What's new

Which will be the first SW to be removed?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
There have been a few very loose rumours in the past few years about Nemesis reaching it's end, I tend to write these off as being completely false, but it gets me to thinking, which of Alton Towers' "Secret Weapons" do you think will be removed first? Surely they can't last forever, but can you imagine the park without the crater-filling beast that is Nemesis? What could they possibly replace Oblivion with? Air is too unique for this part of the world to remove, right?

Obviously none of them will be removed for a very long time and I'm not suggesting that they will, I'm just wondering what you think will come first?

Martyn B

CF Legend
Its a good question really.

Corkscrew was built in 1980 and lasted 28 years (and would have lasted longer), and I'd guess the quality of the coasters built nowadays are of a much higher standard, so they'll probably be able to live on for a lot longer. I guess it depends on if they need the space for new attractions?

I dunno... at a rough guess, I'd say Rita is the most expensive coaster to run and maintain, and probably the most unrealiable of them all, so I'd go for Rita.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I can't imagine Oblivion going anywhere. Closed for half a season to retrack in its entirety, yes, but not removed for good. It's their arguably most iconic attraction, and without it, what are you going to use that giant hole for? It would probably cost more to refill the tunnel than to retrack the coaster, and there's not really much else you can put there due to the entry and exit angles of the tunnel.

Nemesis is iconic as well, but it sits in the open, is easier to tear away and easier to replace. I mean, there's a bazillion things you can put in a crater/valley as opposed to a tunnel. Financially speaking, Nemesis has done its job. Its income has surpassed its initial cost, while its novelty factor is wearing off. People are no longer going to Alton "because of that cool upside-down coaster", but to ride "that awesomely scary coaster and the one that goes 100 mph", and do Nemesis as well while they're still there. And I guess soon, it will be more expensive to maintain, eventually critical parts will need replacing, and it might be more economic to tear it down and build something new in its place than to refurbish it.

Rita is a different story, though. While we regard it as a mediocre ride that makes no sense theme-wise and is just dumb ugly compared to a lot of similiar coasters, it does deliver a fast ride, a thrilling acceleration and is easy to market due to these raw numbers. She is also much, much younger than her brethren in the Forbidden Valley and X-Sector. While perhaps mechanically more challenging, the cost of maintaining it can be justified for at least a few more years. Perhaps to us enthusiasts' dismay, but after all, it's money that makes the parks go round.

There's no point in taking 13 into the equation. It's just too new.

So yeah, I'm guessing Nemesis is the first to bite the bucket (or whatever). It's the oldest of the lot, it's the easiest to replace, and it doesn't have the same draw factor as it used to have. It will probably stay around for a few more years, though.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Here is my perspective on what's going on.

-Rita has a layout that is kinda above the path, it would be hard to instsall another worthwhile attraction.

-And Yes, Oblivion stays, I reckon. Just, too big of a hole to fill up.

-I would miss Nemisis as it is so Photogenic, just sitting in that giant trench, but, I dunno.

-I also agree with the 13 idea Pokemaniac has.

-Air, well it doesn't take up too much room, but anyway.

-I don't think anything will be going for a while anyway. They still have the black hole tent, right?(Unless that's at Thorpe, I live in Canada, so, correct me if I'm wrong.)

It is a possibilty for anything but 13 and Oblivion, but It won't be for a while.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
Up to now, zero B&M coasters have been taken out of service- the fact that Iron Wolf, one of B&Ms oldest (1990) coasters is currently being relocated shows the simple point that Six Flags believe it to have a life of at least 10 more years - or there'd be no point relocating it. On those lines, I think Nemesis has at least another 12 years in it, Oblivion 16 etc etc, so this question is pretty redundant as the time spans are so long. I mean, Look at the matterhorn bobsleds- built in 1959 and still operational.

The real question, however is the novelty factor here- personally I think Nemesis will remain an iconic coaster for the UK and people will still heavily ride it for years to come so it'll make little sense to remove it.

On a side note, I think PMBO will go long before any of these...

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I don't think any of them are going soon, but the next SW needs to be up to the standards of Nemesis, Air and Oblivion so there ain't a gaping hole if/when they eventually do get retired.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
The only time I think they'd remove a secret weapon was if it was unpopular and old.

'King' nemesis will probably never be removed for over 15 years because it is 'king' nemesis...

I'd actually like to see th13teen go in 10-12 years time though...it's a complete pain for the park because it always breaks down!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've often wondered if Nemesis will be the first invert to ...well, die, because it's foundations must take a lot. That ride is constantly damp. I don't know enough about architecture and engineering though.

spicy

Giga Poster
At the Th13teen event last year someone asked John Wardley will Nemesis be removed anytime soon and he replied it will be around long enough for your grandchildren to ride!

Kebab

Giga Poster
I'd love to see Nemesis removed to see the overall impact it would have, and that you can say to your children/grandchildren how Nemesis was on of the most groundbreaking rollercoasters to ever be built at its time. And looking at images/videos years on of where it was, like Corkscrew/Thunderlooper, and how different it would be with a futuristic Maurer 4D flying coaster in its place?

I wouldn't really want any of them to go, if I had to choose it would probably be Air, and if Rita does count then more hopefully that.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
spicy said:
At the Th13teen event last year someone asked John Wardley will Nemesis be removed anytime soon and he replied it will be around long enough for your grandchildren to ride!

That was in reply to a girl asking if it would still be there when she was 1.4, too. But I'm sure that's not the case.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I think it's more just wishful thinking, obviously he wants his masterpiece to last forever, but he wouldn't have any say in the decision to remove it, and he did say it half in jest.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^What he might of meant was that it has the durability to last that long! (which is probably true as it is B&M)

Anyway, as I said earlier it did win the best ride poll...

What could they actually do with the valley anyway as it was probably just designed for nemesis only!

DDF14

Mega Poster
Oblivion.

I think a new coaster type could be used with a more dynamic layout and seating system / concept. But I would still incorporate a pause and drop into the hole.

::lol: :-k Jokes (World first stand up vertical drop launched blitz coaster) :signeek:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
To be honest, I don't see Nemesis ever leaving. I mean look at it, Leap the dips at Lakemont park opened in 1902, yes it was closed for a good 12 years during the nineties, but thats still a hell of a long time to opperate a coaster. Its not as if Nemesis has ever lost its thrill either, the ride isnt exactly rough (maybe it is compared with other B&Ms.. but not say, a vekoma).

Corkscrew on the other hand, was a horrible ride experience, it was a clone and was an obsolete coaster model. Inverts are still hugely popular, and I doubt will ever become obsolete in the theme park industry. Maybe its just my wishful thinking, but I would hope that if Nemesis ever did become a maintenance nightmare, that Alton would refurbish it in a way that Disney does. And if they ever wanted to make the coaster smoother, a little bit of re-profiling would be all it would need, to be honest from riding it, the only major jolt the coaster has is after the last corkscrew, so it wouldn't be major work.

I doubt Oblivion or Air will leave for a very long time either, their both very solid rides that are unique to the UK. So my attention turns to the Dark Forest. I do have to wonder how much staying power Th13teen will actually have. At the moment the coaster works brilliantly for new riders, because they do not know the gimmick, but with a few years I can see this dying down as everyone realises just how correct the graffiti in the queue line is.. 'Not worth the wait".

If I visit Alton Towers and end the without riding either Rita or Th13teen, I'm not fussed. But if I don't get to ride Nemesis, Air or Oblivion, I'll leave disappointed.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Crazycoaster said:
as everyone realises just how correct the graffiti in the queue line is.. 'Not worth the wait".
I haven't seen that - is that why they turn the lights down? :wink:

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Rita is probably the easiest to remove, its not in a pit like Nemesis, doesn't have a gapping hole like Oblivion, no large show building like Thirteen, and isn't as large or unique as Air. Do you think it possibly for them to expand on Oblivion's track? I noticed it's not much slower (only 2mph) than Skeikra, and Griffon. Both of those Dive Machines have Immelmann Loops, would Alton Towers ever add one onto Oblivion?