What's new

Walibi Weekend

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
At the moment, @Slamming Coastercore and I don't get to see each other very often. We've both started big new full time jobs, I'm also writing 2 albums, playing shows and rehearsing with the band in a different city every weekend. Why yes, "hectic" is indeed the word you're looking for.

When my band rehearsals got cancelled last minute on Bank Holiday weekend, Alex and I had an idea: let's stop being ships in the night, lets board a ship in the night instead!

As our ferry trundled across to Calais, I stood on the deck, smiled to my teenage vampire self and uttered "I wanted those waters to be blue...but they were black."

Screenshot_20220903-105018_Gallery.jpg

Speaking of vampires, one sleep + a 2 hour drive and we were face to face with one. A Vekoma SLC by the name of Vampire to be precise. Welcome to Walibi Belgium.

We visited Walibi Belgium last year and got stuck at the top of Kondaas lift hill for AGES. It's a real testament to suffer a massive panic attack at a park and still want to go back there with no trepidation.

Fast forward 11 months, and we were skipping up to it's endearingly hideous entrance again.

Screenshot_20220903-105049_Gallery.jpg

We immediately purchased the excellent value Ultimate Speedy Pass (€45 for unlimited speedy pass for the majority of rides, including 1 x go on Kondaa)

Now we were ready for a day of serious competition on the shooty dark rides. The weather was warm but overcast, with dark clouds looming in the sky. This is my favourite theme park weather, I love a moody cloudy backdrop to a ride.

Screenshot_20220903-105341_Gallery.jpg

It would be rude not to ride Kondaa first though, wouldn't it? Wow. This beast was running so much better. Heaps of sustained airtime, relentless speed. Taking every element with such aggression and grace. Truly one of the angriest of Intamins. You only get 1 Speedy Pass for Kondaa, so we queued for about 30 minutes on our first ride and decided to save the Speedy Pass for when the queue got bigger. A wise move.

The story of Kondaa is tragic: villagers attacking a mummy Kondaa and stealing her egg, then torturing the egg. I really appreciate how this mural conveys the entire story before you enter the ride station:

Screenshot_20220903-105453_Gallery.jpg

Needless to say, Kondaa has shot back up into my rankings. Where though? I'm still pondering that. The more coasters you ride, the harder they are to rank. It's definitely a complete package ride for me though. The theme, the station, the story, the music and the ride experience itself all tie together perfectly in one dark, aggressive package. If Kondaa was a musical genre, it would clearly be Metal. (Perhaps that's why I love it haha)

Screenshot_20220903-105202_Gallery.jpg

Okay, it's bold statement time: Walibi Belgium is one of the best parks in Europe.

There's just so much to do and the line up has great variety.

- 2 fantastic, modern shooty dark rides

- The most thrilling water ride (Pulsar)

- High quality mine train

- One of the best drop towers (my beloved Dalton Terror)

- AIRTIME (Kondaa)

- A gorgeously themed family coaster (Tiki Waka)

- Brilliant rapids and log flume with cool effects

- Well-themed mad house

- A classic Schwarzkopf, enclosed with awesome lights

You don't even need to go anywhere near the Vekomas in this park to be entertained. I think the fact that we have been twice in the space of 12 months, with Speedy Passes both times, and never ran out of things to do speaks volumes. Also, many of the areas are beautifully themed. So many rides here are highly re-ridable too.

Enough of the enthusiasm, now let's get to the thing that really matters: who won on the shooty dark rides?

Screenshot_20220903-105408_Gallery.jpg

Well, we rode Popcorn Revenge twice. Alex won both. We rode Tutankhamen four times, Alex won 3 of those. And now let's never speak of it again.

If you haven't been to WB before, note that Challenge of Tutankhamen, (despite it's fairly unassuming entrance) is a v. high calibre dark ride. Expect fire effects, insane projections, amazing animatronics. Plus, it's trackless and you get a different ending room depending on how highly your car scores. Love it. Do not skip this ride!

Screenshot_20220903-113927_Gallery.jpg

Other noteworthy things from WB: the kebabs from stand near Dalton Terror are delicious. For €7 they really fill you up and felt like such good value for theme park food.

Launching in a massive lumbering boat on Pulsar is, and will always be, hilarious. Sit in the middle and you won't get wet so you can ride multiple times.

I rode many big drop towers in the States this year, but I'm pleased to report that Dalton Terror is still my favourite. It's just so floaty 😍 Was pleased to get a healthy 4 rides in on this visit.

Screenshot_20220903-105134_Gallery.jpg

All in all, we had a brilliant time at Walibi Belgium. It was one of those theme park days where I just didn't stop smiling. Ride count:
Kondaa x 3
Challenge of Tutankhamen x 4
Popcorn Revenge x 2
Pulsar x 2
Dalton Terror x 4
Khali Rapids x 1
Flash Back (log flume) x 1
Calamity Mine x 1

The Vekomas didn't even get a look in! (P.S.Exotic World area is unofficially Crash Bandicoot themed, right?)

Now, I'm not going to split this report into seperate posts for each park day because I want the contrast to really shine through in one read.

----‐--‐----------------------------------------

Walibi Holland.

Ugh.

You may believe that the mascot for Walibi is this friendly guy. Do not be fooled. He is merely a secondary character, the proverbial Goofy to Mickey Mouse.

Screenshot_20220903-105704_Gallery.jpg

The Official Mascot of Walibi Holland is this:

Screenshot_20220903-110125_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's Waspibi!

Let me tell you, Waspibi puts in a long shift. He makes appearances everywhere! He wants to meet and greet every single guest in the park multiple times!

Sometimes I even wondered if there was more than one person being Waspibi at the same time in different areas of the park. Otherwise, how did he get from the Untamed queue to the Goliath queue so fast? Perhaps there's multiple employees shrinking down through the quantum realm and donning a tiny wasp suit, as opposed to just one. Clearly, I didn't give it too much thought. It's just a guy in a costume after all.

The day started well with a waffle swimming in chocolate sauce and a nice chat with the guy at Waffle Stand about the new Meathook solo horror experience coming to Walibi Holland Fright Night this year. I relished every single gory detail he provided, and then it began...

the sadness. The sadness of not being at Walibi Holland during Fright Nights.

Everywhere we went in the park I found myself reminiscing about the incredible scare zones, effects and mazes that would have been in those spaces. I wondered if the lack of Halloween stuff was contributing to my overall disappointment with the park on this visit, but Alex, (who has never been to Walibi Halloween) expressed the same disappointment.

"Is it just me, or have we run out of things to do?" he asked, very early on in the day. (Note we didn't even buy fast pass for this day)

We rode Untamed 5 times (and I have the bruises to show for it), Goliath 3 times, Space Shot 3 times, Lost Gravity, Log Flume and the mad house.

Untamed is great, the 270° Double Inverting Stall is glorious. (I wonder why they haven't built more of that inversion?) But the second half has too many short sharp stupid little painful hills which prevent me being able to ride it over and over again. I much prefer an RMC with huge drawn out elements like Zadra.

Goliath is solid, some really good airtime. I prefer it to EGF.

Lost Gravity has aged badly. We used the single rider line, walked straight on, but my car full of guest were eerily quiet throughout the whole ride. It was a strange experience.

Space shot is fun but not thrilling. By lunch time, we were killing time. Wondering around aimlessly, getting ice cream and riding stupid stuff like the Splash Battle - where we got absolutely drenched. Oh great, now I'm soaking wet AND bored.

This park really needs a dark ride, something to add variety to the day. I won't be back until they build the single rail RMC, and even then, it's Fright Nights or nothing now. Sure, the park has 2 decent coasters, but it really lacks atmosphere and variety.

Thanks for reading! When you experience Walibi Belgium and Walibi Holland back to back it really highlights the stark contrast in quality between both parks. All hail the King of the Walibis...Walibi Belgium!

Last edited:
A great recounting as always @Serena! I would add that unlike Serena I still absolutely adore ALL of Untamed and could have quite happily ridden it till close. Then again I don't bruise as easily from airtime 😅

I do agree mostly with Serena's statements though. With Kondaa and Popcorn Revenge, Walibi Belgium has been elevated into one of the most well-rounded parks in Europe. Bar having a good wooden coaster, there is a high quality ride of almost every type. Yes, they could have more coasters, but there is already so much fun to be had with the existing lineup!

As Serena also mentioned, Walibi Holland feels a little bare in comparison. Aside from Untamed and Goliath there was only one other part of the park that I really enjoyed, that being the pre-show for Merlin's Magic Castle. Despite being in Dutch, the video that plays before you enter the madhouse itself is ****ing hilarious 😂 The way it's edited looks like they have Merlin going through some psychotic trip, his movements looking almost animated. Some of the ways he moves with the edits honestly look like he could be a boss in a video game (please make my dreams come true Elden Ring modders ❤️). Merlin's Magic Castle is yet another Madhouse with a superior pre-show to the ride itself, but it's so god damn worth it 😂

James F

Hyper Poster
Great report! Walibi Belgium is definitely underrated, it's actually really well themed and I was shocked at the quality of what people might consider secondary rides such as the Rapids.

I am going to Walibi Holland this October for the first time and while I think on paper it looks like a Dutch version of Thorpe Park (not a bad thing for me) I am thinking the better coaster collection might level it out in terms of quality, but outside of the coasters Belgium is definitely the more well rounded park.

Matt N

CF Legend
Great report @Serena!

Interesting thoughts. I must admit, I’m glad to see Walibi Belgium getting a little more attention as of late; I always thought it came across a bit short changed compared to Walibi Holland in the years prior to the big facelift and the installation of Kondaa, but it does seem to be getting a bit more love these days, which is nice! I’ve never been, but it looks like a really nice park, and I must say that Kondaa is a coaster I very much like the look of!

It’s interesting how different the two Walibi parks actually are in spite of their shared brand name; Walibi Belgium looks a bit more family-orientated, with a slightly more rounded ride selection, while Walibi Holland looks like more of a thrill-focused coaster paradise.

It’s a shame to hear you didn’t overly like Lost Gravity. I remember everyone being so hyped about that ride when it opened, and I remember some very superlative reviews for it too!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I wonder if they'll ever get a handle on their wasp issue, or if they're even bothered by it over there.
I dread to think what that huge music festival there is like for them :eek:

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I am going to Walibi Holland this October for the first time and while I think on paper it looks like a Dutch version of Thorpe Park (not a bad thing for me) I am thinking the better coaster collection might level it out in terms of quality, but outside of the coasters Belgium is definitely the more well rounded park.

Have a fantastic time! In my opinion, Thorpe Park is way better than Walibi Holland, but I agree - they do have similar vibes in the hipstery ways they aim for the older thrill crowd (so. many. Insta. walls!)
It’s interesting how different the two Walibi parks actually are in spite of their shared brand name; Walibi Belgium looks a bit more family-orientated, with a slightly more rounded ride selection, while Walibi Holland looks like more of a thrill-focused coaster paradise.

It’s a shame to hear you didn’t overly like Lost Gravity. I remember everyone being so hyped about that ride when it opened, and I remember some very superlative reviews for it too!

Thanks @Matt N :) Walibi Holland is v. far from a coaster paradise in my opinion. It's got 2 decent coasters (Untamed and Goliath), but so has Walibi Belgium! (Kondaa and Pulsar)

Yeah, I rode Lost Gravity in its opening year and it graced my Top 10 at the time! I think the combination of having ridden many more coasters since, and the coaster not aging well is what led to the disappointing ride on this trip.

I wonder if they'll ever get a handle on their wasp issue, or if they're even bothered by it over there.
I dread to think what that huge music festival there is like for them :eek:
The majority of the crowd IS wasps, with glitter under their little bug eyes and tiny flower crowns on their antennae. Heard they're gonna get W.A.S.P. to headline next year ;)

Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed reading my report 😊

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah, I rode Lost Gravity in its opening year and it graced my Top 10 at the time! I think the combination of having ridden many more coasters since, and the coaster not aging well is what led to the disappointing ride on this trip.
I pretty much agree, It wasn't so great on my last visit either, and only rode it for the first time in 2018 (I think) It seems to be aging like a Eurofighter sadly. I still enjoyed it, but it had lost it's shine a little.

The majority of the crowd IS wasps, with glitter under their little bug eyes and tiny flower crowns on their antennae. Heard they're gonna get W.A.S.P. to headline next year ;)

Must... Resist... Dad... Joke... Can't... Resist!!!

Is Sting subbing?

MartyNZ

Roller Poster
I found wasps all over Europe parks quite strange being from New Zealand. We have them here, but way more bees. So many annoying wasps at most parks. I think they were even at Energylandia and Legendia. I think Tripsdrill around the bins were the most annoying for me when wanting to eat my fake dipping dots.

"Challenge of Tutankhamen", I actually skipped this since it had a big wait and I wanted to focus on marathoning Kondaa. Sounds like i skipped a great ride which is a shame! Got 10 rides in total on Kondaa though and it was amazing. Top 5 Europe coaster for me. Untamed was up there for me too.

Of my whole Europe trip, the only coasters that spited me were Lost Gravity and Formula X. Out of 140 coasters, it's pretty good going, however Lost Gravity being closed did hurt!

Zadra,Hyperion,Untamed,Kondaa,Taron... there's no room for Ride of Happiness in there.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Thanks for this report. Always nice to hear such great reviews from Walibi Belgium.

About Walibi Holland...I always thought it was one of the most overrated parks in Europe. Yes, it has Untamed and it has Goliath. But all that is left after those two rides is a bland, boring and ugly park. When I had my last visit in 2019, it just felt like faded glory. I loved it as a Six Flags park, it was nice as Walibi World but nowadays it is just one of those parks you might visit when you are in the neighbourhood.

As for Walibi Belgium, always had a soft spot for the park, I found it being underrated for a very long time. And I can see why many people thought it was just a 'meh' park. But being a Walibi Belgium fan myself it is just amazing to see how hard Walibi Belgium has been working to achieve their goal to become one of the better ones in Europe. So great to hear their 100.000.000 EUR investmentplan will kick off again in 2023 and can't wait to see how that is going to turn out!