What's new

Wicked Twister on Beach

D1993

Hyper Poster
Hey guys.
Ive always wondered how rides like Wicked Twister are able to have structural strength when they are built right alongside the beach? Everyone knows that as little kids we sang songs about how foolish people built their house upon the sand (terrible example I know lol), but I was thinking how does a coaster like Wicked Twister not encounter problems when its built so close upon the sand!

While im at it, how does all of Cedar Point remain structurally strong? its on an island, and wouldnt that create alot of issues for all the other coasters and rides?
Obviously, there hasnt been problems but ive always wondered why. Good time to ask now right? :)

A

Anonymous

The simple answer would be "massive foundation work", my guess would be that they drill all the way down to bed-rock before the pour the footers, it can also be that they have a massive grid between the footers below ground level.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
Wicked Twister sits on some massive slabs for it's foundation.

Photo.ashx

Credit: Jeff Putz; Pointbuzz

I do not remember whether or not it is anchored to bedrock, but I think that the slabs are large enough that it is not needed. I know WindSeeker at Cedar Point uses a massive slab of concrete with no bedrock anchor for its foundation.

As for your other question, Cedar Point is on a peninsula and the only real problem that it presents is a high water table. This just means that footers need to be drilled deeper, and that you are not going to get an underground tunnel at the park.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Cool thanks for the replies. I didnt know that about Wicked Twister it looks really cool in that photo.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Zomg!!!!! http://www.rcdb.com/408.htm?p=405

But being serious, yeah, beaches are just a place where sand washes up, it could well be that below that layer its all fine to build on.

it can also be that they have a massive grid between the footers below ground level.
Indeed, when Sea World build Jet Rescue (It's on sand) they first de watered the site:
0723-88_July-23rd-2008_IMG_5559.JPG

And the footings are all linked:
0805-88_03-08-08_IMG_5630.JPG

Snoo

The Legend
You can also see how big the footers are on the older coaster.. building on sand isn't unsafe unless you're an idiot.

D1993

Hyper Poster
^^ that was a really cool photo of great white on the beach.
I always knew that obviously even coasters near the beach/on sand are safe, but I just didnt know why/why not.