What's new

Vekoma New-Gen Coasters Discussion Thread

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Hi all, I've just made a realization. I came across this photo:-
vekoma-mk1101-train.jpg

I then realized that all the new-gen Vekoma coasters are all technically the Vekoma MK 1101 coaster, but with different layout configurations. So the Bermuda Blitz, Space Warp, Firestorm, etc; are just MK 1101 coasters but with different standard layouts, so basically like the MK 1200 model. So I guess we could start calling them by their technical term and not as a "new gen" Vekoma.

Oh, and to give this topic a real purpose, which parks do you think could likely receive one of these coasters in the future? I could see Cedar Fair installing one at a park or two. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
They would be a great fit for parks like ValleyFair, WoF, and Dorney, but I were to choose one location for the first in the CF chain, I'd say Canada's Wonderland where Skyrider used to be.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Isn't MK1101 the model of the train rather than the coaster? I genuinely don't know, I'm just basing it on that picture :)
I think so, but isn't it really a model of coaster, which includes the Bermuda Blitz, Firestorm, etc? I mean, Boomerangs aren't MK 1200s and they have the same track style track and trains.

Peet

Giga Poster
Hmm the MK 1200 was so called because it had 1200mm between track ties, I wonder if the mk 1101 has 1101mm!
These look like great coasters for smaller parks, Flamingo Land or the Walibi parks would be likely candidates as they already have some Vekomas.
It will be interesting to see if they come up with a "new gen boomerang".

Lofty

CF Legend
are just different layouts but with different standard layouts.
I found this quite confusing anyway, but this sentence tipped me over the edge.

In my opinion, we should call whatever coaster, or layout, the term that the manufacturer does, as they really do know their own products best?

In terms of parks that could get them? I really wouldn't be too shocked if either Drayton Manor or Flamingoland bought one in the future.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
In my opinion, we should call whatever coaster, or layout, the term that the manufacturer does, as they really do know their own products best?

I think that's a good idea, but it would quickly get confusing if different manufacturers call comparable coasters by different names. At some point, you kind of have to introduce a common term for them. Coaster taxonomy is a complicated science, and ideally we want it to be simple enough for newbie enthusiasts to follow it as well... ;)

And what I think ATI is trying to say is that Vekoma might have created a ride system using a standard set of hardware, and then pre-designed a few layouts that can be ordered off-the-shelf, and given those layouts different names. Just like the pre-built coasters that come readily made in all the RCT games. The difference between a Bermuda Blitz, a Firestorm, and a Space Warp would be the same as the difference between Mango Muncher, Chocolate Log or Crazy Caterpillar: all of them are just different off-the-shelf layouts of the same coaster model, which could also be used for custom layouts.

Anyway, parks where these could be built... maybe Kolmården could get one?

Zwoopaman

Roller Poster
So we currently know of the following layouts/models.

Bermuda blitz:
13735730_1801127973506782_7241232824471206273_o.jpg

Space Warp:
vekoma-space-warp-launch-coaster-layout.jpg

Hyper Space Warp (lift hill / extended version of the Space Warp model):
C0W2pKNXUAAG7JO.jpg

Firestorm:
veky1.jpg

Shockwave:
shockwave3_0.jpg

Skydash (mega coaster):
megacoaster_vekoma_1.png

Tbh they all look great. I think some local parks here in the Benelux could do with something like a Spacewarp. Bobbejaanland for instance.
The mega coaster (custom model) could be the right fit for Walibi Belgium in 2021 or Toverland when they decide to go for their mega coaster.
If I'd have to pick a favorite model I'd go for the Firestorm or Bermuda Blitz.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Just to clear up the numbering system here. The track used on these is 1100mm in width. This is the distance from the center of one rail to the other.
As mentioned before the older MK1200 rides have 1200mm between the center of the rails.

Then the Vekoma trains take different model numbers based on the track they use. Taking the first 2 numbers of the track system then a number which designates the train type.
For example SLC trains are MK1201 and new Boomerang trains are MK1210.

This system also now occurs with the newer MK1100 track system. So the MK1101 trains seen at the top are the sitdown trains which use the new track system. The flying version that will be seen on F.L.Y will be MK1102 trains.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I found this quite confusing anyway, but this sentence tipped me over the edge.

In terms of parks that could get them? I really wouldn't be too shocked if either Drayton Manor or Flamingoland bought one in the future.

Flamingo is gagging for one. The place is due a new coaster, and it's something I can actually see Flamingoland spending on, unlike the forever rumoured GCI. Perhaps even Tayto park, this would be a solid first steel coaster for them and it would achieve the same as some bigger investments for a much more modest price.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Is it me or does the Shockwave model look a bit like Icon's train and track design even the logo in the imagine looks kinda similar to Icon's.

How strange. Unless Vekoma were asked to design Icon and they kept their design...

Lofty

CF Legend
Is it me or does the Shockwave model look a bit like Icon's train and track design even the logo in the imagine looks kinda similar to Icon's.

How strange. Unless Vekoma were asked to design Icon and they kept their design...
Funnily enough, Vekoma did tender the project (Icon) and didn't get it. Their layout was quite different and it had another launch over by the Go Karts Track where the train would stop, then launch again from static. The layout was really cool and to be honest, I'd have been quite happy with it.

Intamin also apparently pitched an idea similar to Taron, but with absolutely no theming items, terrain interaction or ride interaction, so PBB decided against it and went with Mack instead.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
as far as the 2nd and 3rd shockwave concept art goes. the Amikoo one I've heard is now going to be a Mack and the Istanbul park had been moved to a new location since that art came out and I guess may have changed. It's been quiet in that park for ages.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Wait, Something just confused me.

Are the names separate layouts of the same coaster model or are they different models of coaster all together?

Eg Bermuda Blitz is the beyond vertical drop coaster and Firestorm is the launch coaster.