What's new

Will 2017 be a down year for coasters?

coaster addict

Mega Poster
With all of the rumors and current 2017 announcements, it appears that 2017 might not have as many roller coaster additions. Do you think that this means that it will be a down year? Also, might that indicate that 2018 will be more coaster-focused?

Edited to correct grammar in title. - ECG

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Is 2017 be a down year for coasters?

It's definitely shaping up that way. Granted, Six Flags announcement is in a few hours, and they may surprise us. La Ronde is rumored to be getting something big, and we may just see another surprise or two.

Outside of KI and BGE though, nothing has really been announced. A lot of flats/water park additions, which is definitely needed. SDC has been rumored for something big, but that may end up being 2018 as well. The Mean Streak announcement should be in a few weeks as well which could change things, but again, that is probably 2018.

I fully expected Boss to get Iron Horsed, but rumors say they are just getting a flat.

2018 would be shaping up to be a monster year, across the globe, but far too earlier to tell now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

coaster addict

Mega Poster

tomahawk said:
It's definitely shaping up that way. Granted, Six Flags announcement is in a few hours, and they may surprise us. La Ronde is rumored to be getting something big, and we may just see another surprise or two.

Outside of KI and BGE though, nothing has really been announced. A lot of flats/water park additions, which is definitely needed. SDC has been rumored for something big, but that may end up being 2018 as well. The Mean Streak announcement should be in a few weeks as well which could change things, but again, that is probably 2018.

I fully expected Boss to get Iron Horsed, but rumors say they are just getting a flat.

2018 would be shaping up to be a monster year, across the globe, but far too earlier to tell now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You bring up a great point. There are some projects that could end up appearing for 2017 (Mean Streak, SDC, KD Hurler, etc.), but many of those could be longer projects for a 2018 appearance. Similarly, many assume CW will get in line for a new coaster in either 2018 or 2019. With SFOG likely getting Battle for Metropolis in lieu of a coaster for their 50th anniversary, it appears more and more coaster projects are on the shelf for another year. Of course, the amusement park is not just made up of coasters!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Once every 8 or so years, there is a flat year where there's a lack of significant, exciting coasters opening. 2017 does seem to be that year. There's nothing going on in the UK, Europe or the States that has me excited. I don't care about Asia/rest of world because I have no plans to go there. I'm sure something will pop up that we can half-heartedly waved our coaster flags at! Roll on 2018.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Just to spite you all, a huge site at Movie World has been fenced off and Mack Rides crates have been spotted, so 2017 wont be an off year for us it seems!

14054906_1059289047474352_8070920503561705480_n.jpg

14203110_1070486693021254_4472876329226861318_n.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well all of Six Flags' announcements were as expected- almost entirely copy-paste.

It is really sad to think that the 4 biggest new coasters in the US are all pretty much clones.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Same boat as Ian, although there's nothing particularly exciting going on in those parts of the world anyway. The only projects that i'm even aware of are;

BGW - Invadr
Djurs - Intamin Family Invert
Kings Island - Mystic Timbers
Slagharen - Gerst?
Movie Park - Mack Shuttle
Parc Asterix - Gerst family

Jesus christ that's rather depressing. Are we deep in announcement season yet? Praying there's a few more to come.

TilenB

Strata Poster

Gazza said:
Just to spite you all, a huge site at Movie World has been fenced off and Mack Rides crates have been spotted, so 2017 wont be an off year for us it seems!

14054906_1059289047474352_8070920503561705480_n.jpg

14203110_1070486693021254_4472876329226861318_n.jpg
That probably won't be ready by the next July, will it? I've searched around the internet a bit after seeing the rcdb listing, but it seems that park hasn't made any announcements yet. Any idea on what sort of ride it is? Oh, and is Superman closed for maintenance every year for 2 months in Australian winter?

As for elsewhere it doesn't seem to be too exciting of a year. The only big thing that's opening is that hideous thing in Salou. And the new Vekoma in Poland doesn't look to be too shabby either.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I don't think it's as dry as people are saying really.

There's that fab looking Vekoma in Poland, the thing at Asterix and Europe's tallest coaster in Spain (though nobody's excited)

China is surprisingly dry next year. A couple of GCI woodies, a B&M wingrider and a dive machine. Having said that, I think a few of the 2016 coasters are more likely to open next year, and more stuff is likely to pop up.

Australia has something big coming to Movie World apparently, but not a lot of detail yet.

davidm

Strata Poster

Australia has a habit of opening coasters at Xmas ; so it might just sneak into 2017!

RMC have to have 3 or 4 things that aren't public yet though surely, given the apparent demand for their product?

coaster addict

Mega Poster
Not to plug the GTA's, but it will be curious which ride will get best new attraction in 2017. The new announcements from Six Flags hit the wire just a short bit ago, and it appears that 4D coasters and Battles are coming to a total of six parks (3 4D coasters and 3 battles).

Like many of you have said, flat rides and water attractions are important - I agree 100%!

cookie

Giga Poster

Can't speak for the States, but in 2017 Europe is getting:

Fireball (Vekoma Family Boomerang) - Furuvik
Gold Rush (unknown type) - Attractiepark Slagharen
Heidi The Ride (GCI) - Plopsaland De Panne
Kleine Zar (Preston & Barbieri mini coaster) - Hansa Park
Lech Coaster (Vekoma looping coaster) - Śląskie Wesołe Miasteczko
Pegasé Express (Gerstlauer family coaster) - Parc Asterix
Star Trek: Operation Enterprise (Mack launched coaster) - Movie Park Germany
unknown (Intamin accelerator) - Ferrari Land (Port Aventura)
unknown (Intamin inverted coaster) - Djurs Sommerland

There's nothing I see that can reach Taron or Wildfire-levels of hype (although the Star Trek coaster should be pretty sweet and I'm interested in how the Polish Vekoma looper turns out) but I wouldn't call it a bad year.

Outside of new coasters we have:

Star Tours 2 + new trains for Space Mountain (Disneyland Paris)
Project V (Europa Park)
Gerstlauer Sky Fly (Hansa Park)
Ikaros (Gröna Lund)
Symbolica (Efteling)
etc.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
For coasters it is looking a bit lame, but Symbolica is happening so everything is fine <3 Also, Gröna Lund is getting a Falcon's Fury kind of drop tower. It will most likely be fab in that location.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't necessarily think 2017 is a flat year for coasters, but it is overshadowed by the anticipation of what 2018 and beyond brings.

coaster addict

Mega Poster
At the end of the day, each of these parks are adding something, and I have confidence that the parks will continue to get better - some better than others. I guess the buzz for 2018 will begin soon, huh?

YUNG_CHOPPA

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
After that 2017 Six Flags announcement? Yes.

Yup. i didnt really think so until six flags announced there new rides. Clones, clones, more clones, and 2 water slides... Tbh BGW and KI aren't really getting anything super special this year either. it's a drought

BTW, what is Six flags fiesta texas getting next year?!?!