What's new

What made you fall in love with coasters?

I fell in love with rollercoasters back when I was super young, when my mom took me to a small amusement park in Oregon (Oaks Park) Not big nor small. There were a couple rides and I tried to ride on them (this was back in 2012) and went on the same ones multiple times, soon riding myself.

Ever since recently I've delved more into the coaster industry, researching some new rides, etc.

It's fun being an enthusiast!

I got bored during the pandemic, and stumbled across coaster youtube. Since I had nothing better going on, I did a lot of research, then got credits once parks reopened.

Long long time ago.. Dragon khan! Like a rough prince charming he literally swiped me off my feet and thrashed me around like no one else did before.. It was love at first ride. Must say I wasn't faithful, actually turned into a coaster eater ever since.. A coaster slapper if you will (and please excuse my French).. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
the correct answer is rct but the fake correct answer is timberwolf at WOF. my first big boy

I had 2 chapters.

First time was as a young child, maybe 6 or 7, the one that stood out initially was Space Station Zero at Thorpe Park. I was terrified as had no idea what to expect and went on with my sister and grandad. Because we each needed an adult sitting with us a member of staff offered to ride with me, can't imagine you'd get that happening these days! From then on it was always the rides that incorporated theming elements that resonated the most.

Second time was as a father. Hadn't been to many theme parks for the previous 15 years but seeing the joy on my sons face on the Vampire at Chessington has created a revival of my obsession.

I had a rather rough start when I had a bad experience riding Space Mountain at Disneyworld as a kid. For the next 20 years I only rode a few coasters here and there, and mostly only if I was asked to accompany someone. In those days coasters (anything bigger than a boardwalk or fairground coaster) were scary and I white-knuckled my way thru them. But I somehow became deathly afraid of coasters with inversions, and I wouldn't even go to a park unless someone invited me. And then I avoided looping/inverted coasters at all costs. Well, one day when I was in my mid-20's, I did get an invitation. A family friend invited me and my mom to go with her and her family as guests at a company picnic at a nearby park (what is now Six Flags America).
I had no idea what sorts of coasters they had, but I planned on making a point to avoid them if I could. At that time they had one wooden coaster, which I reluctantly rode and was glad when we got off. There were two coasters with inversions, one of which I was glad to discover it was closed for the day. But the other one was running, and it was this one that I got dragged onto. I tried to get out of it but my riding companions for the day would not take no for an answer. It was that, or be forever branded as a chicken... I was scared half to death but I chose the coaster, figuring I'd only have to ride it once to prove myself and I could hopefully deal with a minute and a half of terror. Well, I rode it, and I thought for sure I was going to die right after the first drop. I was so glad when it ended, and glad that the park had no more coasters.
But a strange thing happened the next day - I had a strong desire to go back to that park and ride that coaster (and the other two) again. So I had a friend who liked coasters and we spent the rest of the summer into the fall revisiting that park and a couple of other area parks and rode as many coasters as I could. That was back in the mid 90's and I've been riding ever since, and have ridden over 275 coasters. So somehow I was a phobic who got turned into a fanatic...my mom still blames that friend for turning me into a coaster enthusiast!