What's new

What Previs/Design software does the Industry use?

A

Anonymous

Just curious, does anyone know what software Coaster manufacturers use to design coasters with? In the past I've heard rumours they use stuff like No Limits but I'd imagine that in this day and age theres something out more sophisticated seeing how much design and visual work is done with a computer these days?

I've definately seen a making of documentary about Disney's Expedition Everest in which the ride is previsualised in 3D down to the details where power cables would run etc and I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right Direction?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm a n00b :oops:

Ollie

CF Legend
Most company's have their own software and simulation programs to build and show the rides to the parks.
There's hardly any that are commercially available. And out of Those NoLimits is the best.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys :) I've heard of AutoCad but never used it and NoLimits just seemed a little too commercial to help sell an idea, that said, I like the way how it's possible to import your own 3D models so I may give that a go

costar

Mega Poster
Designers do use No Limits. John Wardley knows Ole Lange (the No Limits creator) well and they are in communication over the sequel (NL2). But this is largely for conceptual design/ideas etc. Ride manufacturers will also need their own software, structural analysis software, finite element analysis software (for solid materials) and more sophisticated dynamic software (although I gather NL2 will be pretty good dynamically). AutoCAD is just for creating drawings. It won't do any "calculations" for you. Engineers of buildings, chemical plants, machinery etc. all use it for drawing, that's all.