What's new

Vertical Loops on Flyers

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Why don't flying coasters use traditional vertical loops?

B&M usually use pretzel loops, which are pretty much just vertical loops upside-down. Starry Night Ripper and the Vekoma Flying Dutchmen DO have vertical loops, but they all have a fly-to-lie before the inversion. Why do fliers not just go straight through a loop and have riders face the sky at the apex? Does it have something to do with the forces that make it impossible to do correctly, or do parks just not want normal vertical loops?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Vertical Loops on Fliers

Imagine the tremendous positive g-forces you experience on a pretzel loop or inward facing loop, and then flip them 180 degrees. B&M Flyer restraints are comfy, but I don't know about being pushed into them at 3+ G's.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Ah, I hadn't thought about being pushed against the restraints rather than the seats...That seems really obvious now :oops:

spicy

Giga Poster
The loop would have to be HUGE and drawn out so much I should imagine which makes it barely possible to do. Even then it would still be uncomfortable.

To be honest Starry Night Ripper does things that I never thought we would ever see on a B&M flyer so you never know. It still wont happen though :lol: