What's new

What are you reading?

Slayed said:
Lol, I had exactly the same problem with McEwan's Atonement, which is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I got to page 70 and the introductory sequence was STILL going on, and I just couldn't be bothered.

I'm being nagged to read that next, but will happily give it a miss if that's what it's really like! Still battling with Saturday, after a break to read Tunnel Vision (which I finished in 3 days, annoyingly) - a thoroughly light hearted read, about a man's bet to travel round the entire tube map in one day :D

Well I finished Dean Koontz' From The Corner Of His Eye, a different take on the usual serial killer style story. Some of it was excellent, but it was a bit of a slog at 650 pages, definitely could do with some trimming. Did make me shed a tear though which is highly unusual for me with a book.

Just finished Tim Bowler's Frozen Fire, rather odd story about a rebellious teenager and supernatural stranger. Nowhere near as good as his last 2 (esp. Starseeker which is amazing), so disappointed.

Starting Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind next, should be interesting. Oh and The Complete Works of Shakespeare, got some revision to do, only 1400 pages :p

Nerd Alert :p

Read "Roller Coasters: Shake, Rattle and Roll": A history of UK Coasters in pictures from the past" over the weekend, and I'm slowly going through "Pleasureland Memories" too.

It's hard, because the images in both books are spellbinding and you keep on going through and just looking at them. Then it's really sad too looking at all the awesome coasters that have gone now.

Both available from:
http://www.joylandbooks.com/books_new/c ... review.htm
http://www.joylandbooks.com/books_new/p ... review.htm

I'm still in the process of reading Trainspotting and trying to make sense of the book, however I've come to the conclusions that North America dwellers shouldn't try and read a Scottish book. Though, I'm still going to try and finish it.

I'm also reading "Infamous Murderers" which happens to be an amazing book. I love reading true stories of murders, and I suppose you could say I have a sick mind. They're a bunch of couple page stories grouped into one. I also have another murder book I just bought but I havn't started it yet.

When my "Roller Coasters Of America" book comes I'll most definately be reading that all the time as well! I can't wait.

Irvin Welsh....Yuck. I've never understood why he can't just spell the words properly. If people want to "hear" the Scottish accent, they can do it in their own heads without having it forced on them by the writer, especially a whole book of it. Don't worry it's not just a North American thing, Taylor. I've never bothered reading past the first few pages of Trainspotting. The whole style of it just pissed me off.

LFTL said:
I love reading true stories of murders, and I suppose you could say I have a sick mind.

Yep! Actually I'm exactly the same. I LOVE reading about that kind of stuff, and I've got loads of books and magazines on most of the "famous" killers. I prefer to call it a morbid curiosity, rather than having a sick mind, but you're right, that kind of stuff is so interesting.

Oh gavin you're just a very silly man. I personally found trainspotting to be an immensely enjoyable book!

Still reading a picture of dorian gray; I will finish it by christmas, I swear.

You wanna know what im reading?
This post as i am writing it. :lol:

Nah, as of Christmas Day, i shall be reading Peter Kay's Sound of laughter.
Looks to be funny as it knocked the Guiniss Book of Records off the top spot.

Finished it, finally!

Pretty good book. The ending didn't really affect me though for some reason - it felt like I should be weeping or feeling shocked or something, but I just couldn't feel it. Oh well.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm considering catch 22 (I have a load of books left over from my birthday, and I'll be getting more for xmas: I really need to start reading more).

Currently reading "Girl, (Nearly) 16, Absolute Torture". I read the first one a while back and it was pretty funny. and the next one came out recently. And it's set in England, too, which is kinda cool. And it helps me out a little cause at this point in the book they're taking a roadtrip to Cornwall and talking about a whole bunch of British history on the way.

On... Friday, I think, I read basically all of "When It Happens", which was pretty awesome... and I was bored and had a few hours to do nothing. It was a really sweet book, a sappy teenage novel, which is my favorite.

Next on my list (which I just got today as a gift) is "The Pact", and this one is about teenagers in love and them commiting suicide together and it causing a feud. How fun!

Well I just started reading "The Sound Of Laughter" By Peter Kay. Its his autobiography and is really really funny.

Pete, liked him in big brother and his life is interesting with his torettes.

Pretty good so far!

I'm on the Peter Kay bandwagon. Got the book for christmas, so it might as well be read. It is a good giggle, if you can deal with the fact you end up reading some of the same jokes you've heard many times over the years. Also, you really need to read it in a Bolton accent to get the full effect.

Finished Michael Crichton's Next, which is about the potential perils of genetic science. It's alright but not as good as his usual writing - it's as though he took all of the ideas about genetics he could think of and just threw them all together. It's also a bit worrying when the best character in the book is a parrot.

Started Garth Nix's Sabriel now, because Ploddish made me :p

Well, me being me, I am fully caable of reading a few books simultaneously (always wanted to say "simultaneously" :) ). right now, next to my bedside, there's Harlen Coben's 'Back Spin'. great one. Also there's Lian Hearn's 'Grass for his Pillow', the 2nd book out of 3, Nicolas Spark's 'A Bend in the Road' and of course there's Sydney Sheldon's 'The Sky is Falling'. most of these are translated to Hebrew.

Yep Im a closet book worm :(

"All quiet on the Western Front."
A translated account of the first world war, from a German dude's eyes. First published in 1929, y'know.

Pretty hardcore.

Im a big fan of Bill Byrson, and am currently working my way through any books of his i havent read yet, atm on his Australian book 'Down Under', a very apt title eh?

Also will be tucking into Jimmy Carrs book on comedy soon, once ive finished my other book.

Im not really an avid reader, but happen to have a few books to read atm.

Since I am young, I am reading Eragon and just finished Fire Star.

Ive just finished the Magicians Guild trilogy (which was very good)

And have started on A.M. Homes' "This book will save your life"

So far its very good also...