What's new

Walibi Belgium ready for its transformation!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't get the shuttle coaster thing. They've got three, each of which is a fundamentally different experience (launch into loop, reverse chain pull, water ride with volley launch).

Yes, they've only got three shuttle coasters, but have a look at the non-shuttle coasters: A woodie from 2001, a Vekoma SLC from 1999, a mine train and a kiddy coaster, which is due to close. Their previous stint with coasters before their latest shuttle was pimping up the old shuttle from 1982, and the previous one before then was a shuttle as well. In other words, of the four latest grand coaster openings at the park, three were shuttles and one was closed after operating normally for a period best measured in hours. At any rate, three shuttle rides in a line-up of seven is pretty excessive.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
I must say, when Pulsar was announced, I had the exact same thing as anybody else. Another Shuttle Coaster. Walibi Belgium was known for a park that actually never invested in their park. The latest big addition to the park was the Sally dark-ride Challenge of Tutankhamon in 2003. Or at least, the last proper ride. They did have SpongeBob SquarePants 4D in 2005, but I think that one wasn't worth to be mentioned. They had some major renovations in 2007 and 2010, there was Vertigo in 2008 (but I think it is better to forget this one). They had Aqualibi, the waterpark, completely renovated in 2011 and of course, Psyké Underground in 2013.

So when they finally had the chance to open a brand new ride after 13 years, I found it very strange that they chose another Shuttle Coaster. I thought this Power Splash might be ideal for other CDA-parks, such as Bellewaerde Park, Walibi Holland or Walibi Rhône-Alpes. Not Walibi Belgium, the park that already had 3 shuttle coasters.

However, after I was at the Pulsar World Premier Event, I had to change my mind. Pulsar is such a different experience that both other shuttles in the park. Many people thought the same way as almost everybody, but 90% of the reviews from Pulsar are sort of...raving! Maybe you should try it before judging it?

Ben

CF Legend
Yayy thank God I got the cred.

And people joke about them adding **** tonnes of shuttles cause it's funny?

peep

CF Legend
I just watched a live stream without audio, looks like... (so some of it could be a little wrong)

2018:
New waterpark expansion
New tiki themed area where kiddy coaster used to be?
New family rollercoaster (looked like a Gerst or Mack bob)

2019:
New park entrance
New kiddy coaster (Bollywood theme)
New rethemed area where boomerang is
Revolving theatre
Restaurants

2020:
Far West retheme
New Mack Twist and splash ride

2021:
Vampire and Werewolf creds getting makeover (New Orleans theme)
New mega coaster (looked like a hyper of some sort) - African theme in new land expansion

Something was mentioned about 2022/2023 but was audio only. Will keep an eye out for images and more details.

Last edited:

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
This is fantastic news.
Some concept art from: https://www.coasterfriends.de/forum...gien-investiert-ueber-100-millionen-euro.html

9477216d1498126035-exotic-hd.jpg

9477215d1498126035-exotic-vierkant.jpg

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Hmm hyper looks like a Mack, was hoping for a Vekoma similar to the one proposed at Energylandia! Never thought I'd take a Vekoma over a Mack!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^It'd make sense to be a Mack considering that they've had some pretty solid business the past year(Pulsar and LG).

Looks like an amazing plan! All of the additions seem very solid, and the rethemes all sound like they can be very well done. I'm excited to see how this will all turn out!

balrog

Mega Poster
Well, Intamin are not known for putting successive large camelbacks in the beginning of their megas, but if the park asked for it ...
Anyway, we live in a time when every major manufacturer is good at about anything they do. Whoever ends up building this will probably build an awesome ride.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm intrigued but not excited. My excitement is focused on Poland and Icon right now. Give it 3 years and I'll be excited about the hyper here.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
For those who are interested: some more details about the major transformation of Walibi Belgium.

People thought Pulsar was an investment in the park and probably the last one for several years were wrong. Walibi has alot of plans and will invest over 100.000.000 EUR in the park. The biggest investment since Walibi Wavre opened on July 26th 1975. Not only a brand new ride every year till 2023, but also a major retheme, covering 75% of the park.

Worlds of Walibi
As I said before, Walibi Belgium will open a new ride every year. Besides the new rides (10 new rides, including 3 new rollercoasters), the park will also focus on the all-round experience, such as theming, decorations and experience, with a total of 75% of the park being rethemed and renewed. Eight themed zones, some complete new ones, other ones renewed under the name 'Worlds of Walibi'. Each zone will get its specific theme, aswell as a themed 'W' refering to 'Worlds of Walibi'. The park will also focus on interactivity and entertainment as well as foods and beverages.

thumb_c1bc3c7fd6dd01bbf23a050710afabc5_660_300_0.jpg

New rides, every year!

For 2018, the back of the park, where dark ride Challenge of Tutankhamon is located, will be the first zone to be renewed. The former Caribbean zone will become an exotic Tiki-style zone. First novelty will be a brand new family rollercoaster, probably a Gerstlauer Bobsled Coaster, though this is not confirmed yet by te park. The ride will be located at the former location of the Coccinelle kiddie coaster, which will be moved to the former location of the ferris wheel, right in front of Werewolf. Also new is some kind of survival trail above and around Gold River Adventure and a restaurant adapted to the overall theme of the Tiki-zone.

Walibi's waterpark Aqualibi will be expanded with a 700 m² kiddie area. The waterpark will have a total surface of 7000 m² and will be the biggest waterpark of the Benelux. The waterpark will get a complete Caribbean retheme aswell.

One ride will leave the park for good, which is the parks train; Walibi Express.

This year will be the most crucial year for the park in this total transformation of the park. Three zones will be renewed in 2019: the parks entrance, the Indian/Ali Baba zone of the park and Walibi Playland.

The Indian zone of the park will become somekind of Bollywood/Indian retheme. First novelty of 2019 will be a revolving theater, where visitors will be introduced to the 'Worlds of Walibi', aswell as a Bollywood themed restaurant, with a large terrace by the banks of the lake.

The kiddie zone of the park will be made more open, as it is now pretty isolated from the rest of the park. In front of the Walibi Playland, a kiddie coaster will open to introduce little kids to rollercoasters.

The last step for 2019 will be the transformation of the parks entrance. Ticket boxes will be removed and replaced with a prominent giant 'W', refering to Worlds of Walibi. There will be free acces to the parks enterance all year round. At this new plaza, visitors can choose to visit Walibi or Aqualibi.

Last but not least for 2019 is the removal of the Pizza Solo restaurant and Jeux Monaco arcade, to make room for a huge Italian/carnival themed 'experience restaurant', using the buffet concept and a terrace with views on the lake.

In 2020, its up to the Western area of the park. Western theme will remain, but will get a huge retheme. Between the Country Cantina and Gold River Adventure, a brand new interactive water ride will open, a Twist'n'Splash, probably from Mack. Some interactive elements and playgrounds will open there aswell.

Probably the biggest addition in this giant transformation: the football and tennisfields located behind the park will become a brand new African zone, including the biggest rollercoaster in the park: a brand new Mega/Hypercoaster. What do we know yet about this rollercoaster? It will become the heighest and fastest rollercoaster in the Benelux, leaving Goliath in Walibi Holland far behind. Fun fact: only two or three rollercoasters in Europe will be higher and faster. Another familyride and African restaurant will open in this zone aswell.

But that's not it: a path will be built between Werewolf and Vampire to connect both 'horror themed' rollercoasters into one zone. This new themed area will get a New Orléans/Voodoo theme

2022/2023
The final step in this transformation will be the creation of a harbor-themed zone around FlashBack logflume, Psyké Underground and Pulsar. A brand new familyride will open in this zone aswell, as a second expansion for the Aqualibi waterpark, featuring several new adult slides.

To see pictures of each and every new zone and more concept-arts:
http://pretparken.be/NL/article/179...ibi Belgium bekend met tien nieuwe attracties

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Thanks for this extensive summary @KristofWB! It's very exciting to see such ambitious and comprehensive plans to be announced, especially for Walibi Belgium which has been neglected for over a decade. I'm quite impressed that they're not just adding gimmicky coaster prototypes but really going for solid rides as well as significantly improving the scenery. Sounds like some truly good park management!

It will become the heighest and fastest rollercoaster in the Benelux, leaving Goliath in Walibi Holland far behind. Fun fact: only two or three rollercoasters in Europe will be higher and faster.

So if I take the more conservative estimate, WB's hyper would be above 73m (240ft) which is the height of both Silver Star and Karnan. Only Shambhala, Energylandia's Intamin Mega and Red Force would be taller. That's considerably more than Goliath WH's 46m (151ft) indeed! I never thought a coaster of that scale would come to Walibi Belgium. Is is really possible with all the neighbourhood always complaining about noise though?

What an ambitious statement the park's management is making anyway!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
So happy they are going the extra mile to make this park look amazing. I couldn't ask more from them (apart from to ditch that frightening and skinny mascot).