What's new

Wings3D, Help thread (NL)

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Yeah, I figured out that I needed to be in "Face Selection" mode. But I got it done:

monstrum2an2.png

I'm working on that for CoasterCrazy[dot]com. Smooth as silk. And after messing around with Wings 3D for a bit more, I finally figured out how to "duplicate" objects, and create superb looking objects. But, how do you reduce poly count, so that it doesn't kill my (or anyone elses) FPS? I had a look around at all the tools and stuff, but can't figure it out.

I noticed one thing though, render as "Open GL.", is that how?

Deano

Mega Poster
I dont have an answer for that question^^^

But i have my own question :lol:

I tried to download Wings3D and this came up:>>>-

Wings3derrormessage.jpg

(Help!)

Thanks in advance,

A

Anonymous

^^ Xpress, As long as you're under 100k vertexes total then anyone with a pretty standard computer should be able to run it on your track. (It's more likely that Wings bogs down then NL does it.)

When you reduce the vertex count you try remove nodes/edges/faces that don't really do anything.
Example, you have a flat surface with a couple of nodes in the middle of it, they are unnecessary for the shape. (Note that you might need some extra faces for texturing, depending on what you are going to do with the object).

Open GL is a rendering engine, you can render an image of your object in Wings with light sources, shadows, etc.

^ Deano, Try and re-download the installer, maybe even from another mirror.
Also be sure that you get the windows one.
(Please use as many "^" as the number of posts above yours as you want to refer to)

Deano

Mega Poster
Kool thanks, i downloaded it again overwritting the other file and it installed and worked. How ever when clicked, wings 3d opens 2 windows? wings3d editor (i guess) and "Erlang"...Whats that about?

A

Anonymous

^ Erlang is just the environment that Wings is written in and that window might print out crash dumps etc.
Just minimize it an ignore.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Closing out that pesky window closes out the entire program, which I've found out on a few occasions.

Umm, how can I convert the values from Metric to Imperial? I hate having to set my setting to metric to measure a station, and then forgetting I had it changed, then having everything screwed up. I haven't found said adjustment panel.

A

Anonymous

Those measurements are in "Length Units", you could use that 1 unit is 1 foot or something.
Then it would work pretty well with NL as well.

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Ugh, nevermind.

Well, I'm almost done with the station part of the statio,n and only need to add a queue path, and an exit path. Just one minor problem. Holw can I get the object to appear transparent while in the sim? I need this for the ride operator booth window, otherwise the ride op will be looking at just a object, not the ride.

A

Anonymous

^ You create a material that have an opacity that is less then 1, around 0.5 or so is a pretty good. Attach this material to both sides of the window.
Look at the "Material" tutorial I posted.

Xpress

Strata Poster
^Wow, thanks. That worked great. Now, just for some fine tuning, and to add the railings, ride op booth touches, queue lines, queue gates, exit path, signs, some speakers, lights, and maybee if I feel like it, even add 3Ds catwalks :D. This is going to be one sick station. loefet, watch out, there is a new 3Ds master comming to town :D

Ollie

CF Legend
Question Here! :p

I've added colours to the model im building. But when I export it to NL the colours don't appear. :?

Xpress

Strata Poster
Did you also save the texture into the NL objects folder? If not, then that is your problem.

Ollie

CF Legend
^No, I clicked on the section I wanted to colour, then clicked on colour vertex or something like that. So used the sliders to pick a colour. All the colours were there in the program, it's just in NL that they decided not to show up. :?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'm not sure what you mean.

You have to have a copy of the texture/colour in the NL folder too. This allows NL to find the file.

A

Anonymous

Ok, Coaster Ollie I think I know what you have done.

Using colours from the Palette will not really stick to the model when exporting them, you have to create a "material" for each colour (see second post).
But there is a way to convert the colour from the Palette to a material, but they looks really bad in NL. Better to create the materials them yourself, and then tweak the colours just right.

I will look into when I get home from Uni.

And by the way, even if you use textures from all around the computer, Wings can be set to export a copy of that texture to the folder you export the 3ds object to.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Well, figured out how to reduce the poly count, but when I place the object into the sim, everything just gets colored red. Do I need to close out my editor, reload and then place the object, or what?

A

Anonymous

Sounds that you have problems with the colours of the object.
The only thing you need to do when you test something, is to export it and then run the simulator. I never close Wings nor the track while testing.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Well, now the objects don't even get colored at all. And the objects that do get colored aren't even the right colors.