closed.

While wooden provides the bumpy sensation, steel is ultimately on top.
While I respect the woodies, I vote steel.

Ben

CF Legend
^You realise height does not equal quality?

In fact, the one woodie you mention as tall, and therefore "good", Son of Beast, has one of the worst reputations for a wooden coaster on the planet...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
My top 10 consists of 2 woodies, 7 steel and 1 water coaster.

Mine has four woodies I think, maybe five...

Considering that at least two of your woodies I would hope would make my top ten, then that really pushes things in favour of woodies.

At least 75% of my coaster count is also Steel, so the out look is just completely against steel being the best.

That's not to say Steel is bad, it's not, but a good woodie is mind blowing, a good steel is rare.

Height and speed has nothing to do with it. I'm six foot tall and last 20 seconds in the bedroom, I'm sure there is wood out there can far outshine that and is shorter ;)

Kevin26

Roller Poster
Well, even though Wild Waves has only two coasters worth mentioning. I'd have to go with;

Wild Thing. As compared to my experience with Timberhawk, Wild Thing is more smooth

So, I vote steel.

Artichoke

Mega Poster
I didn't even know this topic existed, lol. Anyways, Woodies are always great. But, it's all about the Steel.