What's new

Which UK Coaster Has Most Airtime?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
???
Ultimate front row for insane diagonal ejector air.

I'm not going to argue, because I really, honestly can't remember. All I remember about The Ultimate is bored, bored, bored, bored OMFGTHEPAINTHEPAINTHEPAIN bored.

There may have been airtime in with the pain, but the pain overrode all other experiences.

Radaxian said:
I never get it on Grand National or any of the coasters at Blackpool :S I'd go with Megafobia for most airtime.

I've had The Nash on days like that (and on days where it's the same as The Ultimate as laid out above, only without the bored bits ;) ). I guess it's one of those where the right day, the right seat and the right weather can give you incredible air. It's more miss than hit though.

nealbie

CF Legend
Joey said:
???

Ultimate front row for insane diagonal ejector air.

It has some very intense laterals, but nothing in the way of airtime. If you want diagonal airtime you want the S-bends on a MegaLite.

Unlike furie, I don't find the Ultimate painful at all, to me it's just a poorly designed coaster that goes on so long it gets boring. The most exciting thing to happen on it EVER was Ian's 3D camera nearly falling off and killing me sat in the front row. Says it all for that coaster, so much missed potential.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
nealbie said:
It has some very intense laterals, but nothing in the way of airtime.
There are two specific hills that give you absolutely insane ejector pretty much everywhere on the train.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9DMUpiwn3s[/youtube]

The ones at 2m07 and 5m14 are both completely ridiculous. They're both really quick, violent pops though. They're not sustained.

marc

CF Legend
Must be missing that airtime then, but then again I don't get the airtime everyone else seems to get on speed.

Dan1989

Mega Poster
Some people just have a tolerance for it, maybe you should base jump off Blackpool tower is the coasters dont do it for you

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I wonder if it's to do with size or build then? I nearly get launched clear of the train on those hills. It's not subtle at all.

HarryTraversty

Roller Poster
Back seat of sadly no longer with us Southport Cyclone rivaled megaphobia and grand national for most spots of ejector airtime. Like the national, the price payed was how violently you returned to that seat at the foot of every drop. Its funny how you associate it with smooth coasters such as hypers when some of the roughest rides have the most of it.

nealbie

CF Legend
MouseAT said:
I wonder if it's to do with size or build then? I nearly get launched clear of the train on those hills. It's not subtle at all.

I doubt that's the case in all honesty. Marc and I are VERY different physical builds and experience the same.

Ultimate is quite speedy in some places with the throwing you around perhaps attempting to disguise itself as air. But actual airtime? Bollocks. :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
MouseAT said:
Same!

I don't know how they can't feel it! It's awesome, sorry so many of you miss out on it! :p

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

marc

CF Legend
Maybe you have to go on it a certain time of day in a certain seat sitting a certain way :). I really do not rate the Ultimate at all, it does nothing for me I don't even get thrown around.

It was the same with me in Zues. Sue was raving about the air time. I got zero even sitting on the back row same as her.

The only coaster to really give everyone I know the same amount of air time was the Mega lite in Denmark. No matter where you sat you got airtime.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
BTW, I'm not in the "there's no airtime on The Ultimate" camp. I'm in the "I've never noticed any because I'm so busy worrying about brain damage and broken limbs or sitting bored out of my skull to notice any" camp :p

HarryTraversty said:
Back seat of sadly no longer with us Southport Cyclone rivaled megaphobia and grand national for most spots of ejector airtime. Like the national, the price payed was how violently you returned to that seat at the foot of every drop. Its funny how you associate it with smooth coasters such as hypers when some of the roughest rides have the most of it.

No offence (it's your first post, so I don't want you to think I'm picking on you :lol:), but I don't see that at all.

The Cyclone was probably the coaster I rode most for years and years, particularly between about 2000 and 2006. I knew the ride like the back of my hand. There was definitely airtime on it, and there was more airtime than on the whole of Megafobia. However...

It didn't have extreme ejector like Megafobia's second drop (which is still one of the best moments of airtime I've ever experienced) and it wasn't a patch on Grand National running at the same time (though even now, The Nash can give some great air).

The only really great bits of ejector were at the end of the ride as it headed back to the station over those couple of camel backs. The rest of the ride was strong floater/weak ejector. I never found the ride rough in the slightest though, which considering how easily I'm broken is a bit weird you did?

CoasterGoddess

Roller Poster
I only been to UK's Blackpool Beach park back in '84 and I remember riding at least 3 coasters. I think it was the Grand National (wooden coaster) I rode alone the lap bar did not lock and I was flying up and out of my seat holding on for dear life and the bar was flying up with me. This happened for at least 4 or 5 hills. I weighed 95 lbs. I remember enjoying the wild mouse the best and the indoor dark cheesy Space Mountain type coaster the least. I'm sure that's been torn down long ago, right?
When a woman fell out of the Texas Giant recently I again thought of my ride on the UK's Blackpool coaster. It did give me air time. I also wrongly thought the women who flew out of the coaster would be light weight like me.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
CoasterGoddess said:
I think it was the Grand National (wooden coaster) I rode alone the lap bar did not lock and I was flying up and out of my seat holding on for dear life and the bar was flying up with me. This happened for at least 4 or 5 hills.
I've never been to the UK, so I an unaware of the safety procedures and quality of lapbars in UK parks. However, this seems rather unlikely.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^We're talking about 1984 and with old coaster trains. It wasn't too long before that that The Grand National had no restraints at all.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
gavin said:
^We're talking about 1984 and with old coaster trains. It wasn't too long before that that The Grand National had no restraints at all.
Hmmm, interesting. I would have thought that by the 80s trains would have more secure restraints. Out of curiosity, how old were the trains?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think they put buzz bars on The Nash in around '81 or '82. Those trains were destroyed in the fire a few years ago so they've got different restraints now. Until then, they definitely didn't have any restraints at all.

Pretty sure they were buzz bars anyway. This image seems to back it up, you can see people resting on the bar which only dropped horizontal to the ground, and didn't drop to the knees at all.
7658260172_d4640752d2_n.jpg

I also remember the bars moving up before they hit a lock position. They weren't restraints as such, more like "suggestions not to get out". So CoasterGoddess' description is very accurate. It certainly reminds me of riding it in the same period.

They moved the trains around between parks a lot, so how old the trains were I really couldn't say. I saw an image the other week of Big Dipper running the trains that went to Roller Coaster (no restraints) and I think it was in the 70s. Ah, here we are:
3707637334_9fd82b1ff5_o.jpg

This was in 1978. I'd posit that the old Nash trains were moved to Big Dipper in 1981/2 and the trains from Big Dipper went to the "tame" Roller Coaster over the same closed season.

I recall rumour in that period too about trains shifting between Southport and Morecambe as well, but treat it as hearsay :)