What's new

Which coaster should get the "Iron Horse" treatment next

TJH

Roller Poster
After their highly acclaimed New Texas Giant and their brand new Iron Rattler. Which old woodie do you think RMC should apply their patented treatment to?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Mean Streak would turn out to be a great RMC hybrid, since there's plenty of areas for over banked turns and such. Besides the roughness, the ride is kind of boring, which is why it needs to be improved.

Although this would be very unlikely to happen because CP already has two steel hybrids (Gemini, Mine Ride)

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^ Or they could get it and become the parks with the most hybrid coasters in the world. Sounds like something they might do.

BBH

Giga Poster
From the looks of it, Mean Streak and Iron Horse on an island go together like Nutella and bananas on crepes.

Snoo

The Legend
Martyn B said:
So what are they actually called then? I thought it was just RMC, what's Iron Horse?

It is. RMC is the company.. Iron Horse and Topper track are their two designs.

Btw.. agreed with MS

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Lots could use the topper track but Iron Horse should be saved for only those in really desperate need.
Mean Streak is the obvious.

It would've been SoB but they tore it down. They could've put a barrel roll in there and make it invert yet again too : P

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Any of the remaining Dinn Corp. and RCCA wooden coasters, which have been a primary target for RMC treatment (Texas Giant, Rattler, etc.). Many of these roller coasters have already been removed for better, replacement roller coasters, such as Hercules for Hydra or Psyclone for Terminator.

Many of these wooden coasters simply did not age well, which explains their short-life spans.

I will say however, Mean Streak was running pretty well this past season after a longer-than-normal rehab. If you rode in the middle, you might even say it was smooth!

Hutch

Strata Poster
^ Yeah, I remember Mean Streak being a bit smooth and not that exciting when I rode in the middle. RMC could make a much more enjoyable and fun ride.

Snoo

The Legend
Mean Streak without trims is actually a pretty good coaster. Much like Beast at night, the ride simply transforms.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ For realz! It is why Mean Streak wouldn't be high on my Iron Horse list, as it is still alright. There are definitely far worse roller coasters in the world.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
It was not very rough at all, even near smooth, but it was just boring.
Mean Streak may not need the RMC for smoothness but it could be so much better if it was faster, had more AT, the 90 degree turns and etc
It's slow and dull :(

Snoo

The Legend
Speed actually makes it smoother and makes the elements much better. When I first rode it like that, I was surprised as well. You really have to experience it to believe it.

It really screams back to the days in the early 90s when it WAS a good coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
FWIW, Mean Streak goes 65 mph, only 5 mph slower than the current wooden coaster speed record, El Toro. (70 mph) :wink:

It is an amazing opportunity if you are able to ride it without the trim brakes. In my case, we lucked out on a very cold, wet day, when trims were removed for both Mean Streak and Magnum.

Snoo

The Legend
I've been going since around 2004 religiously and its only happened a few times, once on a warm night which made it that much better. Even with a slight tug, it hauls ass around the course.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
And I have only had one ride, during the last weekend of Halloweekends this last season. It was a goofy day - they were running MF in a downpour as well.

Xpress

Strata Poster
GhostRider? It's a fantastic ride, moreso at night, but I'd think a topper track would make it just infinitesimally better.