Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Village

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Hamlet or other remote rural area

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I dunno, I think the boroughs are made up of smaller towns and can't really be considered towns in themselves.

I guess, though, that means I live in a town.

City%20of%20Windsor.gif

Colossus

Giga Poster
TP Rich said:
Actually, it's both. You can't have the word 'urban' without 'crap' unless the area happens to be Milton Keynes.

Have you ever been to Milton Keynes? The town center is nice and the general set up of the place is interesting along with some real nice architecture, but I can assure you It has some real dreadful areas, I know this because I lived there for a while. Its no different really to any other town or city, in the fact that it has nice areas and bad areas, its just people think of MK and they think of the town center, concrete and roundabouts, so the lower class areas are more hidden, but they are definitely there. Same as anywhere else.

Ben

CF Legend
Colossus The Power of 10 said:
Have you ever been to Milton Keynes? The town center is nice and the general set up of the place is interesting along with some real nice architecture

Have YOU ever been to Milton Keynes? Cause, what you just described... not Milton Keynes.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've built Lego towns with more charisma than Milton Keynes.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I live in greater London so its urban but not the city . It's ok location wise. Quite posh - lots of parks with deer and a big royal palace. Also the countrys second busiest shopping centre after oxford street!

But the people are foul. Londoners are really rude and its v snobby. Maybe I should buy a four by four to fit in!

I miss Kent where my family are. Although I come from a small town (with lots of chavs) Kent in general is v green with farms and chocolate box villages. People are much friendlier too. *sigh*

Gazza

Giga Poster
TP Rich said:
Joey said:
If you live somewhere such as Croydon, Bromley, Bexley or Enfield, I guess you could say you live in a town, personally I would. It's debatable, really.
My opinion on these matters is that you think of it like the patch of lights you see when flying over an urban area at night time. If you are in that patch, you are part of the city.

It's like, I've always found it weird how people say Anaheim is separate to LA, but I'd consider that to just be part of the whole LA urban area.

I live in a City BTW.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I live in the suburbs of Tampa, which is definitely a city.

Technically, I don't even live in the city limits, but close enough where it still counts.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
I live in an urban area with a population of somewhere around 175,000 so it's somewhere between a town and a city. For those wondering it's Santa Barbara, California.

thx

Mega Poster
I live in the suburbs (like 12min bikeride to centre) of a city with around 190'000 people (40'000 students).

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I don't really live in a Town or Village as such. Surrounded by small villages. But we are divided by a dual-carrageway to our nearest. Its proper Country here y'all.

To paint the picture;

Old people. Horse **** on single-track roads. Snobs with farms and stables. 1800/1900 Century buildings mostly. Massive sand pits excervations and landfills. Ring piece on a hill. South Downs. Trees, Fields and sheep. Lots of them. Its very green and pretty. The nearest Tesco is 7 miles away. People will say hello to you on the street, passing, unless your young. Everybody knows everybody. Chinnock's, Merlins or Fighter-jets pass over night sometimes. We even have our own runway that barely anyone knows about hidden into the downs.

No 'Urban' culture here. Well apart from the pikes stealing everything and police doing nothing, but yeah... we got used to that now :roll:

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Colossus The Power of 10 said:
TP Rich said:
Actually, it's both. You can't have the word 'urban' without 'crap' unless the area happens to be Milton Keynes.

Have you ever been to Milton Keynes? The town center is nice and the general set up of the place is interesting along with some real nice architecture, but I can assure you It has some real dreadful areas, I know this because I lived there for a while. Its no different really to any other town or city, in the fact that it has nice areas and bad areas, its just people think of MK and they think of the town center, concrete and roundabouts, so the lower class areas are more hidden, but they are definitely there. Same as anywhere else.

Yes, I have been to Milton Keynes many times, but only the city centre, which is easily the best in the country. There's everything you could need, and it's clean and has a great atmosphere. But I think all towns and cities have dodgy areas. (*cough* Park Wood *cough*) But yes, Milton Keynes City Centre is a fantastic place.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
TP Rich said:
Yes, I have been to Milton Keynes many times, but only the city centre, which is easily the best in the country. There's everything you could need, and it's clean and has a great atmosphere. But I think all towns and cities have dodgy areas. (*cough* Park Wood *cough*) But yes, Milton Keynes City Centre is a fantastic place.

How does it compare to my favourite City Centre of Newcastle-upon-Tyne? I love it there, really friendly place. Durham is gorgeous too - fantastic architecture, history, atmosphere, clean, tidy and just over all gorgeous. I must have a thing for Northern cities as I like Liverpool too, but too many scousers ;) Leeds is okay as well for visits. Chester is one of my favourite places in the world. Lively city centre and steeped in history, fantastic city. York is really nice too along similar lines, but I found the city centre to be a little cookie-cutter. Sheffield that I saw seemed fine, but I've not seen enough to make an opinion (a couple of houses and the uni night club)

Midlands is pretty rank though. Birmingham has its place (I've never really liked it, but it's a busy, thriving city which is good for shopping), Coventry is hideous and the less said about Stoke the better. Derby I've only been to a couple of times and it seems fine. Nottingham is pretty nasty though, but there are some nice places if you look hard enough. Lichfield is small, but the cathedral is stunning. Only ever been on the Wolverhampton ring road and to the cinema and Civic; great place for gigs, but I can't say much other than that.

Is Lincoln in the Midlands or East? It's fantastic to look at from a distance, looking down into the valley it sits in. It's a very pretty town with cobbled streets and the rather silly castle. The Bishop's palace is lush.

South West and Bath is beautiful. Really dull, but beautiful. I've not really been to anywhere else down that way. Truro for a short stay a long time ago but I can't remember anything of it.

Along the south I like Portsmouth, but it's a bit iffy in some areas. Brighton and Hove is a great area, incredibly lively and fun, but busy as hell. Winchester and Salisbury are similar to Chester/York. I love historical towns, but it's hard finding them that then have the shopping and evening atmosphere Chester seems to manage.

Where's the final city I've been to - Cambridge? Is that classed as South or East? Loved the place, really, really loved it. There was a brilliant vibe there (it was a warm summers day which probably helped a lot), friendly, atmospheric, just generally really excellent.

Oh, yeah, London :lol: I love London :)

I've been to Milton Keynes actually quite a lot. My sister lived there for a few years as did one of my best friends and I visited for long weekends and mid week a lot of times. It's the blandest, most soul-destroying place I've been to. It's just the epitome of "meh". There's no character to it at all (except for the outlying villages which are nice) and despite having some excellent "modern entertainment" complexes, there's just nothing to do with your time there except count the minutes until you leave. If you've got people there and stuff to entertain you/keep you rooted then fine - it's a place to live and home is more than buildings and food eateries. However, compared to the small number of cities I've sampled it rates very low. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be a city, but if it was, then it would be a rubbish one.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
TP Rich said:
I really hope I'll be living in a more rural area when I'm an adult - the urban lifestyle is just too noisy, busy, depressing and boring.

You live in Maidstone, that's hardly "urban". "Crap" would be a better way to describe that place.

Bol*ocks! I'm originally from Maidstone, and it's a huge sprawling mess. Endless concrete, rail networks and motorways.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I live in the biggest village in Wales (apparently), Rhosllanerchrugog, which is just outside the biggest town in North Wales, Wrexham.

Both are vile. Well, Wrexham is a lot better than it used to be, I have to admit, but that's not saying much. As I get older, I've got more appreciation for some of the stuff here. Saint Giles church is really impressive actually; I just never realised it as a kid because we were dragged there so much in primary school.

Rhos is a 15 minute bus ride to Llangollen (it's roughly in the middle of Llangollen and Wrexham, but forms part of Wrexham itself), which is a lovely little town actually, and about 10 minutes from the tallest, longest aquaduct in the UK.

There's not much else of note though, but at least it's close to Chester, Liverpool and Manchester which are all quite fab for different reasons.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
There's not much else of note though, but at least it's close to Chester, Liverpool and Manchester which are all quite fab for different reasons.

Though not as good as Milton Keynes, obviously ;)

It's quite odd considering your "home town" as you get older. You do start to see things that you realise make the place not quite as bad as you thought in your youth. Stafford is full of all kinds of interesting places and histories and things that people who grew up don't recognise. Of course, I didn't grow up here. So Widnes is the exception...

I can't find anything in the slightest bit good to say about Widnes. "It doesn't stink quite as much today as usual", "The mustard gas factory hasn't blown up" and "all the cooling towers at the power station are still erect" just don't seem to be real positives (and only one of them is true).

There's a Norman/medieval church, but the niceness of the grounds are detracted from by the mad tramps littering the grounds, though obviously that's only really on a Sunday that it happens.

Beyond that, there is absolutely nothing of value in the town I can think of. The museum of the chemical revolution - see pictures of people being melted alive as they work in the sulphur pits? It's just not quite the world's most picturesque and tourist friendly town.

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
How does it compare to my favourite City Centre of Newcastle-upon-Tyne? I love it there, really friendly place.

132572530628.jpg

You mean, incredibly boring and **** all happens there?