What's new

What are you reading?

rollermonkey said:
Does listening to Terry Pratchett's Dodger on audiobook count?

Yeah, I reckon they do. I finished all of Pratchett's Discworld books early last year I think (or was it the year before - time flies) . I just waded through them all in a great big gulp. It's like one reading session per book - so it didn't take too long.

I've still got Raising Steam to read when I can be bothered to pick it up. Dodger sounds good, and Good Omens is the only non-Discworld novel of his I've read and it was great, but a bit iffy in terms of writing here and there (may be the result of working with another author).

I'd say listening makes them last longer :)

As with everything in my life, I go through intense phases, then completely abandon.

Books I have on the go, some of which have been on the go for several years...

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne
The Immersive Worlds Handbook by Scott Lucas
31 Months in Japan by I cant read the author from here and I'm not getting up.
Evolution of Conciousness by Robert Ornstein

I just finished Imagineering: Behind the dreams at making more magic real that Peep lent me. It was more pictures than words though.

And I just got that Alton Towers unofficial guide history book thing. It's thicker than I want it to be. Lmao.

^ Do you mean Tales From The Towers? It's a really good book, very well researched and written. The author, Nick Sim, has written another book about Universal Studios which I can't put down at the moment - the details about how they create their rides and the money they spend is staggering!

Don't forget the really good but about the Corkscrew :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

furie said:
rollermonkey said:
Does listening to Terry Pratchett's Dodger on audiobook count?

Yeah, I reckon they do. I finished all of Pratchett's Discworld books early last year I think (or was it the year before - time flies) . I just waded through them all in a great big gulp. It's like one reading session per book - so it didn't take too long.

I've still got Raising Steam to read when I can be bothered to pick it up. Dodger sounds good, and Good Omens is the only non-Discworld novel of his I've read and it was great, but a bit iffy in terms of writing here and there (may be the result of working with another author).

I'd say listening makes them last longer :)

I don't thing that I have read absolutely everything he's written, but I'm very close. I think I'm short the newest Discworld book and maybe one or two of the earliest non-Discworld books. Even read the kid's books like Trucks and Johnny and the Bomb.

The sad thing is I heard that he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

rollermonkey said:
The sad thing is I heard that he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Yeah, it's been a few years now he's had it. He can't type or write any more, so he dictates all his novels to his PA. Hence why I don't really see an issue with listening to an audio book of his - it has to be the purest form of input :)

His daughter has already said she'll take on the Discworld mantle when he can no longer write at all and she has copious notes and things.

She's a games scriptwriter at the moment (she wrote the latest, well received, Tomb Raider game) and is currently getting a few series of Discworld books onto the TV. It'll be tragic when he can no longer write (and he's openly said he'll seriously contemplate assisted suicide when that happens), but his legacy will live on.

I finished the Divergent trilogy a few weeks ago (Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant) and it made me wish they wrote more books like the ones I'd like. I liked them less and less as they went on but they're all phenomenal. I don't recommend reading the end of Allegiant in public, though. In addition to being really unfair, it's extremely sad and I just about cried like an idiot with my friends on campus over this stupid sequence of events that happened on ink on paper. Can't wait to see the film adaptations, our University Activities Board was able to get students a free preview screening at 9:30 the night of the midnight premier at a really nice movie theatre in this really awesome nightlife district near our school, I'm psyched!

Travelling is my passionate hobby I always prefer to read travelling books because it let me to broad my knowledge about attractions around the world. Now a day! I am reading“The Best Things to Do in New York” by Caitlin Leffel. It is very informative especially for those who are unfamiliar about New York tourism.

^One of worst written series I've ever suffered through, and I only finished because I bought a discounted version for my tablet.

Have a few books in the pipeline, first is Mazerunner and it was $1, then it's onto some historical reading. First book involes the train system of scheduling for the Nazi and the concentration camps, and then a world war 2 pilot book.

Solo

It's a fairly new James Bond 007 novel written in the style of Ian Fleming by some other author. I only started reading it in January so I'm quite proud that I've already finished it (I only read on the odd occasion on the train home from work). It was good, some parts were rather unnecessary (due to trying to write in the style of Fleming), yet overall I felt like it was missing something. It had some great characters (including a henchman with a rather gruesome technique) but I think it was missing a great super villain like some of the classics (I've read the majority of the originals). Overall it was an enjoyable read though (must have been, I made it to the end :p ).

For uni I've been reading some Bill Bryson stuff

A Short History of Nearly Everything
From start to finish it is a hilarious, quick-witted, fast-paced story of how the Earth had changed from it's formation 4.6 billion years ago up to today. It also provides detailed information in the development of Earth Sciences in the UK especially, but also worldwide, in the 19th century and how theories changed and evolved. I found it a really great read, highly recommended for some light non-fiction reading.

Down Under
Only just started reading this, but as I'm typing this thought I might as well say something. It's just hilarious and really informative. As the name would suggest, it's about Bryson's travels in Australia. It really is an excellent guide book in a way. It's brilliantly funny too. More when I've finished the book :p

I know there's a decent number of CFers that love The Room, the Tommy Wiseau movie that is a beautiful disaster in almost every way. To those people, I recommend The Disaster Artist. Greg Sestero, the actor that played Mark, talks about the production of The Room, his relationship with Tommy and his journey as a young actor. The film is weird, but it only becomes more bizarre as you find out more about Tommy Wiseau's mental world.

I actually just started reading The Hobbit again this evening, working my way through the entire Middle Earth series, because it's simply the best <3

So, according to this topic, it appears that I haven't read a book for about 7 years.

I'll throw a few in here that I've read relatively recently, but I won't try and trawl back to include f**k knows how many books I must've got through since last time I posted in here.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

I wasn't a massive fan to be honest. I really like his other two kids' books, Coraline and The Graveyard Book, but this one just didn't hit the same spot for me. Maybe “kids’ book” isn’t accurate, but it’s not quite an adult book either; it seems to lie somewhere in between the two. The villain seems to almost be a rehash of Coraline’s Other Mother character.

Hunger Games Trilogy – Suzanne Collins

I read the first book ages ago and only got around to finishing off the third a few weeks ago. The books get progressively weaker really. I got quite caught up in the first one, but just didn’t care by the end. It’s probably not a good thing that the success of the series will mean we get subjected to all kind of Divergent and Maze Runner crap for years to come. Better than sparkly f**king vampires I guess.

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

An excellent book. A really good story and very atmospheric, doing a great job of describing Barcelona in a way that gets you into the story without getting too verbose.

Tell-All – Chuck Palahniuk

I’m kind of over his stuff by now really. This was better than a lot of his other recent stuff, but probably only because I’ve got a knowledge and interest in the old Hollywood thing that’s the major focus here. Meh.

The Wasp Factory– Iain Banks

Brilliant. Genuinely disturbing, but sooooooooo good. I loved it. I've really got to try more of his stuff.

The Book of Human Skin – Michelle Lovric

Another excellent one. It’s told from the perspectives of five different characters, and the author has done an excellent job of making their different “voices” distinct enough to make the jumping around easy enough to follow. It’s set in 18th century Venice and is equally horrific and hilarious. The deranged nun narrator is amazing.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I've never tried any of her stuff before, so gave this one a go since it's quite short. I had no idea what it was about, so was quite surprised to find that it was science-fiction/dystopian novel. The title suggested something more historical. It was very good.

I remember reading that at school and it being really good. Can't remember the details though, perhaps I should dig it out again.

gavin said:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

I wasn't a massive fan to be honest. I really like his other two kids' books, Coraline and The Graveyard Book, but this one just didn't hit the same spot for me. Maybe “kids’ book” isn’t accurate, but it’s not quite an adult book either; it seems to lie somewhere in between the two. The villain seems to almost be a rehash of Coraline’s Other Mother character.

I got Stardust for free the other week and really enjoyed it as a bit of light reading. It had an excerpt form The Ocean at the End of the Lane at the back and it was quite intriguing - the kind of thing I tend to like. I wasn't massively taken with Good Omens though and Stardust was enjoyable, but very lite - so I don't know if I'll bother with any more of his now :lol:

gavin said:
Hunger Games Trilogy – Suzanne Collins

I read the first book ages ago and only got around to finishing off the third a few weeks ago. The books get progressively weaker really. I got quite caught up in the first one, but just didn’t care by the end. It’s probably not a good thing that the success of the series will mean we get subjected to all kind of Divergent and Maze Runner crap for years to come. Better than sparkly f**king vampires I guess.

Yeah, I got them all cheap too and piled through them. Agreed, they start really good, but then she loses it a bit and doesn't seem to know what to do other than try and repeat the themes in a ham-fisted manner. I appreciate her making Katniss a strong female character and not just at the whims of the men and stuff, but she is actually genuinely unlike-able and more so as the books go on. Sometimes she's good, then it's like Collins realises she may be straying into sappy territory and puts on the brakes again.

gavin said:
The Wasp Factory– Iain Banks

Brilliant. Genuinely disturbing, but sooooooooo good. I loved it. I've really got to try more of his stuff.

Everyone always goes on about his stuff, I'll have to try some.

As I've been doing reading-lite, I also finished:

Ready Player One
Trashy distopian future novel that wins because it's so full of pop culture and cheese. It's badly written, but fun enough :)

The Wolves of London - Mark Morris
Really looking forward to this as I loved Mark Morris for years. he's a very straightforward, but highly imaginative British fantasy-horror author. His stuff tends to mirror real life - he captures the day to day mundane really well. Then he explodes that by pushing ordinary dull people into extraordinary situations.

This time it was really disappointing. The basic premise is kind of okay, but it's not brilliant. It's badly written though and just a bit bland. It's the flow of the text is really odd. It's like three pages of stuff happening, then a line of "it was a good job I'd put the dog in the kennels as otherwise it would have been sad" - because the dog is a vital plot point later on and you may have been wondering what was happening to it while he was out getting pissed up. It's the first of a trilogy, so it has a chance to improve, but "meh" so far.

His Dark Materials
Just started Northern Lights. I've been meaning to read it for years as I actually quite like the film. The book is "okay", but it's similar to Morris' above - it flows badly at times, but generally, it's a good page turner.

They all make a nice break from reading my way through (once again)
The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft
The books are completely indescribable, with stories built in an almost cyclopean manner that cover a range of mental and other-worldly horrors in an American Gothic revival across the early 20th century. The writing is deliberately archaic, often to the detriment of the tale, with recurring themes of madness driven by nightmare creatures in an ever expanding mythos.

Some tales are woeful, but worth reading for the glimpses they offer into the mythos Lovecraft developed. Others offer much, but give little beyond what have no become famous line (The Call of Cthulhu is a very poor tale, but has kind of become the cornerstone of the entire love of everything Cthluhu). Then there are some fantastic stories, particularly as Lovecraft ages. The novellas in particular are a great read and you can see their influence spread right across the horror genre.

My favourite story though is a poetic tale of a wandering minstrel who has forgotten his past. It's a really nice, almost faery tale and creates a wonderful kind of medieval atmosphere.

Hard going though, the lot of them :lol:

I never did A-level English, I decided to do 'real' subjects ;p

Seriously though, I really enjoy your reviews Gavin. I have a few board games based on Lovecraft and I quite enjoy surrel/dark themes so been meaning to give them a go for a while. Damn you for giving me some inspiration while I'm bored at work.