What's new

Which Coaster "Kickstarted" Your Interest?

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Granted it was because of one, which coaster gave you the final "push" into becoming an enthusiast?

For me it was Furius Baco at PortAventura.
Before my ride, I'd of course been slightly interested in theme parks and roller coasters, but the awesome feeling and kick Furius Baco gave me is still what I blame to have sparked my interest.

So what about you?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
It was one of the Florida coasters, Space Mountian most likely. After going to Florida for the third time in 2010 I was at an age where I became really interested in the coasters, soon after I found CF.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Really couldn't say. I've always loved fairs and coasters. The rides, the atmosphere, the thrill, the excitement.

Probably Water Chute/Vikingar at Blackpool, or the Water CHute at Rhyl as they were the first coasters I went on repeatedly when I was very young. Corkscrew at Alton too maybe? I don't know, I really don't as I've always - multiple times a year - gone to fair grounds and parks since I was really young.

I think I've always been "an enthusiast", there just wasn't an outlet or place for me to demonstrate it until I found CF and realised there were others with a keen interest too.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
It wasn't really any particular coaster that sparked my interest. For me, it was back in 1994 during my first visit to Alton Towers as a kid. I was mesmerised by the cool twisty stuff all over the place and fell in love with the atmosphere. I came home that night just drawing everything from memory and comparing it to the map. :D

nadroJ

CF Legend
Mine wasn't a coaster per se, it was more based around RCT and theme parks in general. Probably something at Disney World like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster though.

therick311

Mega Poster
Millennium Force

It wasn't riding it that got me into this hobby. It was wanting to ride it. I grew up going to SFSTL pretty much every summer. I already loved riding coasters. But, I never really took it any farther than my home park. When I found out about Cedar Point, and specifically Millennium Force, I knew I had to make the trip. Suddenly, I was aware of the larger theme park world outside of my home park, and I was hooked!

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Shambhala. I found this site after looking for more information and it was from then that I really became interested in coasters.

Hutch

Strata Poster
It was originally RCT that got me into theme parks and coasters. As for the certain ride? Not too sure. Maybe Hulk, but I didn't become a real enthusiast until later.

Snoo

The Legend
Millennium Force in 2000.

I had been to CP/GL but had never been fond of coasters. I rode MF that day and it just exploded for me.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Which Coaster "Kickstarted" Your Interest?

Big Dipper at Blackpool.

When I was 6 that coaster looked huge.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I rode Xcelerator, and although I had always loved them, I was terrified of them. after Xcelerator it all changed. Shortly after I rode X and then I went crazy. So those two were a one two punch that got me to where I am now.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I've start taking interest in roller coasters when I discovered rcdb. But then it was just about looking the pictures and knowing about some of the world's biggest parks and roller coasters.
The 'thing' that made me a 'true enthusiast' wasn't a sole coaster, but actually a whole park (or maybe even a whole week's trip). After visiting SFMM, I joined CoasterForce, started to learn some goony stuff that don't really benefit me in my everyday life, etc.

So, SFMM, and if I have to choose a specific coaster, I'd say X2.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I don't think it was an actual coaster for me. ATTACKHAMMER took me to Alton Towers for his birthday back in 2011 and it's sort of spiralled onwards from there...to him and his family taking me on their family holiday to Florida for a month this year XD

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As cheesy as it sounds, CoasterForce kicked of my interest in theme parks. 10 years ago (yikes!). I always enjoyed theme parks but after stumbling across CF, I started to visit parks on a frequent basis and met some fab people along the way.

If I was to name a single coaster, it would be Nemesis Inferno. It was the first coaster construction I followed and I got to ride it many, many times in 2004-06 when I spent virtually every weekend of the season at Thorpe Park. Before I became a proper goon, a good coaster for me was something that thrilled me from start to end plus it had the novelty of "dangling feet", something which was sort of new to me.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It was CoasterForce that kicked off my interest in traveling to parks to ride coasters. I always rode them when I was a kid on up into adulthood, but never went further than my local fair or amusement park to ride one before joining CF.

lauren

Roller Poster
Hm well for me it was probably a combination of a few things. When I was younger I got the RCT games in a cereal box and I loved playing/designing coasters. I also went to my home park, Canada's Wonderland often as a kid because we had season's passes (I also had many trips to Florida where I could visit disneyworld/Universal/IOA/BGT).

My first 'real' coaster was scorpion as BGT, and I was really young and barely made it on because of the height requirement. After that I went on all the rides I could to prove I was brave enough to get on and do it, and eventually I learned to really enjoy roller coasters. In terms of getting on CoasterForce, i've been reading here for a while before I joined, and it was a good outlet to learn about new rides/just things going on in the coaster world.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
I really don't think there was one specific coaster that made me an enthusiast. I've always loved coasters, from the first time I rode Mad Mouse at Quassy when I was 3 or 4. Scorpion at BGT was the first "big" coaster I rode, and the first with an inversion. I think that's when I really got interested in coasters. I'd spend hours on the websites for Six Flags and other parks watching videos, reading statistics, and dreaming of going there. I found CF several years later thanks to a lucky Google search. I think I was always interested, but you could say that Scorpion really opened up the world of coasters for me.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I started when I first heard off and saw Kingda Ka on TV when it first opened in 2005. Curiosity hit me and researched more on how roller coasters work. I have been fascinated ever since. 10 years gooning, 2005-2014

VF15

Roller Poster
My first big roller coasters were Dragon Challenge (both sides) at IOA, and I really enjoyed them, but it was probably either Manta or Kraken at SeaWorld Orlando that really started my coaster obsession.