What's new

Whats this effect called?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
In this video you theres an effect and I want to know what it is as it's been bugging me for ages.

Go 3 minutes into the video, where you see that person pushing through the 'ceiling'.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqgkh00vqqQ&fmt=18[/youtube]

What is that effect called?
What material is it?
And if anyone could share any more on it, that would be great!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I could have told you that...

But I'm looking for the name of THAT effect and most commonly used materials that are durable enough to last for years and wont sag. I've come across silicone and lyrcra...

Maybe if Ollie or Lofty could step in as this is a huge effect in the halloween/haunt industry.

neo

Mega Poster
I don’t think the effect actually has a name, or at least I haven’t come across it. The earliest known example I’ve seen of this was in Wes Cravens “A Nightmare On Elm Street”. In which they used spandex for the effect, which seems to be the most common material used. Indeed some haunt shops sell the stuff, just for this effect:

http://www.hauntedprops.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=932

I don’t think anyone’s actually coined a term for it yet though.

Ollie

CF Legend
I know. I just wanted to use the link.
I got in touch with Jason Karl who runs the AtmosFEAR scare attractions to ask for you and he said it doesn't have a set name for the effect so you can call it whatever you want to. :)
I also asked Lofty to ask him as well as he was filming a trailer with him last Sunday for the new Scare Kingdom Scream Park.

Ollie

CF Legend
Sent it.

I'm trying to get as many contacts as I can as that's how you get far in the media industry. I'm also looking into possibly going into the Scare Attraction industry myself when I'm older but need to find out more about all the other stuff other than just designing and making attractions (don't know where to find that stuff out though lol).

Why did you want to know what the effect was called anyway?