What's new

Valhalla effects

cp23

Mega Poster
I went on Valhalla for the first time a couple of weeks ago and have been told that rarely do all the effects work, so I was just wondering whether I may have missed out on any. I rode it 3 times over 2 days and noticed the following minor differences between each ride:

- On one ride the tunnel surrounding the first lift hill was rotating, on one other ride it definitely wasn't.
- First time I went on it there was dialogue up the first lift hill (which wasn't easy to hear), the other two times there was no dialogue to be heard with the exception of 'Enter Valhalla' at the top

- The flames near the end did not erupt on one of the rides (although they did on the other two)

What effects commonly don't work? I'm just curious as to whether I got the 'complete experience', as it were.

alexr

Hyper Poster
The effects on that ride are realy unreliable.
Thats why its set for a major refurb in september including more reliable effects and removal of the backwards drop.

Lofty

CF Legend
Basically, ANY effects you see in there may not work the next time. It's not just BPB this happens to, (although it does happen a lot there) It can happen at any park. It's just look, and good maintenance.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
alexr said:
The effects on that ride are realy unreliable.
Thats why its set for a major refurb in september including more reliable effects and removal of the backwards drop.

More info/source on this? I'm interested!

cp23

Mega Poster
I keep reading about a vortex that's supposed to be in there, not sure I saw that, whereabouts is it?

Edit: oh, it's the water tunnel after the first drop, I had some kind of whirlpool in mind when I read 'vortex'. The water tunnel was working, and got us incredibly wet.

Also, apparently there should be snow in the ice room, there definitely wasn't when we went on it. How often does the snow work?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
Having a backwards drop is kinda fun, but they will be able to increase the throughput massively if they get rid of it.

Although increased number of boats going through = Effects needing to be used more than before = More power and gas (for fire) needed = Blackpool removing effects.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Will the throughput be increased though? I mean, it's a constant conveyor belt, the boats can't move through the station any quicker. The only thing that will happen is they will take some boats off so they don't clog up, but they haven't ran all of them the past few times I've been anyway.

I love the unreliability of Valhalla! But it would make a much better attraction if everything worked all the time.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I hadn't really thought of that, although I'm sure there would be ways of getting around it. Either speeding the conveyor up a little, or removing it all together and loading the boats whilst they are static.

Faster dispatch would also require better loading procedure..batching gates? Hmm.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the ride.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
alexr said:
Try this
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewt ... m=bickopbb
And this
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewt ... m=bickopbb
The ride is looking quite bad now and is in need for a refurb.

That's not really a source, it's link a link to a different person on a different forum giving information without a source, so I'm quite skeptical.

At first I thought they probably wont inject a huge amount of money into it (which is what it needs) the same year as a massive £10 million project (Nickelodeon Land, obviously).
Then I thought that the only reason they might do this is as Nickelodeon Land will no doubt attract thousands of people and the Pleasure Beach might be wanting the guests to experience Valhalla at ts best. Because that ride can be incredible, but rarely is.

A

Anonymous

Well changes to the ride were rumoured to be taking place this month, but with Beaver Creek getting all the attention of the contractors with Magic Mountain closing on Monday, I can only wonder if some will work on Valhalla as a separate thing or if Valhalla isn't included at all. There may be some minor changes made during closed season, but i'm guessing that's all that will happen in 2010.

rickydoodle

Roller Poster
List of effects;

From memory the complete list of effects/props are these, in this order;

Current / Past

• Track waterfall on first bend (stops as you pass under)
  • Head on left hand side on second bend (now upstairs, replaced by access platform)
  • Blood eagles on right hand side
  • Three headed dog on right hand side
  • Rat above dripping warm water
  • Fire either side of track above
  • Rotating cylinders around lift (they used to contain fiber optics)
  • Odin figure with projected face "Enter Valhalla", "Leave your senses in the hands of the Gods" etc etc
  • Boat bounces / lighting flash
  • Rain effect from rear
  • Odin wall image with flashing lights on right
  • Boat head figures with UV lighting (added later, not 2000 original)
  • Head straight ahead wit flashing eyes (from downstairs)
  • River of fire (either side of the boat)
  • Waterfalls over rock work (either side of the boat)
  • Turn table one
  • Backwards drop
  • On ride photo
  • Turn table two
  • Ice room (with two ice cannons & wind tunnel). Statues have lasers for eyes.
  • Drop 2
  • Mist on drop, blue/purple coloured
  • Viking longboat on right, illuminates as you pass
  • Water vortex
  • Two water explosions
  • Waterfall appears & stops before boat passes under
  • Lift 2 - with sound effects
  • Skull chandelier above boat
  • Flame diablo
  • Lighting effect (with lights on roof)
  • Thor's hammer with water splash
  • Flamingo arrows
  • Rolling log
  • Tesla coil
  • Strobe & sound effects
  • Drop 2 (double down)
  • Flaming river
  • Fire arch
  • Fire 1 (with burning wood effect)
  • Fire 2
  • Exploding ship wreck
  • Projection effect
  • Fire explosion (fire 3)
  • Water explosion 1 (indoor)
  • Water explosion 2 (outdoor)

I may have missed some.

Rick.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I wish I'd had the chance to ride it when it still had the tesla coil, I've heard it looked a bit rubbish/not obvious that it was meant to be lightening.

I'm sure the on ride photo is just before the end of the ride?

rickydoodle

Roller Poster
Danzibarr said:
I wish I'd had the chance to ride it when it still had the tesla coil, I've heard it looked a bit rubbish/not obvious that it was meant to be lightening.
It looked pretty cool and its unreliability works in its favour in the end as you would pass it expecting to see nothing which on the few times it did work it was pretty exciting and unexpected.

There were also some small sparks on an net above.

Danzibarr said:
I'm sure the on ride photo is just before the end of the ride?
On the backwards drop. Jim Rowland (former park manager) gives you the usual "Attention Viking warriors, you are about to have your photograph taken so please look up".

Pleasure Beach have announced that Winter Weekends will be taking place this year with Valhalla open - so I'm not sure if that puts to bed the rumours of a shut down this month until next year. I guess it does? Unless it's all going to be finished by December.

Is it still operating?

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ Doesn't sound too good then. I highly doubt anything will happen. The announcement of their new area pretty much announced that this isn't going to happen. The amount of work that is rumoured to go into this they could pretty much advertise it as a new attraction.

In response to the faster loading, I hope they don't speed it up! Employees here can be right dicks trying to loads the boats to full capacity at the speed they go. Any quicker and I think they'd internally combust.