What's new

Unsafe/dangerous rides and coasters

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Have you ever been on a ride or coaster that was genuinely unsafe and made you fear for your life? I haven't yet but im sure I will at some point.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I nearly fell out of a inverting pirate ship when I was a nipper, around 8 I think, was clinging onto the otsr's like my life depended on it. Been avoiding them until last year when I went on one, and it was awful.

Never on a coaster though.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Klondike Gold Mine, which was at Drayton Manor is now at Funland Amusement Park which is where I rode it last season. It is **** terrifying. Seriously scary, it was a rainy rainy day, when I first saw the coaster it looked like it was going to collapse anyway, I was the only person for miles, it looked like it hadn't been round for months.

The train slipped back on the lift hill twice, it leaned on the top quite severely and the loop was so steep, yet the train was moving so slow i lifted well off my seat. Never again.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Was that a Schwarzkopf looper Jordan? I remember my first spinning wild mouse ride almost threw me foward out of the car which was real scary

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I've been on some pretty dodgy wild-mouse style rides, such as the Blackpool Wild Mouse, and the Mad Mouse at Quassy. I'm not a big fan of Maurer X-Car style rides with hang time either - there's something about that restraint style that tends to unnerve me a bit.

There's also Cobra at Tivoli Friheden, which gets an honourable mention due to the fact that it had previously had a row of seats detach from the train and fall to the ground. I'm sure the trains had been properly repaired and checked since, but it's one of those things that tends to stick in the back of your mind when you're riding.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I never considered the Blackpool mouse dangerous, apart from the bit where you have to duck unless you want to get decapitated. The BPB mouse sits in 69/69 place in my coaster list :p It was just awful...I am sure ECG will disagree ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I do indeed. :p
I'm not sure any of the rides/coasters mentioned so far are unsafe or dangerous tbh. Just because it scared you or you feel like the ride might be dangerous, doesn't mean that it really is/was. Other than the Cobra incident that Andy mentioned, which wasn't exactly recent, have there been any accidents on any of those rides in the last few years?
The only rides that I've seen that seemed unsafe or dangerous were at a few American fairs I've been to and I definitely didn't take a chance on riding any of them.
Of course there was this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Abg6nmU_o[/youtube]

TilenB

Strata Poster
Blackpool's Revolution. I was sitting in the back row and there was something wrong with my restraint. The last click didn't happen and as I was sitting in the back row I got some serious airtime (I believe I even went airborne for a split second). It really felt like only my safety belt was keeping me from flying off the seat.

Smithy

Strata Poster
BPB Wild Mouse. Tried to strangle me, think I was trying too hard to keep steady. Horrible ride.

Didn't like riding Millenium Coaster at Fantasy Island without a seatbelt on the restraints when I had a bit of give in it, was holding on tightly, even though I knew I'd be fine.

Wilde Maus at Winter Wonderland scared me a little, but wouldn't say it was unsafe.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I think the airtime on revolution is normal because I got loads of backwards airtime on the front row and I found nothing wrong with my restraint

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
ECG said:
^I do indeed. :p
I'm not sure any of the rides/coasters mentioned so far are unsafe or dangerous tbh. Just because it scared you or you feel like the ride might be dangerous, doesn't mean that it really is/was.

In all honesty I doubt any ride/coaster anywhere is 'dangerous'. The safety testing that has to happen would surely prevent anything and everything? Of course things do happen, but often that's because people are being stupid, like standing up, or a 'once in a lifetime' freak accident like the TTD's cable snapping, doesn't mean it is 'dangerous', **** happens and all that.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
The Pinfari RC-48. I rode it at a local holiday fair. You are locked in with only one restraint and that one was failing. What a **** night.

Lofty

CF Legend
The Gauntlet, Camelot (same layout as Klondike).

It was THAT rough I received concussion and was hospitalised for 2 days - no joke.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Lofty said:
The Gauntlet, Camelot (same layout as Klondike).

It was THAT rough I received concussion and was hospitalised for 2 days - no joke.

Wuss!

I rode that after it had been moved to Southport Pleasureland. It was operated by a troll and maintained by the uruk hai at that point. It was fine, no severe back problems here at all, no, none at all... ;)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I've been on the funland one too - not a pleasant experience with it's low legroom!

BPBs wild mouse is FAB!

Steeplechase has to go down as one which makes you feel unsafe because of your seating position!

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
This thread sounds like it should be on Moms.com or something.

I assume most on the site follow the industry and understand basic statistics that the odds of getting injured (much less killed) while riding a ride are pretty slim.

So, to answer the question, I have never felt unsafe on a ride outside of the natural adrenaline that the ride was designed to induce.

/Snarky post

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You've just said exactly what I was thinking; this thread is making people look really **** ing stupid.