What's new

What's next for RMC?

andrus

Giga Poster
Re: What's next for RMC? New Concept Coaster (page 4)

^Jerry, did they tell you during the tour why they changed the 2 row per train design to 3? If there's any practical reason behind the decision? :)

It's an odd choice since more and more manufacturers are going for less rows per car to increase the train manouverability and/or make the ride smoother. The only thing I can imagine for such a decision is cheaper construction since you would need fewer wheel bogies per passenger. But I'm sure RMC/Coaster-Labs has it's reasons :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

When I was there they still hadn't committed to this design, so we didn't discuss specifics about any of the various designs. And who said that they changed it from a 2 row per train to a 3 row per train? I don't remember a 2 row per train design, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Ben

CF Legend

^He means from their current train design of two rows to this one of three.

andrus

Giga Poster

^Exactly Ben :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Instead of just changing the wheel bogies from outward facing (wood) to inward facing (steel), they also decided to change from 2 to 3 rows per car. Wonder why?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Sorry, my mistake. I was just thinking of the new concept as they will be a completely different type of coaster, so the current trains didn't even occur to me.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I also just noticed that they have headrests. Hopefully they're comfortable, because nobody likes headrests.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
I also just noticed that they have headrests. Hopefully they're comfortable, because nobody likes headrests.
What? This is honestly the first time I've heard someone say that. :|

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Headrests are a good addition because they allow for comfortable implementation of powerful launches because they do what their name suggests- rest your head and stop it from bending back. Its possible Dollywood's Lightning Rod will have them.

Hutch

Strata Poster

People are saying how it will be like the RMC version of Morgans or B&M hypers…. honestly I think this will be a lot more like Intamin megas. This new track sounds like it could be used similarly to Intamin's newer track (stronger track with less supports), so maybe we'll see some ridiculous RMC mega coasters.

As for the shin guards, I forgot they existed when leaving the station. Headrests shouldn't be a problem either.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Headrests I don't have a problem with but shin guards can **** off. I just end up whacking my legs on them as I go round and getting 'cage rage'. Although this mainly applies to the wingriders

steel

Mega Poster

Yeah that's the only problem I had with Outlaw Run. It's magnificent and then you hit the brakes and you can't move your legs until they dispatch the next train.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Shin guards are acceptable for me. I'd much rather take those than Intamin lap bars, which switch to tourniquets mid ride, just in case you need to amputate your leg in the brake run.

Snoo

The Legend

Tomatron said:
^They really don't make any difference. You barely notice them.

Just to follow up as it's still kinda being talked about, I agree. It is a very minor annoyance of an otherwise outstanding train design. They only made a difference when you ride a coaster 10-15 times in a row. I had that enormous pleasure when Outlaw Run was opened. While I do wish they would get rid of them, they won't make me not ride the rides by any means.

Plus I have big ass legs.. it never helps when you have big ass legs. :D

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^At least they have cutouts for legs now. If I'm correct, they had a solid slate of a shin guard?

BBH

Giga Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
^At least they have cutouts for legs now. If I'm correct, they had a solid slate of a shin guard?
Yep, Outlaw Run's is/was a straight shin bar that was extremely uncomfortable. At least the newer ones wrap around your legs.

Martyn B

CF Legend

The pics with the trains on just confirm that this really isn't worthy of being called a single rail track. As Ben said, it's just a filled-in B&M.

When they say "industry changing", are they referring to creating the f-ugliest coasters?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^They're referring how it can do as much as a normal RMC with less supports needed. It can self support itself(mostly)

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

mouse

Giga Poster

So can more unique elements be created due to not needing a support structure built around them?
Not really sure what to think about this until I see an example of a layout...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

mouse said:
Not really sure what to think about this until I see an example of a layout...
Everyone can agree on that. Hopefully this year's IAAPA will bring some renderings forward.

My biggest question will be cost. How will this compare to a "traditional" steel, such as B&M, Mack, or Intamin?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^ From what I hear, it'll be cheaper, as it's going to reduce the cost of supports and footers.