• No, but I would be open to trying it

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
verybestsalvia said:
I have tried salvia lots of time. I don't understand why salvia is illegal in country. For me salvia is like a great medicine to relax and thinking. I am in favor of salvia. It should be legalized in our country.

Wow. This is either a very advanced spambot, or (more likely, given how the profile is filled out) a guy who've registered only to advertise his site. Google his location as given below his avatar. The fifth result is a website whose name exactly matches his screen name. Funnily enough, the second result is this topic.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It's proven that the reaction to alcohol is 100% physiological. It's not learned and it's not an inherited trait.
But the desire to drink is a learned trait. Plenty of people who don't actually enjoy being drunk do because it's so weird not to. It would make my life a hell of a lot easier if I could bare it.

The amount of people who get in a mess every single time they have a drink. Like, a serious mess... A mess spanning for days or weeks of stress, tears and regret. WHY do they keep drinking? Because it's normal. Because society says they should.

The effects of anything are only relevant when consuming or when an addiction has occurred. The rest of the time, it's about society.

And wow Taylor your mum has fibromyalgia...? Mind me being nosey... Have a friend who has it but kinda sees it as a bit of a curse because it kinda makes doctors give up investigating, since it's a bunch of symptoms with no known cause.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
It's proven that the reaction to alcohol is 100% physiological. It's not learned and it's not an inherited trait.
But the desire to drink is a learned trait. Plenty of people who don't actually enjoy being drunk do because it's so weird not to. It would make my life a hell of a lot easier if I could bare it.

So the solution is to ban alcohol?

It's also not that cut and dried. If you're one of the 10% who have a negative physiological reaction to it, then you're not going ever like it no matter how much you learn a "desire to drink" trait. There are about 25% I think there's a kind of flat-line - take it or leave it - reaction (madame_furie is like this). They only drink rarely and then they don't drink enough to drunk.

Joey said:
The amount of people who get in a mess every single time they have a drink. Like, a serious mess... A mess spanning for days or weeks of stress, tears and regret. WHY do they keep drinking? Because it's normal. Because society says they should.

That's normal in our society and a few others, but it's not normal across the world. The UK has a very poor attitude towards alcohol, but that doesn't mean it's the same everywhere. We keep on going around and around with this argument Joey :lol: In societies where alcohol is introduced to youngsters in a weak form and is used on a daily basis simply as "a drink", there is nowhere near the issue with alcohol abuse as we see over here and in the States. In countries where it's frowned upon to drink and seen as "something special" then it's abused, people get into the habit of abusing it.

So it is about society, but the issue is down to making it something that people see as risqué in some way rather than a normal part of life. It's stupid, destructive and pitiful; but the solution isn't to make society try to stop it, it's to make it acceptable in a different way.

We've been drinking alcohol in Europe as an alternative to water (in the working classes definitely) for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The practice only stopped roughly a hundred years ago. In most of Europe they've kept the idea though, but in the UK we've tried to stamp it out. You can't suddenly try to eradicate hundreds/thousands of years of societal attitude in such a short space of time without cocking it up, which is what has happened.

As for why some people keep on doing it even though it has dire consequences? I think some people want an excuse to behave in the way they really want to behave. They can use alcohol as an excuse to be their true selves and then take it back and say "it was the drink". Again, it's not a good thing (people should just try being themselves and being honest about it), but the door is open for them to do it, so why not? It's considered an acceptable excuse (which it isn't).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's me thinking this is a topic about marijuana, and yet here we are being moralised over by Joey's inexplicable "bring back prohibition" rants again.

I don't get why you just can't accept that some (a lot of) people like a drink. The vast majority of whom don't have a problem with it, don't spend weeks in "regret" or in "floods of tears" after it.

Your whole "society tells you to drink; that's why you do it" shtick is as incorrect and arrogant as it is boring. Change the **** ing record.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
So the solution is to ban alcohol?
No way. Banning would do **** because it's already reached that point. Weed hasn't. It's not the same.

It's also not that cut and dried. If you're one of the 10% who have a negative physiological reaction to it, then you're not going ever like it no matter how much you learn a "desire to drink" trait. There are about 25% I think there's a kind of flat-line - take it or leave it - reaction (madame_furie is like this). They only drink rarely and then they don't drink enough to drunk.
See I just don't agree. It's not that I have a negative reaction to it, It's just that I don't comprehend why the reaction is so sought after. I think I fall into the "take it or leave it" category. There is certainly alcoholic drinks I like, I drink occasionally, but it's the social construct around drinking that I don't like and avoid because it's, well, it's just horrible. I can't understand how madame_furie, for example, could be around that situation and not be immensely worked up. If that makes sense?

That's normal in our society and a few others, but it's not normal across the world. The UK has a very poor attitude towards alcohol, but that doesn't mean it's the same everywhere. We keep on going around and around with this argument Joey In societies where alcohol is introduced to youngsters in a weak form and is used on a daily basis simply as "a drink", there is nowhere near the issue with alcohol abuse as we see over here and in the States. In countries where it's frowned upon to drink and seen as "something special" then it's abused, people get into the habit of abusing it.

So it is about society, but the issue is down to making it something that people see as risqué in some way rather than a normal part of life. It's stupid, destructive and pitiful; but the solution isn't to make society try to stop it, it's to make it acceptable in a different way.

We've been drinking alcohol in Europe as an alternative to water (in the working classes definitely) for hundreds, if not thousands of years. The practice only stopped roughly a hundred years ago. In most of Europe they've kept the idea though, but in the UK we've tried to stamp it out. You can't suddenly try to eradicate hundreds/thousands of years of societal attitude in such a short space of time without cocking it up, which is what has happened.
Yeah, pretty much agree with all this. But you know this.

As for why some people keep on doing it even though it has dire consequences? I think some people want an excuse to behave in the way they really want to behave. They can use alcohol as an excuse to be their true selves and then take it back and say "it was the drink". Again, it's not a good thing (people should just try being themselves and being honest about it), but the door is open for them to do it, so why not? It's considered an acceptable excuse (which it isn't).
Heh. My mum seems to think that being drunk "brings out the real you", to which I always ask why the real her is so miserable and why Tony is still around.

A lot of people seem to think they are better when they are drunk, presumably because they are less shy... But what they never realise is that speaking your mind isn't always a good thing. These people are usually the kind who get angry, argumentative, talk absolute crap, cry, whine, demand attention, shout over everyone else, etc. Mother is one of them. She does it after one glass of wine. I know immediately if she's had one, because she starts to aggressively go "no no no no no..." to anything anyone says. But SHE thinks she's more confident and likeable. Confident, yes. But not in a good way.

So I guess I don't entirely agree there, but the principle is the same. People do tend to be a bit distrained from their perception of themselves. I guess that can be good, or bad, but I don't know anyone where I personally like it. Most people tend to make irrelevant, annoying, ****, nagging comments with that drunken laughy, mocking smile. It's disgusting, it really is. But apparently I'm the only one int he world bothered by it? I don't know what it is, I guess I don't like to not be taken seriously and I don't like my enthusiasm (for anything) mocked.

It's one of the reasons I don't like Tony. He's like this when he's sober, with the nagging mocking comments of irrelevance. Lol. It's hard to explain, but it's those kind of light hearted under your breath comments about the way someone else does something? Ya know what I mean...?

Here's me thinking this is a topic about marijuana, and yet here we are being moralised over by Joey's inexplicable "bring back prohibition" rants again.

I don't get why you just can't accept that some (a lot of) people like a drink. The vast majority of whom don't have a problem with it, don't spend weeks in "regret" or in "floods of tears" after it.

Your whole "society tells you to drink; that's why you do it" shtick is as incorrect and arrogant as it is boring. Change the ing record.
Feel free to change the subject, Gavin!

...No one else is!

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Yes, I must. As I see it, smoking is not only horrificly bad for your health, it's also a disgusting waste of money. And I'll make damn sure that any money I earn is spent on something worthwhile, whether it be food, bills, or (affordable) leisure.

marc

CF Legend
TP Rich said:
No, and I swear to God I will not smoke once during my lifetime.

I said the same thing, then I went to uni and started.

Yes it is a waste of money, but I don't drink so smoking is my only habit.

Now days many people don't smoke so it's probably not as easy to start, but when I was 20 near enough all my friends smoked.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ben said:
You sound like a right laugh, mate.
HEY, I'm a right laugh. >:C

...But I spend my money on other stupid **** which probably helps. Like theme parks. And excessive amounts of cake. And model dinosaurs. And Yankee Candles.

TP Rich... Evvverything is a "waste of money". I don't get the whole smoking drinking... thing, especially spending excessive amounts of money on it, but I'm damn sure other people feel the same way about plastic dinosaurs.

kimahri

CF Legend
Joey has a point. I don't drink or smoke either and I spend all my money on video games, manga, anime and other stupid japnese ****. I don't inhale or consume it but it's still a waste of money.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
It depends. Joey is really into it and those auctions can get pretty violent.

390786274v4_460x460_Front.jpg

Ahem... yeah.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
TP Rich said:
Good point, but at least collecting dinosaurs doesn't shorten your life dramatically.

Neither does the odd joint? Unless you have a genetic susceptibility to carcinogens, in which case you'll probably be shortening your life dramatically by doing things like eating bread, or breathing.

It's also recently been proven that drinking a few units of alcohol a day (a couple of glasses of wine kind of thing) can massively reduce your chances of heart disease. Though drinking more than that in one go increases the chance :lol:

It's all about moderation :)

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
^ That's only if you try the stuff in the first place. Don't know about you, but I really don't need it to have fun.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You also don't need roller coasters in your life to have fun, but you do...

If you'd never been on a roller coaster, you wouldn't understand why other people got enjoyment from them "I don't need to go on roller coasters to have fun". Until you've experienced something, you can't understand why somebody else may enjoy it.

Having said that, some people try roller coasters and hate them, same with everything, everyone reacts differently.

Fair play if you want to live a pure life, no drink, no drugs, no hedonistic sexual pleasure - it's up to you, you're life you live it how you want. It doesn't make you superior though to anyone who does find these things fun/interesting/pleasurable/etc ;)