What's new

Where is the "northern line"?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
QI's Meaning of Liff page lists Milton Keynes to mean 'a gathering of poetry fanatics'.
I was hoping for something a bit more derogatory!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, it's should really be "an area of bacteria that stubbornly refuses almost all cleaning agents"

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Too much abuse of Milton Keynes here. I don't see why, I mean, it's not as if we get stabbing or shootings on a regular basis...

Weirdly about a third of the population of MK I'd say are middle-class, over a third working class and the remainder are the underclass. So around 2 scum for every good ol' chap. That's a good statistic for a town that classifies itself as a city.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
It's designed to perfection, traffic rarely exists, the main roads are away from the housing reducing noise levels and people getting run over (as well as reducing pollution leading to asthma), it's easy to pass through (even with the roundabouts) etc etc.

...although I do admit, if you don't know the area much everything does look the same...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
The pretty Milton Keynes village - typical quintessential English:
url

The Milton Keynes American-style grid system, build it all in one go approach (designed by Melvin Webber)
url

It's just all a bit too harsh on the eye for me.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I'd firstly like to point out that both images are VERY old - Milton Keynes is like a PC, it develops so fast that in 6 months it's much bigger and 'better' that the old images are already outdated. However, I see your points.

I guess it's a matter of personal judgement. Some people like classy, Gothic style buildings and others like modern, airy buildings - both are right with their opinions.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Milton Keynes is neither. It's just a massive grid style industrial mess. Sure it changes, but not that much!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I live in both Coventry (West Midlands) and Leicester (East Midlands) and I wouldn't consider Leicester to be the North.

I'd say Sheffield would be the start of the north. That sort of area.

Though, when I lived in Somerset, they all thought Coventry was further up the country, nearer Manchester, so yeah.

The further south you live, the closer you think the North starts, and vice versa, I'd say.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
^Milton Keynes is neither. It's just a massive grid style industrial mess. Sure it changes, but not that much!

When you have to update your sat-nav at least once a month to recognise new addresses and when Milton Keynes gets a new map made every year (as opposed to every few years for other tows and cities) you really do realise it's a massively developing town :p

But enough about MK. It's not up Norrrrf.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've been thinking about this in terms of accents.

Midlands accents continue up until around Stoke on Trent. Northern accents are well developed as you hit Chester. If we take the area in between those as the point where The North starts, it gives you Crewe.

So there you have it, once you hit Crewe you are officially in The North. Might as well lock the topic now.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
I would say Rotherham / Sheffield is NORTH. Between there and Bedford is Midlands, and anything south of Bedford is SOUTH

<1700'th post hehe>

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
I've been thinking about this in terms of accents.

Midlands accents continue up until around Stoke on Trent. Northern accents are well developed as you hit Chester. If we take the area in between those as the point where The North starts, it gives you Crewe.

So there you have it, once you hit Crewe you are officially in The North. Might as well lock the topic now.

Sadly, the Stafford accent doesn't really exist as a Midlands accent (or along the line of Shrewsbury, Leek, Burton-on-Trent, etc; and Stokie is just a copy of Scouse - so the entire theory falls down. Time to unlock :p