What's new

What’s next for Phantasialand?

UP87

Mega Poster
Didn't hear anything about that. The land is owned by the state of NRW and they are arguing wether to sell it or not for years. I think the city updated the development plans for that area several years ago. The park doesn't plan any theme park attractions on that land though. Anyway it's still possible that moving some administrative offices to the new part would get the some are to develop the theme park.

Anyway... no new land bought at the moment.

migo315

Roller Poster
Anyway... no new land bought at the moment.

And very likely not in the coming years. Or what do you think?

I mean, "green" politics has become more and more important over the years. In my opinion, arguing the sale has become much more difficult than it was in the beginning. I don't expect any progress in the next years.

UP87

Mega Poster
Hard to say. Of course you can see that deforestation is not really loved by many Germans. As we saw in the last years especially if you want to clear the forest to mine for brown coal (which is just stupid by itself). On the other hand the Phantasialand area is not an old forest and an old lake. There was mining for brown coal in this area and the forest was planted afterwards. Anyway there are people who want to protect that area. Phantasialand would be forced to create a new forest somewhere else anyway.

I don't know what's going to be. When the current government of NRW got into office in 2017 I think their plan was to sell that land. But that didn't happen by now. I assume Phantasialand has some plans for that area but with the given uncertanty they have plans for the next decade without that land, as well.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's a topic for speculation about the park's future here, it's quite up-to-date and worth a read if you haven't done do already - probably best putting your questions/ideas in there ?
Yes, quite right Peet. I've moved the posts across to the latest thread I could find, but do let me know if there's another one. :)

Dar

Hyper Poster
I wonder if Phantasialand are running 2 investment plans side-by-side, a status quo one and one in case they get the expansion they want. They could run concurrently quite happily for a while, but at some point they're going to diverge. They might be going 'careful' at the minute so they don't block themselves in, just in case they get the land.

I imagine a denial would be disappointing but at least they'd have a concrete answer on what to plan and when

Peet

Giga Poster
Yes, quite right Peet. I've moved the posts across to the latest thread I could find, but do let me know if there's another one. :)
Ha oops I forgot to paste the link, had it on the clipboard and everything, glad you knew what I meant!

Personally I'd keep expectations a little lower for the next few years - they've just spent a fortune on a new area and taken a massive hit on income (like all parks around the World have) so I don't imagine they have much cash in the bank right now but could be wrong.

siglaze

Roller Poster
Hello, I’ve found good news. The state of Brühl has just accepted an extension of 18.5 hectares ! This is the January 3, 2021 article translated by Google Translate.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
If I'm understanding the translation, the council has agreed to the expansion and now they're going to sit down and work out where the park can expand? Or is there a development plan already agreed?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Hello, I’ve found good news. The state of Brühl has just accepted an extension of 18.5 hectares ! This is the January 3, 2021 article translated by Google Translate.

Is anyone able to confirm? If so what does this mean for the park realistically?

Rupert

Mega Poster
If I'm understanding the translation, the council has agreed to the expansion and now they're going to sit down and work out where the park can expand? Or is there a development plan already agreed?
As far as I can work out, they’ve agreed the full triangle west of the park (between the motorway junction, Wakoboto and Matamba), as well as a piece of land east of the China Town car parks?

I’ve attached a low-resolution map from the link @siglaze put above, with the green highlighted areas the expansion I think? Edit - I’m getting a server error every time I try attach the file?

Pretty huge area! I wonder if they’ll go ahead with the water park, rather than expanding the main dry park? As well as relocating Fantissima of course so they can demolish TOTNH’s building (which i of course learnt from @CSLKennyNI ’s great posts).

Dar

Hyper Poster
I can't see a date anywhere on that page that's more recent than 2015. Is this confirmation or just a restatement of what's happened so far in the process?

As far as I can work out, they’ve agreed the full triangle west of the park (between the motorway junction, Wakoboto and Matamba), as well as a piece of land east of the China Town car parks?

I’ve attached a low-resolution map from the link @siglaze put above, with the green highlighted areas the expansion I think? Edit - I’m getting a server error every time I try attach the file?

This image was in the moderation paper from 2015 showing what they planned to do, slightly higher res than the one on the council page :p :
LNojoS6.jpg

The park's in the middle, the proposal is in blue

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Yeah that is from 2015 when the moderation process with opposing parties was held. The town of Bruhl allows for the expansion however that doesn't solve it. They need the NRW State government to agree to sell the necessary land. Negotiations being still ongoing (according the last news update on it from July 2020*).

The areas highlighted in the picture above by Dar are the expansion plots which have been the subject of the debate since 2012 - when the government ruled out all Eastern expansion options (insisting Western expansion away from the town was the only way forwards) and the park accepted a compromise to reduce the amount of land they wanted.

It continues to be unclear whether Phantasialand can expand as hoped. Talks have been going on between the theme park and Ministry of the Environment for years. The sticking is the forest areas required by Phantasialand that belong to the state.

There is still no decision whether the state will sell the forest. The talks are ongoing, it was said from all sides. The Bruhl CDU member of the state parliament, Gregor Golland, is involved in the negotiations. He assumes that there will still be a result within this legislative period, i.e. in the next two years. (Next elections are in May 2022)
Phantasialand wants to grow by almost 20 hectares in order to remain competitive. A water park and hotel are planned on the new site. The Hotel Charles Lindbergh, which is currently under construction, does not change anything about that, according to Phantasialand.

siglaze

Roller Poster
The government said the decision is to the state. After multiple sessions of mediation the state of Brühl said yes to sell this lands to Phantasialand. And now the city of Brühl needs to organise plans with neighbours, and make sure Phantasialand take in consideration problems of noise, view, and environment. Ecologists are against and want to stop the selling. This is the situation. Now if we want to know more, I think the best solution to have real fresh informations is to ask to press relations : presse@phantasialand.de

Last edited:

UP87

Mega Poster
The state of Brühl doesn't exist. Brühl is only a city. The state is NRW. This is no update. There's nothing new on the linked page. Everything is the same way as it was when I last checked the page of the city. Their decision was made years ago. If the state of NRW doesn't sell the area in the west there can't be any meaningful update with the current plan.