• Samsung LE32B550A5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toshiba Regza

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
phones?

Actually Steven, Sony TV's are a pile of w@nk. You're paying for the success of their PS1/2/3... I don't rate their TV's and I have one.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^We've had a couple of TVs now, and by far the best and most fluid picture I've seen is in the Sony Bravia KDL-40W400 which we have at the moment. The colours and depth are great, the sound isn't bad at all, and it's a really nice looking TV too.

It might just be down to opinion, but Sony are more expensive, and I can see why.

Steven

Giga Poster
Thanks Hix but Erol IS right if your willing to spend £1000's of pounds on an upmarket T.V. from some where like bang and whatever or another company like that. We have had our fair share of Normal def T.V.s and by far the best was Sony in the cheap end of the market though be it, being the more expensive end. Going round other friends houses to see different H.D. T.V.s before we buy Sony was the best by far.

Don't take it wrong Erol but that's my view. cool) Also why have a Sony T.V. then Erol?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Oh my god, yes, it's all about the specific companies when you start spending £1500+ but for a 40", 1080p, Bravia TV I can't say I was disappointed. ;)

Ollie

CF Legend
But if I got both TVs and stood them side by side would I notice 'that' much difference in quality of picture? Is the extra £50 worth paying for something that may only be a 'teeny' bit better?
Also if I decided to get surround sound would both TVs have the right socket things for it?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
phones?

Actually Steven, Sony TV's are a pile of w@nk. You're paying for the success of their PS1/2/3... I don't rate their TV's and I have one.
Hahaha, I assumed without reading.

What a goon.

Ollie

CF Legend
I think I'm edging more towards the Toshiba now. It just seems to do more than the Samsung (even though it seems like a better brand). The Samsung page doesn't really give that much information.
Also the Samsung has dropped by £25 while the Toshiba has gone up by £5.
I'm probably not going to by it till tomorrow if I do so if anyone else has reason to believe I'm making the wrong choice then say so now.
Also I've looked into the Sony Bravias but it's still outside what I can afford even if I trade in my old TV.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I had a Samsung HDTV (my first one).

It broke after six months.

They couldn't fix it.

I replaced it with an LG.

Samsung keep sending me letters telling my warranty has expired and would I like to extend it - for a TV they took back off me and refused to fix!

I shall not be buying Samsung again :)

Ollie

CF Legend
^Stop talking about ****ing Sony will you. I've already said I can't afford one. Anyway I've decided to go with the Toshiba. It looks like a decent TV to cater for what I want it to and the money I save buying that I'll probably put towards getting a surround sound thing or something.

Once again with surround sound I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that's no more than £70 that will plug into my new TV and play surround sound for all my games and Blu Rays.
I saw this one on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-M3200-3 ... 400&sr=1-1
Is that any good?
Thanks for everyones help so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
For surround sound, you need something at least with 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Digital (or DTS) decoding and an SPDIF, or Digital Optical input.

That will let you plug an optical audio lead (I love the way that sounds like a contradiction) from the PS3 straight to the Surround Sound.

However, if you're not spending much on a surround sound system, you wont get a very good quality system. I'd recommend waiting until you have a £150 or so saved up for a dedicated decoder system (or AV receiver). It won't be brilliant for that price, but it won't be tinny or crunchy (to untrained ears) either.

Just remember, you need to go for a decoder and amp for surround sound, not just a set of speakers. The TV will only output through a simple stereo (two speaker/headphone) jack, or through a Dolby Digital stream over either coax or optical (most likely optical). Speakers don't know what to do with a Dolby digital stream, so you need a decoder/amp to do that bit, which then sends the correct sounds to the correct speakers. Quite often you'll see these listed as Home Cinema Systems - rather than the real terms :)

The problem here is that most are just DVD players with additional speakers on them. They will play their own DVD's in surround sound, but don't have the inputs for your TV or PS3 to play through them. Places like Amazon don't have enough details on the product descriptions to help you out here.

You're getting into complex territory here now. If you're already feeling lost - then you need to go and talk to people. Either sign up to the AV forums and look round there for advice, or go to the local audio shops and get an idea of what there is out there you can buy. The problem here is that places like Currys and Comet will fleece you - and often the staff don't know a great deal either.

I've just had a quick look at a few places, and I can't find anything I could recommend to you Ollie. They are either too expensive, or I can't find enough details to be able to recommend them to you.

Just remember:

1. Digital Optical Input/SPDIF In
2. Total RMS is a con. If it's 15Watt Total RMS (which in itself is a wrong term) - that means each speaker will output about 3Watts - which is nothing and will crackle and spit at loud volume. I wouldn't go for anything less than 10 or 15 watt PER SPEAKER in a bedroom situation (for you who is used to just a TV speaker).

Having a PS3 hooked up to a pretty cheap Dolby Surround amp myself, it's brilliant. Games really come alive when you can hear cars coming from behind, or a shot over your left shoulder. Likewise, films should always be listened to in surround sound :)

Sorry I can't really help a great deal more - it's a very complicated area for the uninitiated...

Pierre

Strata Poster
I have my PS3 hooked up to a Samsung HT-TZ215. Its a home cinema system so plays DVD's (also plays AVI files without encoding to DVD too which is handy!) and has the radio built in too. If you get the right auxillary cable you can hook it up to your PC too. It also hooks up to my Sky+HD box but obviously with only the one optical out it does get frustrating at switching leads I only switch leads if I'm watching a movie on Sky.

You can get it around £150 in electrical stores nowadays, or £110 on ebay (if you trust ebay!)

It really is excellent and brings a whole new dimension to the games and movies you play and watch!

I wouldn't recommend spending £70 on some, save up and get something of better quality for all the reasons Phil said!

If you go for the Toshiba telly but the extra money you wouldhave spent on the Samsung towards the sound system!

Ollie

CF Legend
Ok thanks. What do the numbers mean. Like you have 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound etc is it the number or speakers or something?
Can't you use a HDMI cable to plug surround sounds into TVs now as well?
That one you linked to looks quite good A-Kid. Although another thing is I have no idea where to position all my speakers if I get one as my rooms layed out quite awkwardly.

marc

CF Legend
You should look for a system that supports optical, I have my PS3 linked to my home cinema system via optical and the sound is simply stunning.

Sound out of a TV is not really 5.1 unless they come with 5.1 speakers, and I dont think any do.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The numbers are the easy part.

The first number 2/5/7 are the number of smaller speakers you put around you. The second number is the number of bass/subwoofers.

So 5.1 is a central speaker (generally used for speech), front left, front right, rear left and read right. Then you will have a big old box which is the sub. So six speakers in total.

HDMI carries Dolby Digital signals. However, you still need something that can decode and output that digital signal. Your TV probably can (mine can), but how does your TV then get that 5.1 or 7.1 out to your speakers? It's very unlikely the TV will have 6 or 8 speaker connectors on the back.

Mine does have SPDIF/Optical digital out, and simple dual channel stereo out (which will carry a Dolby Pro Logic II signal converted from the Dolby Digital). However, all that means is that I can connect my receiver to my TV and get surround sound. Or I can connect the PS3 directly. It's better to take the TV out of the equation in all honesty.

The speaker set A-Kid listed doesn't have a decoder in it. A-Kid's PC is doing the decoding and outputting the correct sounds to the correct speakers. I don't think it's true 7.1 either, unless A-Kid has four outputs on the back of his sound card.

So if you plugged this into your TV, you'd get stereo sound, just broadcast around the 8 speakers. The advantage of using true surround (with Dolby Digital or DTS) is that it place precise sounds in precise speakers to create an true sound environment. If there's a guy over your left shoulder shooting at you, that is exactly where the sound comes from (and believe me, it DOES help when playing games).

I can see me doing the hard work for you now.
I'm going to assume you're going for the cheaper Toshiba?
Here are the connections:
Connections
Analogue Audio Input: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Composite Video: Yes
DVB Common Interface: Yes
HDMI: 4
Headphone: Yes
PC input: Yes
RGB (via Scart): 1
SCART: 2
S-video: Yes
USB: Yes

From that, I'd say the only sound output from it is from the headphone socket. So you will never get anything beyond Dolby Pro Logic from it. Dolby Pro Logic is a way of using a stereo input to create a pseudo surround sound. It kind of works, but isn't as precise as Dolby Digital.

The TV IS Dolby Digital compatible. So it will take a DD input from the PS3, but it can only output in stereo (2.1) from the TV itself.

So you must have a separate Dolby Digital receiver if you have this TV. There is absolutely no way around this - if you want surround sound, you're going to have to buy a surround sound receiver and speakers.

Remember, the receive has to have an input for an SPDIF/Optical connection from the PS3.

Don't get mixed up with AV Receivers either - the more expensive ones let you plug in both Audio and Video (A for Audio, V for Video). You only need this is you have a lot of video inputs as well as audio inputs, but a lack of connections on your TV.

Go and talk to some experts before you buy!!!

AeRo

Hyper Poster
5.1 and 7.1 refers to the number of speakers.

5.1 is 2 front, 1 centre, 2 rear and a Subwoofer (the .1 bit)

7.1 is 2 front, one centre, 2 side, 2 rear and a Subwoofer.

In reality 5.1 is great, and all I actually use. beware though, as furie says, many shops are selling 2.1 systems which are really not what you want. They are simply stereos with a base unit.

Hmmm. I may be able to help here.

I have recently upgraded my Home Cinema Amp (AV) and am looking to sell it on Ebay.

It is a Denon 3802 which is a pretty fine piece of kit. It has 7 x 110watt amplifiers inside which will be enough to blow your whole street up!

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/de ... 59278.html

It has 3 optical inputs, and more overall connectors than you can count, even with your socks off!

Be warned though it is a beast and weighs in at a hefty 16.5 kg.

If you chose to go down this route, you would need 5 speakers and a sub woofer (you could use cheapish ones and replace them later). You would also need some cabling, but I might be able to chuck at least some of that in for you too.

If you are interested, or want more info, we can chat through MSN :p

[/end of shameless plug]

Edit: furie did a much better explanation than me :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^Ok. Thanks for all your help you two. As you can tell technology stats and things like this isn't my strong point lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
AeRo is quite right :)

It's well worth learning all about it. I'm afraid I can't recommend AeRo's system to you Ollie - it's not THX certified ;) :p

Seriously, I couldn't because the shear number of connections, buttons and settings would make your head explode. You need something a little simpler for your starter system.

It's frustrating, because there used to be a 5.1 surround system sold specifically for the PS2 (it had the same DD/DTS and optical stuff as the PS3). It was easy, because you bought it, plugged it in and it worked.

However, they don't seem to sell anything that simple anymore.

My Surround System keeps showing signs of giving up the ghost (it's about 5 years old now) so I have looked at a replacement system. I have seen decently priced, perfect systems in places like Currys, Tesco and Makro (just taken a look when passing).

The thing is, I know what I'm looking for - so I can make decisions based on the thing matching my criteria. If it has a DVD player too, that's okay, as long as it also has the correct input. I can look at the back of the device and see!

However, searching online, you can't find the cheaper systems as nobody has details of the connections - you literally have to pick up the physical unit and look at the back - or ask somebody who hopefully knows what they're on about (maybe 1 in 10 staff members on an electronics desk, even at Currys or PC World).

So, I can't recommend anything Ollie - other than a decent dedicated system like the one AeRo has - as it's the only way to guarantee. However, those systems are a bit too big, too complicated and overpowering for a simple home bedroom setup. Why have a system that can pump up to 11 when you are only allowed to play it at 0.25?

Looking and the only simple one I can find is this:
Clicky

Pricey, but nice :)