What's new

What are you reading?

I'm reading Wicked.. Despite knowing what happens, it's still a pretty difficult read, only because there are so many characters and a lot of the words he uses are beyond my knowledge of vocabulary. I'm just gonna say that if I didn't know what happened, I'd be totally lost :p .

It's still a good book though, I'm about halfway through, I just feel like I can't enjoy it as much because I have to stop every sixty pages and write a four page response journal. Then I have to read "Son of a Witch" and do the same thing.

Finished reading Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters today.

I really enjoyed it, I knew what the plot twists were going to be ages before they happened but it still kept me entertained. Looking forward to start reading the third instalment of the series tomorrow.

Re-Reading Heats in Atlantis (third or fourth time through) by Mr S King. I like it to be honest. It's a lot miss in places, but it's mostly hit in my opinion. Decided after finally finishing the Dark Tower series, I need to get back onto all the "connected" regular stories.

Still "all right I suppose" :)

I'm now reading... Battle Royale still... I'm not good with books. :/

I need more Yotsuba as well actually.

I finished reading the Bourne Supremecy and I'm now reading The Bourne Ultimatum.

The first two are really good and really entertaining, and so far the third is my favorite one yet. The way Robert Ludlum writes makes him sound like a real government analyst or strategist.

After a lot of my friends read this book in Pre-AP English they told me to read it so I finished The Hunger Games today by Suzanne Collins.

What can I say? It lived up to what everyone said it was. A great book and it definitely kept me entertained. A gripping story, it has romance, comedy, and tragedy. Really great book and I recommend it. I'm going to start the sequel Catching Fire tomorrow so I can't wait! :D

^Haha, the book of Wicked is CRAP >.<

Yeah it's a bit dry to be honest. When a book make you think "ughh" when you have to pick it up and read it, it's definitely not the best.

Then I have to read Son of a Witch for the second part of my project, so that's another 350 pages of dull :p .

Just finished reading the Skins Novel. It was quite good although the writing style didn't really suit the way Skins is usually presented. It was also quite short and you have to follow several characters at the same time. It's really something extra outside the TV series. Doesn't really add much to character development or plot wise. Just tells you what they did during the summer holidays.
Still quite a fun little read though for less than £3.

Finally finished Wicked, and decided that, although dry in some places, it actually might have been a good book if I didn't have to stop every sixty pages and write a four page response journal :p . It was definitely interesting, and though I'm not entirely sure if I like the idea that he toyed with such a classic story, it didn't alter my views on the Wizard of Oz or anything. The end paragraph was also one of my favourite paragraphs I have read in almost any book, as well.

8/10

I'd rather have seen the show, though :p .

For the second part in my English Final Summative Evaluation, I'm reading Son of a Witch, the sequel to Wicked. Only fifty pages in, but I'll report back when I get more into it.

Lain said:
I recently finished the Brightonomicon.

It was very good. :D

I actually have a copy of the Necronomicon and I read it... It was complete and utter tosh :lol:

Just finished Skeleton Crew by Mr King - collection of very early short stories (including "The Mist").

it was interesting parts, good in others, high school in others. Worth the read for filling in the bits and pieces of his career. The reason I mention it is because the vaguely referenced Cthulhu mythos story "Gramma" is quite disturbing :)

Reading Che Guevara-The Bolivian Diary at the moment, got it for xmas and completly forgot about it till yesterday.

Watership down. I finally saw the film recently and loved it so much, I just had to buy the book.

I'm reading; "On the destiny of species, by means of natural selection or the elimination of unfavoured races in the struggle for life" by matthew watkinson :D It's actually kinda good.

Easter is the time for self-harming. Ever since that guy got nailed to that cross many years ago, tons of people have tried to do the same, just so they get to feel how it was to insult the Romans. And, after all the slagging of Berlusconi lately, I feel that a lot of important Romans have been insulted and if history is to repeat itself, they will start to harm people again. As a preparation of what surely is to come, I decided to try self-harming. No crosses involved, we're into the 21st century now, and I found the worst torture device today has to offer:

I read Twilight.

Spoiler time.
Admittedly, it's not the worst book I've read. Not even the worst book I've read voluntarily (though, it competes for the title, and might be adjusted later). But it's well within the worst one percent of all books I've read.

The book is about a parodically clumsy but otherwise Mary Sue-ish girl named Bella (which means "pretty" in Italian. Already there, you know what direction this is going to take) who moves from Phoenix (which she loves) to some ultimately depressing town in Washington (which she hates), for no apparent reason at all. She has no defining character traits, apart from a clumsiness that borders on retardation.
In said depressing town, she meets a boy named Edward, who is described as being "perfect" on literally every other page*. Edward, who turns out to be a vampire, has no personality either (apart from the "perfectness"), but he is a stalker who regularly talks about eating or harming Bella. To be fair with him, even though Edward doesn't really harm her much, she manages to do it annoyingly often herself. The two somehow end up as a pair.

Even though Bella is repeatedly described as a bland girl, all the non-vampire, non-family males MENTIONED in the story shows a love interest for her. She never turns any of them down, but just says "some time later" to everyone, which again makes up for more intrigues involving her vampire boyfriend. All in all, this book would have been 300 pages shorter if it weren't for all the "but then you said to him..." and "I thought you didn't like me...". Due to all this drawn-out-ness, it's almost impossible to find any sort of storyline for the first 350 pages of the book. At that point, a random villain appears out of nowhere. There is a lot of fuzz about him, Bella manages to almost kill herself despite everybody explicitly telling her not to, but luckily, perfect Edward manages to save her at last. The villain is never heard from again, and Bella and Edward go to prom together. Cue end credits.

Then, onto details and my opinions. As many have mentioned before me, the vampires. All I have to say, Bram Stoker would be crying. Loudly. Super-senses and -strength, OK. Bram said that too. However, random magical powers, beauty and that goddamn sparkling almost made me puke. Everybody, go read "Dracula" now, so that if civilization is lost tomorrow, the last image we'll have of vampires won't be those... mannequins that Meyer describes. Mannequins or statues; the vampires are described as cold, hard, emotionless and generally good-looking. Bella being in love with one sounds an awful lot like Agalmathophilia (Wiki it).

Despite all the slate it gets, this is apparently the best of the books in the Twilight series. I have read summaries of the rest, and I have to say, I'm only willing to read them if I have to. Should I, so you won't have to? Give me your opinions on this review and answer.

*I did a little research. I asked my calculator to give me 30 random integers between-and-counting 16 (the first page Edward appears on) and 434 (the last page with text on in the book, not counting the previews of the next book), and 18 of those pointed me to pages describing Edward perfect looks, super-senses or Bella's heart rate speeding up by mention of his name. My sister, who is a fan of the series, judged and overthrew a few of these 30, but we still ended up at 18. Percentage-wise, that is 60.

Also read the Cracked.com article on the subject. They sum it up even better than I do.

So how do I rate it? I'll rate it like furie rated "Plan 9 from Outer Space" a while ago. If you read it for the cringes, just to see how bad it can be, it's a 7/10. If you read it for enjoyment of yourself, the one-to-ten scale can't be applied. If you want a better book to read this spring, go to any library and throw a dart. It is almost guaranteed to hit something that's more enjoyable to read.

I'm reading "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin, which is about the history of quantum physics. It's pretty insane.

Thanks for the review Pokemaniac, loved it :)

I've not read the book, but it pretty much adheres to my thoughts on it. How odd, not having read it and to work it all out ;)

I'm currently reading S. Peterson's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters. Dug it out for Minor_Furie the other day and have nothing better to read for five minutes. It's not very good, but I like the pictures :)

Just finished reading the second book in the Hunger Games Trilogy, Catching Fire. A really good follow up to Hunger Games, had a lot of action and some things I definitely didn't expect. If you've read Hunger Games, you'll love Catching Fire. Read it. NOW!

10/10