What's new

What is it about B&M's Wing design?

jolash

Mega Poster
It's no mystery that B&Ms Wing Coaster design has been blooming in popularity over the last few seasons. But this seemingly new and innovative ride type is nothing new to the coaster industry.

We saw this first, many moons ago, at Six Flags Magic Mountain when X opened up. A few others popped up here and there over the years, but for the most part the Arrow/S&S design never really took off.

Then a few years back we saw Intamin attempt to reboot this idea, while opting for a design without the rotating seats, and slapping their hydraulic launch on it. To my knowledge, this was the first and last attempt by Intamin at this design.

And in 2011, B&M came to the party with yet another new attempt at a "wing coaster" with Raptor at Gardaland. Since then we now have 7 B&M Wing Coasters either operating or in production, nearly tripling the number of wing-style coasters in the world. And better yet, reviews for B&Ms creations all seem to be terrific!

So what is it? What is it about B&M's design that no one else was able to get right before? How come it took so long (X opened in 2002) to get it right?

TilenB

Strata Poster
Just a wild guess. It is really smooth (Furious Baco is said to be quite rough) and not as terribly expensive as S&S/Arrow one. Also it doesn't break down as often as the other two...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Actually, the design is extremely innovative. We were hearing about a new concept from B&M since like 2005. All those years, they were developing and iterating and we waited. The wait was worth it, because they engineered it correctly.

If you look at the Arrow/S&S design as well as Intamin's design, you'll notice that the portion of the chassis that holds the seats is a straight beam straight across. B&M's design, on the other hand, has a bend in the wing and that completely changes the game. The first thing the bend does is it brings the entire wing closer to the center of mass of each individual coach. This allows the train to negotiate more dynamically intense elements. The next important aspect about the wing bend is that each welded joint damps vibrations. Lastly, the alloy used to hold all the wheels together is different than the alloy used for the wings. Both alloys have different natural frequencies and ultimately dampens vibrations as well.

Another key factor in wing coasters' success is their unique layouts. Many of them are taking very unique elements and throwing them all together. Yes, we all have built a wing over dive in RCT but only wing coasters have them in the real world. All of the dive loops and immelmanns enter/exit on the wrong side of the half loop. Wing coasters are also the only modern coasters that have inline twists. Wing coasters offer a very unique ride experience, and that uniqueness usually translates to a large amount of fun.

Personally, I found both X-Flight and Gatekeeper to be EXTREMELY fun. They weren't insanely intense, but they really cannot be intense due to the train design. They're graceful and have perfect execution - they do their job very, very well.

HRRider

Roller Poster
One thing about Gatekeeper, it's probably the smoothest coaster i've ridden so far. Probably has alot to do with being a brand spanking new B&M, but it's exceptionally smooth. And the first drop is very unique as Antinos basically stated. Not crazy intense, but VERY well done. I enjoyed MF and TTD more by a hair, but GK felt like the bleeding edge ride that it is

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^Ew,

I do like the winged trains, the theming on most is excellent, but the restraints can come rather heavy and tight by the end of the ride.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Antinos said:
Actually, the design is extremely innovative. We were hearing about a new concept from B&M since like 2005. All those years, they were developing and iterating and we waited. The wait was worth it, because they engineered it correctly.

If you look at the Arrow/S&S design as well as Intamin's design, you'll notice that the portion of the chassis that holds the seats is a straight beam straight across. B&M's design, on the other hand, has a bend in the wing and that completely changes the game. The first thing the bend does is it brings the entire wing closer to the center of mass of each individual coach. This allows the train to negotiate more dynamically intense elements. The next important aspect about the wing bend is that each welded joint damps vibrations. Lastly, the alloy used to hold all the wheels together is different than the alloy used for the wings. Both alloys have different natural frequencies and ultimately dampens vibrations as well.

Another key factor in wing coasters' success is their unique layouts. Many of them are taking very unique elements and throwing them all together. Yes, we all have built a wing over dive in RCT but only wing coasters have them in the real world. All of the dive loops and immelmanns enter/exit on the wrong side of the half loop. Wing coasters are also the only modern coasters that have inline twists. Wing coasters offer a very unique ride experience, and that uniqueness usually translates to a large amount of fun.

Personally, I found both X-Flight and Gatekeeper to be EXTREMELY fun. They weren't insanely intense, but they really cannot be intense due to the train design. They're graceful and have perfect execution - they do their job very, very well.

That is a cracking post.

Being serious too (sarcasm is hard to decipher on here)

spicy

Giga Poster
Re: What is it about B&M's Wing design?

Just like to say you can't really compare an Arrow/S&S 4D coaster to a B&M Wing coaster. Two completely different coasters.

Therefore we are left to compare Intamins attempt (Baco) with the B&M versions. Of which there is only one winner.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
On a business level, I agree that B&M is the far superior choice, but on a consumer level, Intamin will win all the time. Baco is relentless and a lot of people underestimate it from its looks. All the B&M versions look so dominating, but they don't ride as you'd expect it to.

I suggest that you don't read my post, because I love Baco. However, you've reached this far, so you already have.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
On a business level, I agree that B&M is the far superior choice, but on a consumer level, Intamin will win all the time. Baco is relentless and a lot of people underestimate it from its looks. All the B&M versions look so dominating, but they don't ride as you'd expect it to.

I suggest that you don't read my post, because I love Baco. However, you've reached this far, so you already have.

I'd rather lose a limb than ride Baco again. it was AWFUL. One of the worst rides i've ever ridden.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^There's still a heartline above the track - it's simply the line in which the center of gravity follows along the track. If either side were to be favored regarding the heartline, the dynamics would change dramatically.

Rob

Mega Poster
Absolutely, perfectly summarized by Antinos. B&M just do wing rider right, mostly owing to the lowered seating position. Additionally, I'll add, the S&S/Arrow design is just bizarre. The number of people who look at that ride and say 'it'd be good if it went forwards', etc, it's just not really of big appeal to the public, from my experience anyway (Never ridden on so cannot comment on the ride).

Finally, some Intamin defense. The Intamin design is not flawed, in two senses. Firstly, the train design, of sticking a bar from the axles to hold up seats, whilst reducing maneuverability, and amplifying vibration, leads to much faster loading, and gives the ride a much more conventional station type layout making the design, essentially, more versatile, and, cheaper.

Second, the roughness is merely a result of minor wheel flats and occasional track roughness, but in the most part, wheel flats. As the only example we have is Furius Baco, I'd now go a long way to arguing, at lower speeds, the design would be significantly smoother. Alternatively, with frequent train rotation and wheel swapping, the design could excel at broadly any given speed.

From a business perspective, I'd argue Intamin have the most versatile design; it's nothing special in the sense it's broadly a bog-standard accelerator. It's not a type of it's own, it's just a train design. B&M, on the other hand, have invested heavily in a total re-design to accommodate the concept. It's not as, rough and ready, shall we say?

Now to the personal opinion; Furius Baco wipes the floor with The Swarm. B&M have made air mk2, just with even worse restraints, add to the mix that the trains are way too heavy and the ride experience is just, well, all wrong; it's not so great. I'd prefer The Swarm as a quality floorless. Intamin, on the other hand, offer a ride experience like nothing else. Launching, with nothing in front of you, above you, or below you, is incredible. Then whizzing past multiple near misses, a beautiful slow roll and skimming a lake, what's to argue with? It's fantastic, admittedly can feel like riding a washing machine in the wrong rows, but, that's just a negligible side effect; like the morning after the night before.

Youngster Joey said:
I'd rather lose a limb than ride Baco again.

Is this some new form of kick? Like asphyxiation?

Screaming Coasters said:

On every level, Errol knows the score. ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rob, agreed with everything you say in the first section of your post :)

Rob said:
Now to the personal opinion; Furius Baco wipes the floor with The Swarm. B&M have made air mk2, just with even worse restraints, add to the mix that the trains are way too heavy and the ride experience is just, well, all wrong; it's not so great. I'd prefer The Swarm as a quality floorless. Intamin, on the other hand, offer a ride experience like nothing else. Launching, with nothing in front of you, above you, or below you, is incredible. Then whizzing past multiple near misses, a beautiful slow roll and skimming a lake, what's to argue with? It's fantastic, admittedly can feel like riding a washing machine in the wrong rows, but, that's just a negligible side effect; like the morning after the night before.

The thing is, the near misses aren't really Intamin's coaster design doing the job. If you took Nemesis or Mamba out of their pits, they'd still be excellent rides on a car park. Would Baco be so good? I agree though that the launch is the "set up" on Baco. It's brilliant, and it gives the ride a fantastic start which - I'd argue - then elevates the rest of the ride above what it actually is.

The biggest contradiction and problem here is that Air is a consumer hit. So surely The Swarm should be too if it's just Air Mk 2? Yet while Air is loved by guests, The Swarm is treated as a huge turd.

See, Erol is right:
Screaming Coasters said:

I believe that most guests will love Baco, because it's so brutal and fast they think it's fantastic. In the same way they love Air because it's such a "unique" experience and "you feel like you're flying". Taking it one step further, Air looks very tame and offers a semi-tame ride. Again, Erol is right that The Swarm looks massively impressive and exciting, but delivers a more "Air experience".

Where the problem is (and it must be a problem as we've only seen the one Wing Rider until Skyrush which is a semi-evolution), is that it's not a sell-able ride. If you took the GM of Cedar Fair or Six Flags to Port Aventura as an Intamin salesman:
"Here's our Wing Rider, look at how happy the riders are"
"Half look pretty dazed and are staggering like they've just gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson"
"But the other half look happy"
"True, okay, let's ride"
"Not a problem, we just need to wait until 3:00 p.m. As long as it's hit 28 degrees by then".
"Why?"
"It's just the perfect time of day I find, don't you? Shall we go and find some refreshments and beta blockers while we wait?"
[returns at 3:30]
"Hop on, I've saved the front left inside seat for you"
"I want to sit row four, outside right"
"That's reserved"
"Who for?"
"Erm, my invisible friend I've had since childhood. It's embarrassing, but..."
"The ride's a turd in any seat but the one you're offering andf at any other time of day or temperature isn't it?"
"Yes :( "
"Thanks"
[picks up phone]
"Claude? Hi, we're after a coaster that works well on every seat, every day it's open and doesn't make riders feel like **** "

Rob said:
Youngster Joey said:
I'd rather lose a limb than ride Baco again.

Is this some new form of kick? Like asphyxiation?

Not really, I'm with him 100% :)

But yeah, I think that generally Erol isn't wrong, but Antinos is most right :lol:

Good discussion so far :)

Rob

Mega Poster
The debate that will blight coaster force until the end of time....

I agree in principle with what you're saying, the only point I will add here is this whole temperature and time of day thing is rubbish. Admittedly it rides better in certain temperatures, but as do all rides, the roughness/smoothness comes down to wheels. This is based on numerous re-rides, when you get the same train, same side, same day, if you had a good ride earlier, you'll get a good ride later. It might be marginally smoother/faster/slicker etc, as all rides tend to perform better in warmer conditions, but on the whole, it's down to those wheels.

Now, were Intamin to take mr/mrs managing director of any theme park to ride baco, in an attempt to sell it, I believe they would simply provide a set of new wheels. All is good provided they don't subtly swap trains...

As for the terrain elements comparison, my comparison was a direct Swarm vs. Baco, as they're the only two I've ridden. So, terrain counts :p (In all seriousness, I totally understand your point though and that's why that comment fell nicely into the 'now for my opinion' bit).

But yes, it's just a crying shame Thorpe didn't build bigger with The Swarm, I think with more height and a more developed layout (and loose the horrific loop/drop/thing), it'd be a fantastic ride. I think it's even more of a shame, that they took the ride near enough the right height for a decent B&M multi-looper, and then didn't do it. Arguably the one type of coaster Britain is truly missing. But, I feel that's part of the UK B&M package. If you look at the UK's B&M offerings, none of them, bar Oblivion, have the height, or length, of the 'proper' B&M's you see the world over, they're all a smaller, (yes more unique, but in my opinion, far worse for it), tighter and more compact versions of what they really should be.

So to bring it back on topic, isn't The Swarm dire?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The Wing Design is good, but it will never be something to ever reach the heady heights of the old style intense B&Ms that many clamour for...

It's very much an experience ride, and that's why I think Raptor is superior to Swarm, because it just does the landscaping and layout a lot better...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I'm just going on the reasons I've been given why the rides I (and everyone else who has had a dreadful ride on Baco) experienced on Baco were considerably less than satisfactory - or complete and utter bollocks to be less polite. I'm not sure it's down to the wheels to be honest, or if it is, then what the hell are PA doing running it with shot wheels on both trains all the time?

I know that Erol loved it (or at least enjoyed it) when we all hated it, on the same train. That definitely suggests it's tolerance to the vibrations and whether the ride is actually doing "stuff for you", rather than actually anything physical. Much like the Balder argument where the same people on the same train in seats next to each other come off with completely different opinions of the ride (one meh, one OMFG).

The point remains that we've never seen another Wing Rider in the same category as Baco. Yet there's no shortage of companies buying large scale installations of wing rider coasters from B&M. They must have looked at Intamin as a potential provider, but something is stopping the sales of the Intamin version. We don't know what that reason is, but I think that if you have a ride which is incredibly hit and miss on quality, then it will affect the sales of that model. Though Gerstlauer seem fine ;)

As for The Swarm, I love it :) I love the roll-over drop at the start and I find the ride really good fun. It's not a thrill ride, but it's a coaster I could ride and re-ride for hours and just really enjoy. It ticks my boxes for having fun. So I think The Swarm is a great ride, but I can appreciate that it won't do things for everyone :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Amusement parks are always look for the next "new" experience, and B&M Wing Coasters are that experience at present.

We really aren't seeing that anything new with the B&M Wing Coaster design - it is a new riding position that offers a unique layout and a new thrill. That same description could be used for B&M's Inverted, Stand-Up, Floorless, and Flying coasters when they were all in their heyday as well.

It should also be no surprise on why B&M has capitalized on the wing coaster market - they have historically specialized in perfecting train design and riding position.

The B&M Wing Coaster design is not an individual incident, but a continuation of a business plan that dates 23 years back to B&M cracking the stand-up market with Iron Wolf.

Rob

Mega Poster
furie said:
Yeah, I'm just going on the reasons I've been given why the rides I (and everyone else who has had a dreadful ride on Baco) experienced on Baco were considerably less than satisfactory - or complete and utter bollocks to be less polite. I'm not sure it's down to the wheels to be honest, or if it is, then what the hell are PA doing running it with shot wheels on both trains all the time?

I can almost guarantee it is the wheels. It's not a, 'someone told me' fact, it's just through thought experiment, but follow me through on this.

Firstly, I'll just add in here I've ridden Baco in excess of 50 times (3x 1 week holidays, riding between 2 and 10 times a day). So, in terms of ride experience, I'm probably one of the people on this website, perhaps excluding a few Spanish members, to have ridden it most. The ride experience varies massively between seats on the very same train. You can ride the front butter smooth, row 2 a little rough, row 3 butter smooth, row 6 horrendous, to the extent, I could tell which train I was on purely from the front left hand ride experience. One train (can't remember which one specifically), was silky on the front left, the other, slightly vibrating. I rode the 'smooth' train on row 6, right hand side, and almost had my ribs broken. That ride was the most painful and bruising ride of my life, on any coaster, anywhere. Yet I went back round, to the front row, for a chill out, because I knew that train was smooth front row.

Now, a little process of elimination. Firstly, we have to rule out the track work for this roughness, because such inconsistencies cannot be down to the rails themselves. The rider element is constant, as my personal boundaries for pain do not vary between extreme and super wussy depending on where I sit on the coaster. This leaves only the train. Now, to the best of my knowledge, the trains have no suspension/damping for the wings, so if the wheels were to have varying degrees of flat sections (ie: wheels flats), this would be felt directly by the rider, as it can, in fact, on many coasters (certain rows of The Swarm have done it, exactly the same feeling as Baco, just no where near as bad).

Next, if we consider the motion of the vibrations, it really is an up-down. Not a forwards backwards, or a woody-esque side to side, it's a distinct, frequent and repetitive up-down motion. In fact, probably at a rate of roughly, 2100rpm (assuming wheel circumference to be roughly 1m).

Now, I can imagine the question now being, well how come this is only a problem on Baco? Well, it's again, down to the trains. If you sit on a traditional coaster, as you're directly above the track, any flat sections on the wheel will firstly be significantly dampened by the weight of the train. Remembering a coaster wheels tyre is made from a similar compound to that used on fold-up scooters, you can understand why the wheel would, by pure design, suppress some bounce. Secondly, by being seated within the wheel base, any bounce is actually suppressed towards the centre of the axle by pure nature of the design.

In the case of Baco, the opposite can be said. The wheel base is in the centre of the carriage, so firstly, the train is naturally trying to pivot about the centre of the track anyway. The centre of gravity also lies roughly in line with the riders lower back/seat base, so any vibration comes from bum upwards. This, linked with the fact the trains are imbalanced by design, means any form of up down motion from the wheel area would hit riders in the spine base, and by nature of the design, amplify any vibration towards the wing tips (thus the reason outside seats are always slightly worse than inside ones).

A simple experiment to model this at home would be as follows. Take a 30cm ruler and place a nice big block of blu-tack in the middle. Now shake up and down from the tips, and visually observe the amount of vibration (this, representing a typical coaster train). Now, split the blu-tack and place it on the ends of the ruler, shaking it from the middle. See the difference? Now, this obviously exaggerates the effect, but explains the principle behind it.

And to round off the final potential question; why doesn't this happen on B&M's wing riders? Well the simple answer is, it does. The only differences are, the centre of gravity across the train lies roughly in line with the riders chest, reducing the amount of spine-based shake. Secondly, if you just have a quick look to the internet, you can see the size difference between Intamin wheels and B&M wheels. Any substantial flat on a B&M would take much longer to form than on the comparatively small Intamin wheels.

And why do they run the trains like this? Well firstly, it's hard to detect this type of motion. By nature of the design we could be talking about minute flats that the train design amplifies. The other point to make is that the cost of constantly replacing wheels would be astronomical. I would imagine, wheel changes will be written into a maintence schedule somewhere which dictates at what point it's financially viable to change the wheels. I'll again re-iterate, it's not every single row, they all have their own unique characteristics and so some rows wheels may perform better than others.

And how are the flats caused? Try launching a car, slowing a real life train, braking on a bike, etc etc, if the rubber sticks for even a split second, a tiny little bit of wear develops, and it's simply the extreme of this which causes the most uncomfortable ride experiences.

furie said:
I know that Erol loved it (or at least enjoyed it) when we all hated it, on the same train. That definitely suggests it's tolerance to the vibrations and whether the ride is actually doing "stuff for you", rather than actually anything physical. Much like the Balder argument where the same people on the same train in seats next to each other come off with completely different opinions of the ride (one meh, one OMFG).

An argument I can entirely appreciate, but not in this case, in my experience. Tried and tested with numerous members of family, it was a practice we employed over many a holiday of finding the right row, and the right seat, on the right train, and making sure we got it, because otherwise, we all knew we were going to come off saying 'ouch', not 'omg'. The ride experience, I am sure, won't push everyones buttons because of course, we all prefer different things, but the main detraction from Baco is not the ride itself but the pain it induces, and as explained above, this is the best reason I can fathom for such variance within one train.

Now, I won't defend Intamin or PA at this point, because in my opinion, that is a flaw with the ride. It's probably just one that neither side have the finance, time or enthusiasm to fix, when the ride is still pulling large queues, a train re-design is expensive, and Intamin have plenty of other success stories and are selling big projects the world over. Who knows, with the uptake of B&M Wing Coasters being what it is, a redesign may well be on the cards, but I suspect the main nail in the Intamin wing rider coffin, is the fact the prime example is not just a wing rider, but a notoriously unreliable, expensive and complex accelerator coaster as well.