What's new

What are you reading?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Yah, for sure. Have you ever seen the movie? When his ankles like, break over that piece of wood I cringe so much. It'd hurt sooo bad!

Yeah, but it's not true to the book, and although I think the film's version is more gruesome and painful, I'd rather they stuck to the book.

Griffin

Roller Poster
I've just finished 1984 by George Orwell.
Brilliant book, he was so ahead of his time.
I'm a little way into The Judas by Steve Jackson
It's an English based crime thriller, pretty good so far.

Ben

CF Legend
UncleArly said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Yah, for sure. Have you ever seen the movie? When his ankles like, break over that piece of wood I cringe so much. It'd hurt sooo bad!

Yeah, but it's not true to the book, and although I think the film's version is more gruesome and painful, I'd rather they stuck to the book.

That part is one of my favourite King-passages. Up there with the hedge animals in The Shining, and the fire-hose from the same book. Love both those parts because of how he makes something so... crap, seem so horrible... and then the Misery passage is just plain amazing. My feet hurt whenever I read it, which I avoid doing cause it's so... well, good, that it grosses me out too much to read.

And Griffin, 1984 is amazing, I love it. Absolutely amazing. Have you read Animal Farm? That's fantastic as well, and along similar lines. Well, not really... but kind of.

And Les Mis just got amaziiing!

Griffin

Roller Poster
I've been meaning to read Animal Farm for a while, I know the story, but I've never got round to it
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk is next on my list

mrclam

Giga Poster
Griffin said:
I've been meaning to read Animal Farm for a while, I know the story, but I've never got round to it
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk is next on my list

We read animal farm in remedial English at school.

Ahhh.. Remedial English - to think how much things have changed. Judging by "the younger members" spelling/grammar on here - if I was born a few years later, i'd have been an A grade student! :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I finished Bog Child last night.

I have to say I really liked this book. The blend of the mystery surrounding the body, and the desperate situation the family are in means that the story seems to really wind itself up. The plot is good and the way that it is written is very readable and certainly gripping.

I would recommend this book to most teenagers, but it's not the action-packed book for teenagers. More of just a really good read.

Overall 8/10

A

Anonymous

I'm reading 'Ronnie'. Which is Ronnie Wood's autobiography, I mean I don't read much, but this book (autobiography) is fascinating! It's a stunning look into one of History's most iconic rock stars. 'The Rolling Stones'.

Rating:

9/10

Airtime Cadet

Roller Poster
last thing i read was Zero Option by Chris Ryan, which involves an sas man taking a IRA guy hostage and then giving him a massive rifle to shoot the prime minister in order to get his kid set free from more IRA people who don't like either the SAS guy or the other IRA guy and previously the SAS guy shot the IRA guy and he got blood poisoning and the van that was taking him to hospital got attacked by more SAS guys and a US navy SEAL with a bad arm...

in short, confusing

Ollie

CF Legend
Finished reading the Stone Rose last night. It's pretty good, if a little confusing towards the end. :p
8/10

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Right now, I'm attempting to read my economics textbook and watch Monday Night Football at the same time.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Okay, catching up again, I'll try not to make this quite as long as last time :p

The Book Thief was a fantastic insight into the life of a girl through the second world war, excellent characterisation and very moving throughout. Possibly one of my favourite books.

9/10

I picked up The Lizard Cage too, which sounded interesting, and thankfully it didn't dissapoint. Burmese culture is really deep and interesting, and I'm suprised more people haven't delved into its depths. Really nice writing style, tense and gives a really poignant look into what happened during the student protests of 1988

8/10

I've just started reading Blood Red, Snow White, which is apparently a 'Fairy tale, spy thriller and love story blend to capture the flavour of revolution'. In Russia, of course. Essentially, after reading that, I HAD to buy it :p

Also, both 1984 and Animal Farm are superb books (I would reccomend Brave New World in the failed society fiction list, too), and I urge all to read!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Star Wars - From the adventures of Luke Skywalker - George Lucas

The book "A New Hope" is based on. Let's face it, it's just Star Wars. I dug out my old copy (not first edition sadly, 1981 edition).

It's quite interesting to read if you're a bit of a Star Wars nerd. Clearly Lucas had this grandiose idea to make it a series of books like Lord of the Rings. You can spot bits in there, like the way people converse, the made up languages and the hints at larger thnigs going on in an expanded universe beyond the pages.

There are also references to things which would wouldn't arrive until the new Star Wars films - Like an insectoid junk dealer who buys Luke's Land Speeder in Mos Eisley.

Sadly, Lucas is no Tolkien. The book is just about adequately written enough. Sometimes you can see where he's gone to town with a Thesaurus, and the conversations are awkward and flow badly. You can see where the actors changed things deliberately because it's just a bunch of tripe a lot of the time.

It's no different story wise to the extended editions, but it's the subtle changes which are interesting (to a geek).

Ollie

CF Legend
The Feast of the Drowned
Great book. Jumps straight into the action and keeps on building until it reaches the climax.
Has quite a few bits where you wonder what's going to happen next and was a real page turner.
8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
UFO's are coming on Wednesday - by Eric Sykes

It's a book I inherited many years ago. No idea where from. No idea what it's about. All I know is that it's sat unread, and has been carried from abode to abode with me for about 12 years.

I was bored and started reading it, it's quite good actually :lol:

Not that anyone will read this or care, but...

It's about various small town councils who get letters saying "UFO's are coming on Wednesday". It starts off with one in Birmingham, and due to a series of beurocratic ends up on the PM's desk and it becomes national (when it was supposed to be kept secret). This causes chaos in the UK as people head to the landing site. This carries on month after month in different small towns each time, until it's seen as a joke.

Then the aliens make a personal visit to a small town in Lancashire...

It's got a very subtle wit, and the story is meandering and light. It's also quite intriguing, trying to decide if aliens are actually ever going to land or not. I suspect it's quite a Northern book too, with some good kind of Lancashire humour in it.

I'm not going to recommend it, as I think it's been out of print for years - but if you should happen to one day find it on your book case, have a nosey into it. :)

Goliath123

Mega Poster
New series, Alpha Force.

Five teenage kids go on life threating adventure to stop crime around the world. My fav character is Hex, a computer geek....

Will

Strata Poster
Just about to start Johnathan Tropper's 'Everything Changes', having read and enjoyed his 3 other books over the last month or so.

A

Anonymous

jade goody-catch a falling star

an amazing read, no joke, not most liked person. but brilliant read