What's new

Wicksteed Park (31/3/2013)

Colossus

Giga Poster
So we always go to Thorpe Park every year on Easter Sunday, we have done for the last six years anyway, well that streak is dead now because this year we decided that we didn't fancy spending the day with all the queue jumping gypos that always seem to attend Thorpe on this day, and we wanted something a little more quint and new, step forward, Wicksteed Park.

Wicksteed083_zpsef245560.jpg

So after a really easy drive from Norfolk (driving anywhere Easter Sunday is always a dream, no traffic, pure bliss) we arrive just after 10 and we're immediately confused by the parking arrangements as you have to go in to come out to go in again, then there was some car boot sale going on in the car park, but not too much problem, we park up and head in.

So after a short walk around the main area taking it all in, we stumble across the ticket office so we purchase our wristbands, first thing of note is that our adult wristbands are £13, excellent value I think, but the child's wristbands are £17? I have never seen this in a park before, you might say, well perhaps there's quite a few rides that adults can't ride due to height restrictions and what not, but no not really, the're 2.
The ride ticketing option seemed to be more popular with families.
We purchased our tickets and conveniently after we had purchased them the young lady behind the counter informs us that there's a few things closed today, the main coaster, Pirate Ship and the log flume, a little saddening, but what the heck.

We then spent the next hour or so just walking between the 3 main areas, just seeing where stuff is, and stumbling across 1 or 2 quirky little things.

Wicksteed094_zpsf3a0f23a.jpg

Wicksteed095_zps3f1fd6f0.jpg

Wicksteed116_zpsfd9dac85.jpg

After wandering about for a bit and nearly getting lost, we decide it's time to get some rides in, and more importantly, the first coaster of the year, and what better way to start the year off then with a Ladybird cred? Nemesis, Mraws, whatever? There's nothing like a +1 Ladybird to start the year off ;)

Wicksteed085_zpsde0839b1.jpg

After that we checked out the Go-Karts, and I was pleasantly surprised that to discover that they're included in the wristband price and therefore there was no charge, so it was time for some long awaited revenge, and did I get it? Hell yeah I did! 1st place to me ;) the track was only a basic oval with banked turns (which was quite cool for somebody who is a fan of motor racing) and you only got 2 laps, but the fact that they didn't cost anything means it was very good.

After that we headed back up the the main area to get the other cred, and how do you follow up a Ladybird cred I hear you ask? Well, with a Clown coaster obviously.

Wicksteed087_zpsa47c4f43.jpg

Follow that up with a slide and some dodgems and you have got yourself a pretty fun 10 minutes or so ;)

Wicksteed088_zps2701c6ec.jpg

Wicksteed140_zpsc9fe0308.jpg

Actually I really do like dodgems and therefore I can be quite critical of them if they're crap, but these are actually really good, they're operated really well.

We had a quick look at the Wicksteed Park history room, which was quite nice as it was just a room in a building, so it was really peaceful and just a nice way to spend 5 minutes, looking at all the old photographs and articles.

We stopped for lunch, and for the first time ever, we took a pack up with us, because we fancied a picnic, but as it was quite cold, we sat in the car and had that, although one thing I will say about the food is that it smelt delightful, especially the fish and chips.

Mini-Golf next and more competitiveness going on, these two pictures below are comedy gold, it's Tash on the very first hole, the first picture is of her fluffing the shot, and the second is of her genuine reaction as a result of that shot, enjoy.

Wicksteed091_zps69ebffa6.jpg

Wicksteed092_zps5db71fef.jpg

We had so much fun on here though, the course is actually quite hard, so this lead to lots of laughter at eachothers misfortune, very fun 20 minutes or so.

Wicksteed093_zps5712a1d4.jpg

This was also free with the wristband, which was cool and I was victorious by 1 point, remarkable as our score cards read something like 233 - 234 ;)

Laser Xtreme next, again free on wristbands, so we had a good 20 minutes or so messing about in there as it was just the 2 of us. Again though, as with the golf this was real fun.

Wicksteed096_zpsf27cfb18.jpg

Any trip to Wicksteed wouldn't be complete without a trip on the Wicksteed Express, it definitely felt like it was the parks centerpiece attraction, it was well up-kept, and popular all day.

Wicksteed107_zps1137f133.jpg

Wicksteed108_zps39e5cf33.jpg

After that we had another little bimble about had a look at the bird aviary and this log chute type ride? I have never seen anything like this before, although I'm sure some of you more experienced guys have, the ride was non operational, but I popped up the scariest set of steps I have been up in a while for a closer look.

Wicksteed100_zps415a2ffb.jpg

Wicksteed112_zps42ad8ae3.jpg

Wicksteed114_zps11edee88.jpg

Headed back round to the Go-Karts so that we could take some action shots of each other from the bridge, so Tash went first and left me on the bridge waiting, I was there for about 10 minutes as a queue developed, so as I was waiting on the bridge minding my own business, when a group of women joined me to enjoy the race, nothing remarkable about that right? Well, have you ever found something really hilarious but at the same time completely disgusting?
Well these "women" were just talking to themselves, when I catch one of them smelling their own breath, she turns to her friend say says, in quite a serious honest tone "I think my breath smells like poo?" made my chuckle, but at the same time, urgh.

Needless to say Natasha Vettel completely whooped her opponents silly, whereas I didn't :)

Wicksteed122_zps2e79e59f.jpg

Wicksteed124_zpsd1345c00.jpg

Wicksteed125_zpsa065d2e0.jpg

Wicksteed126_zpscbabf117.jpg

Had a little look at the Pinfari spite coaster and log flume.

Wicksteed129_zpsa9e553d3.jpg

Wicksteed131_zps1ef5886e.jpg

Then headed back over to the other corner to do the vintage cars and monorail, both of which where silly fun, the monorail actually was quite physical, espcially around the tight corners, it must just be a testament to how unfit we are, as kids were coming off the ride smiling whist we virtually crawled off it ;)

Wicksteed138_zps3a700981.jpg

The day was nearly up so we decided to have another half hour or so in the Laser Xtreme as there were now some others in there, then there was just about enough time for me to get my ass handed to me in the dodgems before it was time to get our customary fridge magnet before heading off.

There was just one more thing, this beautiful little signal box, served hot beverages!

Wicksteed141_zps095a366d.jpg

Hot chocolate in hand it was time to head home.

Conclusion

We really enjoyed ourselves here actually, we made the best of a bad situation with the cred spite and one or two other things not open, in the end we more than got our £13 worth when you think of the attractions that are free, whereas in other parks they are not, like Go-Karts, Mini-Golf and Laser tag.
So value for money definitely, staff are also really polite and chatty, park was clean and quite picturesque, with lots of nice little weird things like a lake for toy boat enthusiasts to come?
Atmosphere was also good, lots of dog walkers and happy families, good stuff.

All round really good day, apart from 1 or 2 things not being open, I cannot pick any fault, its a really nice little park. If your somebody that spends most of your time at Thorpe or Alton and you're only an enthusiast for the adrenaline, then Wicksteed is not for you, but if you fancy a day out just taking it slow and messing about on the smaller attractions, or if you have a family, I would recommend it

Missed out on

Rollercoaster - Closed (Spite)
Pirate ships - Closed
Waterchute - Closed
Lake Boats - Tash is scared of water, I just about got her on a pedalo at Oakwood last year, there was no way I was going to get her on a rowing boat.
Rocky River Falls - Closed

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Great report! Haven't been there for a while and nice to see Wicksteed still looks good. Waterchute is awesome it's a very old flume ride on a cable that drags the boat back up to the station.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haha, glad to see you put Tash in her place with the go-karts and golf.

Wicksteed is an underrated park imo. There's enough there for a silly day out despite there not being anything of significant interest.

The boat-on-a-rope ride is nothing spectacular although it is the oldest operating ride of it's type in Europe.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oy_pK4XKOA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KKRBv-bRx0[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Tell you what Ian, they are the best videos I've ever seen linked on this site ;)

Glad you enjoyed the day Nick. I really enjoy Wicksteed, but it IS a plodders park. Just for hanging about and having a "bit of a day out". When the weather's nice though, it's great to picnic on one of the grass areas or play in the park. It's a superb place for a family to visit and we had fun there for Ian's birthday a few years back.

Did you not go on the unique double pirate ship? It's pretty good as far as they go.

Pity about the closed stuff, the Pinfari is quite good fun and the boat on a rope is too. It's such a shame the Naughty Jets went, they really made the place a little different (though Tash wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole).

peep

CF Legend
I haven't been to Wicksteed yet but it sounds like you had a great time. Picture of Tash on the mini golf is highly amusing.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Fab trip report, love the photo of you on the dodgems, **** looks like it was about to get real.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Haha, glad to see you put Tash in her place with the go-karts

I did that for all those CF members present at Pleasurewood Hills on....hold on (looks at her smug trophy) 5th of August 2012.
Actually, did I read somewhere that this years GP will be held at a live I wont be attending? If so good move, we cant have Tash Vettel win again ;)

furie said:
Did you not go on the unique double pirate ship? It's pretty good as far as they go.

No unfortunately it was closed all day :(

peep said:
Picture of Tash on the mini golf is highly amusing.

Yeah, it was completely by chance I got that picture, it will probably be one of my favorite pictures of the year haha

nadroJ said:
Fab trip report, love the photo of you on the dodgems, **** looks like it was about to get real.

Oh, I can assure you, it did! **** always goes down when dodgems are involved ;)

Anyway, thanks guys for taking the time to read the report and comment, glad you liked it :)

Markeyed

Roller Poster
Glad you enjoyed it!

I actually work there but I am studying at uni for the moment so I wasn't there when you were around.

I am stationed at the 'fairground' area so I am usually the guy on the dodgems.

I think it is such a lovely little park, and you do get a really nice relaxed feeling when you get to walk around it :p I think the pinfari is still going through checks at the moment. It happened with the pirate ship aswell. Probably due to the weather conditions over the winter and how old they are starting to be..

You should bring the whole force down sometime! would be a right laugh!