What's new

What got you interested in...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
RCT2. Easy as. I found out about Six Flags through it, and started looking for what the coasters looked like in real life. then I got hooked, searched the net for more impressive rides, and eventually found CF.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Twin Looper in 1998. I was forced by my parents to do it, I ended up loving it, and have been hooked ever since.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
I have always loved coasters and parks. I think its great that man can sit (or stand or lie) and be taken through so many elements of gravity defying forces for two minutes and come off with absolutely no effect to their inner system. I have always been fascinated by that. But I think there are many reasons why I love them. I love being in a theme park hearing people screaming and laughing and then there's all the exciting smells and the atmosphere. And coasters just look great even the smaller ones. Its like a magic moment whenever I walk through the gates of a park. Its an exciting moment that can't be replaced. I thrive off the thrill to be honest. I think rollercoasters are addictive. One I had ridden my first one (Big Thunder Mountain years ago) that was it I was hooked. I went out, bought Rollercoaster Tycoon went to as many parks as I could find and became a huge part of the coaster world today. I have a lot of knowledge of parks and coasters and I have met some very interesting faces in the industry and on CF and TT. I will probably be challenging coasters until I am 90 if I live that long. Theme parks have brought me and Josh together we argue a lot as best friends but as enthusiasts the topic of theme parks and coasters always arises which always solves the problems. Plus its a great way to spend time with friends. I think the world of coasters is perfect for those who embrace it- you either love them or hate them, but where else can you defy gravity in seconds and live to tell the tale? Its mesmerizing.

Error

Strata Poster
Cedar Point every year.

I discovered I would always save my maps and plan out the day at chirstmas for the trip in August. I studied the maps and figured out what new ride to ride and even told my parents how early I wanted to be there.

I designed many rides with many things, including a dirt track in the back yard. And I tryed to make a loop out of snow one time...not so sucessful...

Realized when I was in 7th-8th grade, and it's my legacy in school.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Belle Vue at three. BPB at four. Southport Pleasureland at five. Alton Towers at six. Camelot at seven (actually, I went off them for a bit after that :p ). Rhyl Ocean Beach at eight. Ffrith Beach at nine.

Repeat ad coasteraddiction ;)

A

Anonymous

For me it was just last year when I went to Disneyland and rode the Matterhorn. I initially didn't like it a whole lot and thought it was pretty scary but I rode a few other small coasters and by the time I got home I was hooked and found this website. I read up on all the different types of coasters and bought RCT3 and I've loved them ever since!

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I'm pretty sure it was RCT 1 that got me interested. And if it wasn't for my dad persuading me to go on big rides at a young age then I'd probably still be scared of rides now, but thanks to him I'll ride just about anything. :)

A

Anonymous

As many have said before me, RCT. And the only reason why I bought it was that it was made by Chris Sawyer who before that had made the best game in history Transport Tycoon.

spicy

Giga Poster
I had always loved the Vampire as a kid and just used to find it so awesome. I used to think that was the best coaster in the world.

Then in 1997 I went to Alton Towers and was just amazed and overwhelmed at just looking at Nemesis and Oblivion, I didn't even know these rides existed, I just knew AT was the place for 'big' rides as thats always been its reputation.

Then I came off Nemesis with the biggest grin on my face ever and couldn't wait to try out Oblivion. Once I had been on these I wanted to find out more.

Who the hell designs these things? Who manufactures them? How much do they cost? Etc.

I then lost interest for a while until I went to Thorpe in 2001 when it was a kiddys park and I didn't even really want to go. Then I saw Colossus being constructed and I was just like :shock:

Then it started out all over again I wanted to find out about this ride that was being built, which lead me to CF and I haven't really lost interest in coasters since.

Going to Darien Lake and Geauga Lake when I was little.

To be honest, I didn't really go on anything at Darien Lake except the kiddie rides because I was only six, but I was obsessed at looking at the coasters on the computer. Then, when I went to Geauga Lake I would memorize statistics of coasters and I was gettin' all into it.

I think going back to Cedar Point in 2005 really got me into it though, although I did join CoasterForce two months prior to that.

So overall I think it mostly had to do with being exposed to coasters really early.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Alton Towers 1994.

Even though I couldn't ride much, I was fascinated and later that evening, I stayed up all night drawing the rides. I still have the picture from back then hehe.

Good old Alton :)

elmerfudd

Mega Poster
To be honest, it wasnt a particular ride or themepark that got me hooked. I just loved the sound of a rollercoaster train gliding past you on a B&M track. The music and atmosphere and just general stuff got me gettin shivers down my back. I natually love them and yeah, its awesome!

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
When I was about 6, I went too BPB and I was hooked. Since then I've been trying too find out more about 'em. And when I was either 19/20 I discovered CF:--D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've always liked theme parks but never really indulged in enthusiasm on this level until I become a regular on CF.

CF and all it's trimmings made me an enthusiast.

Rush

Giga Poster
spicy said:
Then in 1997 I went to Alton Towers and was just amazed and overwhelmed at just looking at Nemesis and Oblivion...

Oblivion opened in 1998. :wink:

I used to be pretty scared of coasters until I think it was around 2003-4 when I braved Vampire at Chessie. I also got RCT2 and I had fun on that. It wasn't until I found CoasterForce where I discovered lots of other rollercoasters I really found out how much I loved them. Going to Florida also boosted my enthusiasm.

I remember looking at Hulk once and thinking, 'Wow, it would be so cool if I could ride that.' I went on it a year later. :--D

Brookes

Giga Poster
I never really liked rollercoasters, to be honest I hated them and wouldn't even go on the Mine Train at Alton Towers. I never thought I would enjoy them, and never seemed to go to many parks. But then in Year 8, I went to a Paris trip and we went to Parc Asterix. With all my mates there I thought I might aswell go on some of the rides. I went on Trace du Hourra and it was fantastic, I really enjoyed. We also went Disneyland Paris and experienced my first inversion on Space Mountain: Mission 2. From there I started going on more rides, but didn't really start going on all the big stuff for a while. Late 2007 was when I really started being interested in them, just seeing the sheer height of SilverStar and riding it took my breath away. After that I went to Alton Towers Scarefest and went on everything. Since then, I've always been really interested and have gained loads more information since becoming a properly active member of CF in last October.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Martyn taking me to Alton in 2007 made me interested in coasters. Nemesis was probably the biggest influence with that decision...

Peter

Hyper Poster
Space Mountain did it for me at DLP.

I rode it once on a school trip back in about 2000, loved it, but never really followed it any more than that. In 2003 I went back to DLP with the family and rode it along with RnR, then went to Duinrell in Holland, where I had a weeks free entry to the themepark there.

I kept on thinking about rides for the next weeks on end, started researching online, watching POV's e.t.c of Space Mountain/RnR, and eventually got addicted.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ian said:
I've always liked theme parks but never really indulged in enthusiasm on this level until I become a regular on CF.

CF and all it's trimmings made me an enthusiast.

Same here. I've always enjoyed them, but CF has turned it from the occasional Alton trip to an all-out hobby. I suppose working at Flamingoland and watching Magnum Force going up gave me a push in that direction too though.